hi im in the process of whacking some new humbuckers , ive discovered im shite at soldering i was wondering if it would be fine to just use a connector block for the wiring it would make life alot easier and it would make changing pickups a doddle in the future ? thanks alex
well, you could, but i'm not sure how well would it hold together. The blocks aren't exactly heavy duty parts and it doesn't hold the cable that well, especially since the guitar is moving and resonating all the time (especially this could quite easily loosen the grip on the wires). You'd have to attach the block to something (either guitar itself or the back cover) and possibly shield it bit from the vibrations with some rubber or something. It should be more or less okey then. Would still probably require some tightening and fixing every now and then.

It would also affect the sound. By doing this you'd increase the impedance of the whole circuit and also might add some parasite capacity. Although I don't think the sound difference would be much audible.
Last edited by KorYi at Oct 7, 2011,
To be honest a connector block, as long as it's not a huge one, will work just as well if not better than solder joints, especially if you're not great at soldering. They're good enough for the wiring in your house, and for Seymour Duncan who have a similar solderless system
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
what kind of connector block are we talking about? my bass uses quick connects with crimp contacts. as long as you do a good job with the crimps, shouldnt be an issue.

Quote by KorYi
It would also affect the sound. By doing this you'd increase the impedance of the whole circuit and also might add some parasite capacity. Although I don't think the sound difference would be much audible.

that would be parasitic capacitance, not capacity. but a good connector is only going to increase the impedance minimally, and not enough to really matter in a guitar circuit.
Quote by jof1029
that would be parasitic capacitance, not capacity. but a good connector is only going to increase the impedance minimally, and not enough to really matter in a guitar circuit.

oh, sorry for that, english isn't my first language so some of my terminology (and grammar) is bit off