Page 1 of 2
I am in the market for my first serious electric guitar, and my budget is like 350 bucks so i was thinking a schecter omen 6, epiphone les paul studio or SG or a Strat. I just want to play everything from indie stuff to hardcore punk to metal.
ESP LTD EC-1000 vintage black
sunburst fender MIM tele
Epiphone LP standard ebony
Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Mesa/Boogie .50 caliber plus head
Marshall JCM900 Hi-gain MII 2500
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
Schecters, in my opinion, are like the guitars for all the kids who wanna be super broot and play avenged sevenfold through their line 6 spider.

Of course, Schecter does have some nice guitars, but those are in the range of 800-1000 dollars. I would go ahead and go with the Les Paul Studio and maybe eventually upgrade the pickups to Bareknuckle. Les Paul's pull off metal very well with the humbuckers and thick body, but can also do blues, punk, jazz, etc. fairly well.
Nah, the pickups may be best suited for metal, but im certain you can dial in some lighter tones with whatever amp you have.
Depends on how much abalone it has.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
^ Agreed. Another thing I'd like to add, is getting a good metal tone is almost all in the Amp and pickup. You can get the most br0000tzalll guitar ever but if you play it through a crappy amp it wont make a difference. But you could get a freakin fender jazzmaster, put it through a tube screamer into like a Framus Cobra and you would be ripping people's eardrums out. haha. The dude in The Devil Wears Prada was using a Fender Jazzmaster at Warped Tour and they had a sick tone
An Omen 6 would be fine for any kind of music. The Hellraisers are the ones that are more metal-y.
depends on the pickups equipped really.
EMG and blackout equipped models are usually aimed towards metal.
seymour duncan can usually do more shiz.
The abalone arguement as much as i'd like to use it doesnt count since the discontinued c1 classic had a shit tonne on that vine and it was one of the least metally c1s
Quote by scarter1192
^ Agreed. Another thing I'd like to add, is getting a good metal tone is almost all in the Amp and pickup. You can get the most br0000tzalll guitar ever but if you play it through a crappy amp it wont make a difference. But you could get a freakin fender jazzmaster, put it through a tube screamer into like a Framus Cobra and you would be ripping people's eardrums out. haha. The dude in The Devil Wears Prada was using a Fender Jazzmaster at Warped Tour and they had a sick tone

Is the Ibanez tube screamer pedal out there? is there a cheaper version.
ESP LTD EC-1000 vintage black
sunburst fender MIM tele
Epiphone LP standard ebony
Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Mesa/Boogie .50 caliber plus head
Marshall JCM900 Hi-gain MII 2500
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
No, I would not say they are only good for metal/heavy stuff. They're ok, they're not the best out there but they have good value for money. They have a fair amount of models. I have a Schecter Tempest Standard and I find it's pretty versatile and it's very comfortable to play, more so than my Epi LP in fact. It's mostly personal preference.

If you want hardcore punk/metal, I wouldn't recommend getting a strat. If you're looking at Schecters, a lot of their models have coil tap howeverI think the Epiphone LP might be your best option. I recommend the Standard over the Studio.

Also, go to a guitar shop and play them.

Quote by scarter1192
Schecters, in my opinion, are like the guitars for all the kids who wanna be super broot and play avenged sevenfold through their line 6 spider.

I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
Last edited by BeefWellington at Oct 7, 2011,
Quote by BeefWellington

Yeah it may be a bit of a stupid statement about guitars, BUT there is SOME truth about it, (not so much about the guitars) But A LOT of kids I see now are all running Spiders or something with either a Schecter/ESP Strat, tuned to like Drop A, and try to seem BRr00TuL MeTUl playing A7x, and stuff like that, not saying it's true, but there does seem to be a pattern about it.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by scarter1192

I assume I am an anomaly then because I dislike both Spiders and A7X, yet I own a Schecter?

EDIT: Sorry saw your above post, yes there is some truth to it but they are genuinely good guitars. Nooby br00tz kiddies owning the same guitar as you shouldn't make it any worse, especially if you can play it better than them which I assume you can.

TS, no they are not all built purely for metal. The Hellraiser I have is capable of a lot besides metal, that said it does have two active EMGs which are not the best for smooth cleans for example.
Last edited by Random3 at Oct 7, 2011,
Quote by coolstoryangus
Just look at a hellraiser. Its designed for metal in mind

i know people who tend to raise hell with free-form jazz
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
you play the music with the guitar so what you play is what it can do. any guitar can be used for any genre some may be better at certain ones than others but that's not to say you can't use any guitar you want.
Depends on the pickups, they have good action and are overall good entry - mid level guitars.. too bad their japanese more expensive models arent sold outside japan.. they all cost almost the same as a jem7v.. and are supposedly extreme EXTREME quality instruments.. too bad ive never touched one.
Quote by monwobobbo
you play the music with the guitar so what you play is what it can do. any guitar can be used for any genre some may be better at certain ones than others but that's not to say you can't use any guitar you want.

this.

you can use any guitar for anything, it's really a matter of personal taste. nothing to do with pickups - i know guys who like EMGs for country, etc...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Well that goes without saying but you cant say a schecter hellraiser (and whatever the blackout loaded model is called) isnt designed with metal in metal cause it is. Doesn't mean you cant play other stuff on it though..
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Oct 7, 2011,
The Schecter Stargazer is a pretty sweet guitar and I'd say it's not very metal at all.

Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Last edited by barden1069 at Oct 7, 2011,
I have a Schecter Hellraiser C1, Omen 6, ESP F series, MH100QM, Dean Razorback, and a Fender Elec Acoustic. I play a wide range and the C1 is my favorite. The EMG's are great for vintage rock (little punch) on a clean channel and a downright nasty (in a good light) Metal tone (Distorted by Behringer UM).

As said earlier, if you want Blues, Jazz, etc... buy a strat or SG.
I still play all styles on my C1, but it would have a better range if it had Duncan's instead of EMG's.

Schecters are notorious for smooth action, with the XJ frets, you need to have a relatively soft touch for true tones. I just had to file some frets and set the intonation when I bought mine.
Quote by Tango616
Yeah it may be a bit of a stupid statement about guitars, BUT there is SOME truth about it, (not so much about the guitars) But A LOT of kids I see now are all running Spiders or something with either a Schecter/ESP Strat, tuned to like Drop A, and try to seem BRr00TuL MeTUl playing A7x, and stuff like that, not saying it's true, but there does seem to be a pattern about it.

There's also some truth in saying the same thing about ESP. Or saying people get Ibanez's to shred weedly weedly bullshit. Doesn't really make it any less stupid
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Don't buy the Omen6, i had mine january 4th and im strugling to keep all toght on it. Everything comes loose in a second, and my nut is falling apart.
Schecter makes guitars suited to all kinds of genres. But they really suck at promoting them as anything but guitars for screamycore.
Quote by n1ckn1ce
Don't buy the Omen6, i had mine january 4th and im strugling to keep all toght on it. Everything comes loose in a second, and my nut is falling apart.

Then you take shitty care of your stuff. My Omen 6 was treated pretty badly before I got it and it's fine. It's freaking 5 years old
Gear:
MXR CAE WAH
Yep. If the guitar senses that it's being used with the gain anywhere below 75%, it'll spontaneously combust.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by DamagingExcess
There's also some truth in saying the same thing about ESP. Or saying people get Ibanez's to shred weedly weedly bullshit. Doesn't really make it any less stupid

Indeed.

Same with others, like Certain shapes, something about them have a pattern with the players, I find with like Stealths/xiphos/Warrior, all the players I see using them, are rad as hell, I don't think I've ever seen a bad player play any one of those guitars. They all tend to be awesome.

I know it's not the guitar, but it's a strange pattern involving it.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Last edited by Tango616 at Oct 9, 2011,
Quote by scarter1192

This. So much this.
Quote by n1ckn1ce

that doesn't mean they are all gonna be crap. build quality tends to vary, with these things. you got a dodgy one, doesn't mean they'll all be bad.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Tango616
Indeed.

Same with others, like Certain shapes, something about them have a pattern with the players, I find with like Stealths/xiphos/Warrior, all the players I see using them, are rad as hell, I don't think I've ever seen a bad player play any one of those guitars. They all tend to be awesome.

I know it's not the guitar, but it's a strange pattern involving it.

The only reason that trend is there because all the fags who see A7X and think Synester Gates is the best guitarist ever.
Gear:
MXR CAE WAH
Quote by DamagingExcess

(Invalid img)

Oom bam ba doom doom boo DAM
*SOLO*
Widdly WAAHHHHH
Boo doom doom bwah boom boom doom bwah
Widdly widdly widdly widdly widdly widdly widdly Wwwaaahhhhahhhhhgghhhh
so, not OP but since he mentioned a strat, and playing indie and metalcore....

what would you guys think about putting emgs on a strat?
two single coils in the neck and middle, and a humbucker in the bridge.

i kinda wanna do this, and i would think the SAs would sound good, but would the bridge humbucker sound too bright/twangy??
Quote by scarter1192

Of course, Schecter does have some nice guitars, but those are in the range of 800-1000 dollars. I would go ahead and go with the Les Paul Studio and maybe eventually upgrade the pickups to Bareknuckle. Les Paul's pull off metal very well with the humbuckers and thick body, but can also do blues, punk, jazz, etc. fairly well.

I own a C1 Classic with a SD Jazz set, and it suits everything fine. Hellraisers are the "super broot" guitars that are ruining schecter..
I'm considering buying a schecter c1 blackjack, but I have no way of actually playing one before I buy. Can anyone tell me how it stacks up against an epiphone les paul standard? how thick is the neck compared to the LP? similar feel?
You can play almost any genre on almost any guitar. It's just it'll sound a lot better if you use a guitar suited to your genre.
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
A C1 Blackjack plays like butter. The neck is a compound design with a big fat low end for chords that flattens up for shredding above the twelfth fret. The fretwork on Blackjack guitars is great and so are all of the components. If you have a deal lined up then jump on it.
Quote by Tom 1.0
Depends on how much abalone it has.

The infinitely wise Tom has spoken!

If it's your first guitar though, I'd recommend going with a cheaper guitar that you can fiddle around with. I love Schecters but if you get a really nice Omen 6 and find out that maybe guitar isn't for you, it's gonna be a waste of money... then again you could end up selling it really cheap on craigslist and I'll end up buying it
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
Hmm...May 27th to May 20th? Either you meant 30th or you're some kind of time traveler.

Choose your steel. Be the hero or die the fool.
Just face me on this burning bridge and show me
which side you choose.

>>Listen to my metulz!<<
Quote by scarter1192

Well; given that they've made Robert Smith and Porl Thompson signature models, I think it is safe to say Schecter isn't entirely dedicated to metal.

Lord, those are ugly...
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Oct 10, 2011,
(Invalid img)
(Invalid img)
(Invalid img)
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
Got a Schecter C-1 Classic.

I got it to play Prog Metal. Replaced the Duncan JB with a X2N to get a more tighter and "lol brootz" tone. Honestly, the Jazz in the neck is amazing. Sweeps sound smooth, nice cleans, great for well, jazz! Nails a good Shawn Lane-esque tone. The JB is much more of a rock pickup, plus I enjoy break up on the clean channel, which the X2N provides.

So, are they for Metal? Hellraisers are, Most C-1's are. The exotic pointy shapes attract the "lol brootz" kids. The Strat, Tele, and Hollow body models are not.

Do they screw themselves by endorsing well-known Metal or Hard Rock guitarists and putting EMGs/Blackouts in almost every high-end guitar? Absolutely.
Page 1 of 2