I have a Vypyr 75 and want to record some guitar tracks to my computer. I play heavy metal along with some Pink Floyd stuff. I don't want to break the bank buying a microphone so if I can pick 1 up for under $150 that would be great. Please give me some suggestions as I am clueless when it comes to microphones.
Quote by FireHawk
Quick question that needs to be pointed out. Will he need to run an impulse behind the USB connection if he were to choose to do that?

Yes, he will, as it isn't running through any speakers. However, if the amp already has speaker simulation (he should know, and it probably says in many places online but I can't be arsed to google it ) then he should be ok with using any IR's, though I have my doubts as to the quality of any speaker simulation on that amp.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Just use the USB out on it, I've heard alot of cool stuff done with the USB out on those amps.

this.
will save you a LOT of money.
NEW SIGNATURE!
Unless you already have an interface of some sort, definitely go with the USB option provided by your amp as others have said. $150 is really cutting it short for buying a decent interface AND a good mic.

That being said, if you have an interface - I'd honestly suggest the Shure SM58 over the SM57. I've always heard that they are the exact same mic, just the 58 has the grille on it, and I finally put it to the test the other day doing some reamps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlKlewX04E0

Remove the grille and you have the same mic, but you also have the added versatility of using it as a live vocal mic, or for demo recordings.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Unless you already have an interface of some sort, definitely go with the USB option provided by your amp as others have said. $150 is really cutting it short for buying a decent interface AND a good mic.

That being said, if you have an interface - I'd honestly suggest the Shure SM58 over the SM57. I've always heard that they are the exact same mic, just the 58 has the grille on it, and I finally put it to the test the other day doing some reamps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlKlewX04E0

Remove the grille and you have the same mic, but you also have the added versatility of using it as a live vocal mic, or for demo recordings.

I'd rather have the '57 to track guitars with for the oppsite reason, that being that I don't have to remove the windshield to record them how I want, and the '58 is more delicate with the windshield removed, as the '57 has some form of windshield/grille in place of the '58s larger one

That's a nice comparison, however, and it proves the point of similarity perfectly with the '57 and '58-minus-windshield being much closer matched than the '57 and fake '57! In the past I considered getting a Beta 57A, but kinda glad I didn't and bought a Sennheiser e906 as the Beta 57 really doesn't sound different enough/better than the standard 57 to justify the price jump, in my opinion, whereas the e906 is varied enough for me to combine with the '57 for some nice sounds
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Oct 9, 2011,