Hi everyone,

Thought I'd come and make a thread in the drum forum as I'll probably end up having a few questions and such. I've been playing for about a week, trying to just get a basic level of proficiency down and go from there really.

Apologies for the essay!

The kit I'm using is my friend's Tama Stagestar kit which he leaves round mine as we jam every so often. He gave me some cheap/thin/clunky sounding hi hats and a crash cymbal that came with the kit.

The kit is fine, but probably a little bit out of tune, for example the toms sound good but the relative pitch between them is out, I can probably sort that out or perhaps even get someone round to have a go. The cymbals obviously don't sound too good and will probably break at some point. But no matter for the moment.

So far I've been either playing a bit each day, or hitting the sticks on pillows and operating the kick pedal against my bed, and I'm starting to get a bit more solid and confident, which is a good start. And I'm panicking less and hitting the bass drum on every beat whenever I mess up!

Apart from just working on the co-ordination between hands and feet, the main problem I've been having is getting a consistent kick sound going. While I think this is mainly down my lack of practice, I've played on a few kits with better kick pedals in the past and have tended to find them much easier to use, so I'm wondering whether getting an inexpensive replacement such as this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mapex-P500-Bass-Drum-Pedal/dp/B003HGP996/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1318011967&sr=8-3

Would make much difference between the cruder pedal that came with the kit? It's basically the same design in that the pedal's frame is relatively frail, but the construction looks better and the beater isn't as fuzzy. I'm not as worried about the beater's sound for now, I'd just like a more slightly stable action to get a more consistent kick. Other drummers who've used it but can actually play seem to have the same problem with it too.

At the moment I can do a few different basic beats at fairly slow tempos with the kick, snare and either a tom or hi hat and add in the odd cymbal hit. Some of the beats are really simple but a couple of them are a bit more complex and stuff. I'm staying in time fine with that simple things.

I'm now gonna try some basic fills and movement round the kit. My co-ordination's still quite off so I'm unilaterally messing up when I move from one piece of the kit to another, and when I'm trying to do a simple drum fill I'm losing a lot of sound because I'm not currently able to do keep up/add kick underneath it. Eventually I'd like to play along to songs but I don't have the confidence or the chops to do stuff at concert speed yet.

I feel like I'm starting to get the basics down though.

Any hints/suggestions/comments/encouragement/questions etc would be really cool.
You can always check www.drumlessons.com. You will find everything you need there. Just make sure to watch videos all the way through, you never know what you will find useful.

Good luck!
Quote by Victory2134
You're just so energetic and cute. Exactly what I want in a pet squirrel, except you're a person.

I kindly ask you to correct my grammar. And also to smile.
BUY A METRONOME. It doesnt matter what you can do, if you cant do it in time nobody will want to hear it. Unless you are Lars of course, but thats a different story.

I would also recommend a practice pad. Beating on pillows isnt necessarily the best way to practice. Most of your speed will come from learning rebound control, something you cant get on a pillow.

I also recommend practicing rudiments to gain hand speed. I am not a rudiment Nazi, but they are a very important part of developing your chops. Even warming up with parradiddles will teach you to alternate hands and should help with consistancy on left/right stoke power.

The bass drum pedal shouldn't matter as long as it isnt broken. You just need keep practicing and you will get it. Independence is the most difficult part of learning to play the drums.

The best advice I can give is to play as much as you can. That is really the only way to get better. Good Luck.
Last edited by leo4sf at Oct 10, 2011,
You should definitely try playing a simple beat on a lesson website. It's best to start off slow so your limbs can get used to playing the rhythm. Then when you feel confident enough speed it up!
Just because Lil Wayne sold a million albums doesn't make him good. It just means a million idiots bought his album.
Thanks for the replies guys, at the moment I'm just doing really simple stuff to try and get the proficiency and co-ordination going, I think my technique's improving a bit too. I've also been playing left handed a bit, just to see if I could do it, then I realised that it'd actually helped the co-ordination.

Sorry if this sounds arrogant but I don't need a metronome because my sense of timing's nigh on perfect and once I nail something I can do it flawlessly. (I've been playing and recording music for almost ten years so am solid in that respect). I've been playing along to slower stuff on my MP3 player and nailing the grooves and tempos, but not the full drum parts.

It's starting to get there now, moving to cymbals and toms is still a problem but it'll get there.