Hello,

My guitar project idea *

None of my friends are guitar geeks unfortunately and so I thought it would be worth asking for advice on here.

Trying to turn my black Fender squier which looks like this ----> http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=black+fender+squier+strat&hl=en&biw=1366&bih=667&gbv=2&tbm=isch&tbnid=fPKaucWU6bPLbM:&imgrefurl=http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Nixkleber/pictures/gear/536587/&docid=suw-JMDdsqf_sM&w=300&h=921&ei=wUqPTujLHIjM0QW5kNka&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=318&vpy=84&dur=1129&hovh=394&hovw=128&tx=90&ty=225&page=1&tbnh=203&tbnw=66&start=0&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0

Into a replica of this ------> http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=kurt+cobains+black+fender&um=1&hl=en&biw=1366&bih=667&tbm=isch&tbnid=s-XxqPdVhhIyCM:&imgrefurl=http://www.geeks.co.uk/styled/4346-fender-guitars-a-whos-who-of-music.html&docid=ksnW1qItiN5v7M&w=250&h=311&ei=_kqPTtvpMMuV0QX2t4kr&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=176&vpy=168&dur=235&hovh=248&hovw=200&tx=141&ty=165&page=1&tbnh=139&tbnw=112&start=0&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0

I have previously found a replica which obviously some one else has created and here is a picture! ( this is a much easier picture look at than the original) ---> http://media.photobucket.com/image/kurt%20cobains%20black%20fender/rufus3871/DSCN0038.jpg

Basically, I want to know which black scratch plate I must buy as I need one which will fit a black humbucker? as I heard some times they don't always allign properly with the screw holes. Any addition advice on removing the scratch plate will also be really helpful as I have never done this before.

That brings me onto the humbucker.... I can't find anything offical on which humbucker he used however I did find one forum which reckoned he used one of these ----> http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&q=Seymour+Duncan+JB&gs_upl=2531l2531l0l2747l1l1l0l0l0l0l0l0ll0l0&um=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1366&bih=667&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=12409939815825128636&sa=X&ei=YOCOTpaSKLKW0QXE75Ab&ved=0CF4Q8wIwAg

However I have also been told that DiMarzio pick ups are good for grunge? and if so which one would you recommend?

p.s If anyone can direct me to any step by step guides on how to do any of the above I would also be grateful!

Many many many Thanks!
Well if its for grunge then all you really need is the bridge pickup of a PRS Custom SE and an MXR DistortionPlus. Works wonders.

On another hand, changing the pickguard is quite easy, seeing that you might also do some rewiring for the pickups, even though i reccomend to upgrade all the electronics, its just a unscrew and rescrew on order to the new pickguard. About getting a PG, try getting a Fender brand one or if can't find it then a GFS one, even though the likeliness of having a GFS one with the holes where u need them is hard its also well worth it, its an easy thing to fix, and the type is just an HSS PG with black/white/black colors.

Mmm, you will need a solderer to replace the pups and probably get an awesome pickup also for grunge and a little heavier stuff is the Seymour Duncan SH-6. Remember to reshield the insides of your Squier or it will be a noise fest, ill be around if u have nayother questions
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Thank God.. your exactly the kind of person I need on this. Wish my friends were like you, my partner must be getting fed up of me talking about "guitars"!

Ok a few questions:

1) what do you mean by re shield the insides of my guitar? ( I am completely new to this in fact I have never changed the strings before, Yes you will probably laugh but you seem quite friendly =D.

2) I forgot to mention that I phoned my local guitar shop earlier today and they believed a standard stratocaster scratch plate may not fit my squier strat? I would be so grateful if you could provide a link to a black scratch plate with a white trim.

Obviously I am nirvana mad so.. if you believe that there are better pick ups for grunge I will take your word for it, I really want a sound that is very close to Kurt's. I will look at the suggestions you made and maybe ditch the SH-4

Thanks for the advice!
Oh thanks for the nice words Glad to explain, that's why we are here at GBnC, sorry my phone is dumb and wont let me put the "and" sign lol.

By reshield i mean to get copper foil and put it in the walls of the cavities inside your guitar, this way it will make less or no hum at all and plus it might help sound a little bit. The copper foil is quite cheap so don't worry.

About the scratch plate, i would tell you guitar fetish is the place, they have ALOT of different ones, but as i said some screwholes may be off but you can take care of that EASY by filling them with wood glue and a toothpick and just putting the screw in the new place and screwing it in, it will make a hole for itself and don't worry about splitting the wood since they are small screws that's unlikely.

And about the pickups, at the end i will tell you to think what i suggested but research and try to find in youtube videos of guitars with them in it so you can make your desicion for it based on that, just remember that at the end it will depend more on your amp :p so work on that too, and if all else fails, get a 7 band EQ and tune in your perfect tone hehehe. BTW i reccomended the SH-6 but they are heavier than the SH-4, look them up, they sound perfect distorted and more perfect for metal and well good clean, but they should fare grunge on a high enough level.

If you want the neck to be darker (like Kurt's as opposed to the replica), you will want to cover ALL the maple (lighter colour wood) with blue painters tape, very carefully and fully, absolutely perfectly (it's not as hard as this makes it sound), and put some steel wool in some white vinegar until it dissolves, then add some more until it's saturated and then soak some up in a rag and wipe down the rosewood (darker coloured, fingerboard part) with it. After about 2 minutes put some ammonia on it (once again with a rag) and then condition it with lemon oil.

Or you may be able to use leather dye/shoe polish.

While you're doing this, change out the tuning pegs for better ones.

As far as the new pickguard, output jack, etc. goes, I'd recommend Warmoth (where you can get pickups, jack, knobs, shielding tape, and anything else pretty much) if you have money or GFS if you're doing this on a slightly smaller budget.
Some sellers on E-bay let you print out a template of specific pickguards so you can try before you buy! good luck and enjoy your project
The only problem I can for see, is that the humbucker might not actually fit. You should remove your old pickguard and post a picture of the routing of the body. A normal 11 hole should fit, but you may have to drill a hole or two. Like posted above, filling the old holes is very easy.

My 20th Anniversary Squier will not accept a full size humbucker. I made my Squier more like Kurts other strat, where he used a Single Coil sized Humbucker, like a SeymourDuncan Hot Rail.

Are you trying to fully replicate THAT strat, or just make a Kurt Cobain-esque Strat?
Thanks for all this advice and tips guys I am certainly impressed at the response this thread is getting.

I am certainly thinking about the SH-6, and I have made notes on the re shield process.
Had a look at guitarfetish and found out that they do ship to the U.K I THINK*. I found a 11 hole scratch plate on there and also the 3 knobs I need.. however I can't find a black switch tip and I really don't like ebay!

As for posting a picture of the routing.. is it possible to take the scratchplate off without removing the strings? ( I doubt it is.. ) as I'm not quite ready to remove the stings yet.

P.s Yes I would like to fully replicate Kurt's strat, or try to get it as close to his as possible (Big nirvana fan) =D

Thanks !
Its good to see new younger people get into music that was around 20 yrs ago (wow!!) I still remember geting Bleach and jamming out for days.

On topic, GFS is a very good site, I order pickups, switches, tuners, ect. from them at lest once a month. Great if your on a budget, but sitll want a good degree of quality.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by mentalynirvana
Thanks for all this advice and tips guys I am certainly impressed at the response this thread is getting.

I am certainly thinking about the SH-6, and I have made notes on the re shield process.
Had a look at guitarfetish and found out that they do ship to the U.K I THINK*. I found a 11 hole scratch plate on there and also the 3 knobs I need.. however I can't find a black switch tip and I really don't like ebay!

As for posting a picture of the routing.. is it possible to take the scratchplate off without removing the strings? ( I doubt it is.. ) as I'm not quite ready to remove the stings yet.

P.s Yes I would like to fully replicate Kurt's strat, or try to get it as close to his as possible (Big nirvana fan) =D

Thanks !

GFS should have a switch tip for you. And nope, to see the routing you will have to remove the strings. Maybe someone has the same model Squier here and can tell you the routing.

That black strat went through many transformations, at one time it even had a Fernandez neck on it (seen in the Live at Paramount show). You will want to lock down the bridge, but Kurt still only used 3 bridge springs (a lot of people use 5 when they lock it down). He usually Duct Taped his straps on also, as he played so aggressively. I thought I heard the pickup he had in that one most was a SeymourDuncan JB, at one time he used a Single Size Humbucker in it, I think a JB Junior. If you really want to go all our Kurt, just cut your existing pickguard to hold a humbucker, that is what he did on that strat. You probably also have 500k pots in there, Kurt used the 250k pots in his strats, since that is what they came with. He also usually just wired the Volume and First Tone pot, leaving the 3rd one unwired and just holding the knob.

Dont forget the "Vandalism: As Beautiful as a Rock in a Cop's Face" Sticker

EDIT: And good luck, I am a huge Kurt Cobain/Nirvana fan, its good to see there are others out there!

EDIT 2: It would actually appear that he completely removed the 3rd knob/pot in the black one.
Last edited by Wylde_Life at Oct 7, 2011,
Thechnically, if you leave some 3 or 4 windngs of slack in your strings just loosen them until they are almost off ad you can check underneath the pickguard or almost take it off enough to check inside. That way you know what routing ya got there.

He didn't remove the pot, just the knob.

Also if you are gonna order from guitar fetish take the time to buy all ir most of what you need from them since islts nicely priced and well above average quality, it will be a HUGE improvement from squier electronics.

Glad to hear you have made desicions on the pickups man remember you can always search others on youtube and see if your ears might tingle for something else hehe.

Last edited by Heilz at Oct 7, 2011,
Little late to the party, but I thought I'd throw this out if you haven't seen it. Not too much info on his Strats, but here's info of his stage setup from the Nevermind tour:

http://guitargeek.com/rigview/84/

Only real info is for the Jaguar, DiMarzio pickups, super distortion on the bridge.

Love Nirvana. One of my major inspirations to get into music.
Gear
  • 2004 Am. Strat
  • 2004 Mex. Tele
  • 2005 Esteve Classical

• Vox Valvetronix AD15VT w/ foot switch

• Vox 847
  • EH Stereo Polychorus
  • Ibanez TS-808
  • EH Big Muff Germanium 4
  • EH Small Clone
  • EH Small Stone (USA Ver 2)
  • EH LPB-1
  • PlusEBow
Quote by Heilz
Thechnically, if you leave some 3 or 4 windngs of slack in your strings just loosen them until they are almost off ad you can check underneath the pickguard or almost take it off enough to check inside. That way you know what routing ya got there.

He didn't remove the pot, just the knob.

Yes, you can do it that way... I just prefer to do it during a string change... although I do change my strings a lot.

I couldn't tell from the pictures, I thought there was a hint of a pot there, but couldn't tell for sure. I do remember reading an interview from a tech that said Kurt never wired that 3rd pot though, just went Master Volume and Master Tone. I totally took the pot out on my Kurt-Esque strat.
Found the pic of the guitar I was looking for:

You were absolutely right about the 2nd Tone being just knob-less.
i dont know if you want to get a perfect copy but then you wouldnt need the switch tip (see Wylde-life's picture)
Exactly. TS if I were you, I would just go for a black strat with a humbucker at the bridge. Kurt's strat changed so much in his time with it, first it was a early 90's Japanese Strat with all Single Coils and all knobs, then he put a Single Size Bucker in the bridge, then he cut the pickguard and put in that Humbucker, then it just losts the knob and tip as well as gained a few scratches. Along the way it also went through several neck changes. If you want to recreate it exactly though, that is really cool. Drag the guitar across the stage by its cord a few times, and then have Krist try to hit it with his bass like a baseball... should achieve similar wear marks, haha.
Hey guys sorry for late reply, have been busy today!

Ikr if you're a big fan of Nirvana it's really nice to see others who share the same passion.

Some really interesting posts guys, can't thank you enough for all this information. It may be some time before I start this project so like I said I have pasted a lot of information from these posts into a word document. If anyone of you Nirvana fans wish to keep in contact somehow then I'm sure I can send you a photo in the future!

Many Thanks!
While I was never a big fan of Kurt, his legacy, to ME, at least, was putting a stop to the manicured poodles ("hair bands") that were ruining modern rock music. While he wasn't a great player, in the Page/Hendrix sense, he WAS a great songwriter, and his music will be like "I Love Lucy"- it will still be played and enjoyed for generations to come. I still believe he was assassinated for wanting to retire, cancel the Lollapalooza tour, go to school, and become an author.
My money is on the JB model humbucker.
You can darken the fretboard with minwax woodsheen-wipe it on, wipe it right back off.
Most of those Squires have universal routing.(all of mine do).
The GFS stuff I have tried is great.
Kurt wouldn't have worried about the holes not lining up for the pickguard-neither shoud you.
CNILE
"Life's too short for bad tone"-Rev. Billy Gibbons
No the strat pickguard should have holes for the pickup mount
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Nope, if you buy a pickguard made for a Humbucker, it will have holes to mount to, and if you choose to just cut your pickguard, you would make the holes.