What do you all think of the Quilted Maple Top Strats that Fender made for a few years? I think they stopped making them a couple of years ago. Ones I've seen have looked very cool, but I'm curious if the sound is much affected?

Is it wrong to get a Strat that doesn't really look like a Strat?
no it's not wrong to get a strat that doesn't look like a strat 'cause strats are ugly
nice guitar, i had one but recently traded it for a custom shop job.

i wanted a more classic feel and look.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
the maple top is just a laminate for looks so no it won't affect the sound appreciably. nothing wrong with a cool looking guitar so if you like it go for it.
As I recall, they were fine guitars. They had ebony fretboards and locking tuners and played fantastically. I don't know how often they come up for sale used, though. In the last couple of years I've seen only one Telecaster of that series up for sale. A good quilt or flame maple Strat is a thing of beauty. Just take a look at the ones made by Warmoth and you'll see for yourself.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by rschleicher

Is it wrong to get a Strat that doesn't really look like a Strat?

Yes. You will spontaneously combust as soon as the transaction is complete.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
It looks like the guitar got leprosy :/ hideous. Get a normal classic strat man.
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
Quote by W4T3V3R
It looks like the guitar got leprosy :/ hideous. Get a normal classic strat man.

i did.

http://www.guitarvillage.co.uk/productdetail.aspx?pid=10628&c=105

it may not be quite 'classic' with a humbucker at the bridge but i had the chance to compare it with the same model in SSS format, and the 'bucker gives an extra edge.

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix