Page 1 of 47
Has anyone been following the Occupy Wallstreet protests? I have actually been following it long before the mainstream media bothered to give it a minute. I think they need to get more organized to get anything done, but the movement is certainly growing.
Quote by carlmarl
Has anyone been following the Occupy Wallstreet protests? I have actually been following it long before the mainstream media bothered to give it a minute. I think they need to get more organized to get anything done, but the movement is certainly growing.

Hipster confirmed. Also, yes, we've been following it in the other Occupy ____ thread(s). I suggest you go there with this.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Quote by carlmarl

I really want to punch you.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I get the impression that those people just want to protest so they're trying hard to figure out what to protest.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
After 2 years of tea party chuckleheads dominating the media narrative, finally a protest movement that actually makes sense. You have to thank the NYPD for the free publicity.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.

^make note i chose the hipster mac using version of this pic

Quote by ErikLensherr
After 2 years of tea party chuckleheads dominating the media narrative, finally a protest movement that actually makes sense. You have to thank the NYPD for the free publicity.

fo realz?

Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by rgrockr
I get the impression that those people just want to protest so they're trying hard to figure out what to protest.

I posted this in the other thread, but I think it's pretty relevant here also:

"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by rgrockr

Yeah and in the meantime, their 'protest' is just them wasting their time doing this:
Quote by JimmyBanks6

fo realz?

Yes. They may be lacking concrete goals but even vague anger directed at the people who actually caused the financial crisis makes more sense than anger directed against unions, taxes, immigrants, etc.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
+1

If anyone bothered to look past the charade the media is putting on, it's pretty clear just what #Occupy is protesting. They're disorganized, but the movement is almost unambiguously poor v. rich, exploited v. exploiters. I just don't see where the confusion come in.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Yes. They may be lacking concrete goals but even vague anger directed at the people who actually caused the financial crisis makes more sense than anger directed against unions, taxes, immigrants, etc.

Financial crisis?

last i checked the recession in 08 was caused by morons taking out mortgages for hundred thousand dollar houses on 40k incomes.

the recent market turmoil is caused by greece, italy and spain for the most part.

these are just a bunch of lazy hipsters mad at "the man" and dont even know why they are rioting.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by due 07
What? First of all, they aren't "rioting." If anyone is out of line, it's the police. Secondly, that's a myth. People know what they're protesting against.
Examples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yrT-0Xbrn4
http://wsws.org/articles/2011/oct2011/intv-o06.shtml

ive read the description on their site, they have no idea why they are rioting.

i also just read that wsws description until they compared the riots to egypt and the middle east riots (libya, syria), laughed at the stupidity and arrogance, and closed the page.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by JimmyBanks6
i also just read that wsws description until they compared the riots to egypt and the middle east riots (libya, syria), laughed at the stupidity and arrogance, and closed the page.

+1

Let me add one more to your signature.

jimmybanks, ur a genius
Quote by JimmyBanks6
ive read the description on their site, they have no idea why they are rioting.

They aren't riots! They're peaceful protests. Quit trying to marginalize them by taking nonsensical cheap shots.

If you look at it in context, those comparisons aren't too far fetched. All they meant was these protests are in the epoch of mass protests all over the globe.
Quote by due 07
If you look at it in context, those comparisons aren't too far fetched.

Why don't you compare and see for yourself:

Egypt:

Wall Street:
Quote by due 07
They aren't riots! They're peaceful protests. Quit trying to marginalize them by taking nonsensical cheap shots.

If you look at it in context, those comparisons aren't too far fetched. All they meant was these protests are in the epoch of mass protests all over the globe.

A protest with no point is like a meeting with no discussion -> a waste of time and resources.

on a seperate note, you tend to think anything that disagrees with your view is "a cheap shot" or "people spiting you" (as noted in the ace thead) insecure much?
and im not trying to sound like a prick (which i likely do) but really....

Quote by behind_you
+1

Let me add one more to your signature.

jimmybanks, ur a genius

thx dude

ill see if i got space to fit that in

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by JimmyBanks6
Financial crisis?

last i checked the recession in 08 was caused by morons taking out mortgages for hundred thousand dollar houses on 40k incomes.

No that'd be the cause of the housing bubble, although I find it hard to blame buyers too much when those mortgages were pushed heavily on them by brokers so they could be repackaged into securities and sold to investors. That's what actually caused the crisis. It's sad really, because the device banks used to overleverage themselves based on these BS investments, when invented at JP Morgan, actually worked to disperse risk. But people get greedy and irrational and that's how the collapse of banks like Lehman Brothers and Bear Stearns happens.

Quote by JimmyBanks6
these are just a bunch of lazy hipsters mad at "the man" and dont even know why they are rioting.

Who are we talking about? I haven't noticed any riots lately.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
Quote by JimmyBanks6
Financial crisis?

You are confusing proximate and ultimate causes here. It's like saying that world war two was caused by Hitler, technically correct but only in a shallow sense, and entirely useless in actually understanding anything or learning anything.

If you want to get a handle on how the current crisis came about in ultimate terms I'd suggest starting with this book, if you haven't read it already:
http://www.amazon.com/Freefall-America-Markets-Sinking-Economy/dp/0393075966
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by behind_you
Why don't you compare and see for yourself:

Egypt:

Wall Street:

You took that sentence out of context when I specifically stated in that sentence to keep things in context. These protests obviously aren't calling for a political revolution, that's not what I meant.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
You are confusing proximate and ultimate causes here. It's like saying that world war two was caused by Hitler, technically correct but only in a shallow sense, and entirely useless in actually understanding anything or learning anything.

If you want to get a handle on how the current crisis came about in ultimate terms I'd suggest starting with this book, if you haven't read it already:
http://www.amazon.com/Freefall-America-Markets-Sinking-Economy/dp/0393075966

hmm that does look interesting, nope havent read it, but ill try to get my hands on it.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by jakesmellspoo
Quote by JimmyBanks6
A protest with no point is like a meeting with no discussion -> a waste of time and resources.

on a seperate note, you tend to think anything that disagrees with your view is "a cheap shot" or "people spiting you" (as noted in the ace thead) insecure much?
and im not trying to sound like a prick (which i likely do) but really....

There is a point. In the broadest terms, it's to end "corporate greed." I don't know why you don't think there's a point. Have you seen any pictures of the protests?

That's not what I meant at all. It's not that you "disagree with my view." It's that you seem hellbent on referring to peaceful protests as "riots" -- presumably to make them sound less credible/more wild -- which only makes you sound like you don't know what is going on with #Occupy at all.

To be honest, I'm wondering if we're even talking about the same thing here. You seem to be spouting off random strings of words that don't apply to #Occupy at all.
Hashtags outside twitter make me want to #MurderEveryone.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by due 07
There is a point. In the broadest terms, it's to end "corporate greed." I don't know why you don't think there's a point. Have you seen any pictures of the protests?

That's not what I meant at all. It's not that you "disagree with my view." It's that you seem hellbent on referring to peaceful protests as "riots" -- presumably to make them sound less credible/more wild -- which only makes you sound like you don't know what is going on with #Occupy at all.

To be honest, I'm wondering if we're even talking about the same thing here. You seem to be spouting off random strings of words that don't apply to #Occupy at all.

1- I posted pics of the 'protests' for all to see and judge
2- There's nothing jimmybanks can do to make the 'protests' seem less credible since they are not credible at all (no unified goal)
3- You're not using Twitter, cut the hashtag crap
How many of these threads do we need to start?
Last edited by WaterGod at Oct 7, 2011,
Quote by due 07

They have no unified goal and no demands that make follow in their idea to stop "corporate greed"

They want to stop corporate greed, and i want to stop unsustainable energy use, but hey, i dont have a way to complete that either, and protesting about oil isnt going to fix anything without a real solution to switch to.

Its honestly a waste of time and resources, they arent going to fix anything, and wallstreet is just laughing at them. Its a good idea executed poorly and therefore a waste of time. Give me a real way to change the issues that is plausible, and maybe i will take them seriously.

what im trying to say worded poorly is: without a plausible solution, you cant change.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Last edited by JimmyBanks6 at Oct 7, 2011,
Quote by behind_you

2- There's nothing jimmybanks can do to make the 'protests' seem less credible since they are not credible at all (no unified goal)

There is a quite clear unified goal actually, and that is the removal of Corporatism from government. That kind of a problem is incredibly pervasive and disparate, it is unsurprising that responses to it would therefore be broad and diverse.

There are many ways to skin a cat, but the aim of all of those ways is ultimately to have a skinless cat.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
No unified goals? For an ad hoc protest, they seem to have some pretty clear goals and demands there.
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by JimmyBanks6
Give me a real way to change the issues that is plausible, and maybe i will take them seriously.

what im trying to say worded poorly is: without a plausible solution, you cant change.

http://occupywallst.org/forum/proposed-list-of-demands-please-help-editadd-so-th/
Quote by jakesmellspoo
Quote by due 07
+1

If anyone bothered to look past the charade the media is putting on, it's pretty clear just what #Occupy is protesting. They're disorganized, but the movement is almost unambiguously poor v. rich, exploited v. exploiters. I just don't see where the confusion come in.

Yeah I'm not even close to well off too(not saying poor because there's people who probably have it waaaaay worse then I), not gonna really go into detail because thats personal, but I'm taking SOME goddamn responsibility for my financial status.

Obviously it wasn't my choice/I had no say on being born into a country during a period of financial crisis, not be well off, etc etc.
But what is my choice/responsibility is taking advantage of what I can to better my situation. If i don't have shit for money, have a bad paying job and no education I'm gonna change that. That's why I'm going to a tech institute so when I'm out of college I can decide my own situation.

What I've seen about a lot of supporters(atleast in the Boston area) in the organization is that it's 18-24 year old kids who don't have careers paths, don't go to college and grew up in an age where there parents handed them everything on a silver platter. And now Instead of taking responsibility for their current situation and making the best of it though a lot of them expect the gov't to give them handouts instead of them going out and making careers of themselves.
And then what really bugs me is when they think the gov't is 'opressing' them, persecuting them, etc.

I'm well aware the gov't needs to change its policies and the people who are in charge of the economy here need to do something and do it quick to create jobs but this movement I just can't side with.

YES corporate greed needs to end and
YES politicians need to create policies that create jobs. But a lot of this movement is completely irrelevant to this notion.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
Last edited by vicarious46 at Oct 7, 2011,
Quote by ErikLensherr

if you had read through the other thread you would realize i have read and commented on those, actually defending their use of youtube as a source at one point...

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by JimmyBanks6
if you had read through the other thread you would realize i have read and commented on those, actually defending their use of youtube as a source at one point...

So you agree those are plausible solutions?
Quote by jakesmellspoo
Quote by behind_you
1- I posted pics of the 'protests' for all to see and judge

1. How likely to you think it is that maybe the media (read: corporations) picked the most outrageous people to make the protests seem like a joke, or even circus?
2. If you look at, for example, the unions marching in solidarity, you sound awfully silly claiming there's no credibility because there's no "unified goal." (What does that even mean? Because there is a unified goal. I've already covered that.)
Quote by JimmyBanks6
They have no unified goal and no demands that make follow in their idea to stop "corporate greed"

They want to stop corporate greed, and i want to stop unsustainable energy use, but hey, i dont have a way to complete that either, and protesting about oil isnt going to fix anything without a real solution to switch to.

Its honestly a waste of time and resources, they arent going to fix anything, and wallstreet is just laughing at them. Its a good idea executed poorly and therefore a waste of time. Give me a real way to change the issues that is plausible, and maybe i will take them seriously.

You guys keep on using the same rhetoric. There's definitely a unified goal, however broad or general it may be.

And you keep on changing moving your position on the matter. First they're "lazy hipsters who just want to riot," and now they're poorly executing a "good idea." Make up your mind.
Not gunna start a war over this but the American recession also has a little something to do with this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_War

You can not fight a war for over 8 years time and expect it to not run you into debt. Each one of the tomahawk cruise missles they fired at Iraq, cost between $569,000 (old ones) to $1.45 MILLION (new ones) EACH and I know something like 50 were launched in the first strike. That shit adds up yo. America's recession has nothing to do with Greece or Libya or Egypt.

Also I agree that they are just damn dirty hipsters that need to get a REAL job. Sorry but its a democracy you have the power to vote, you voted the people in its your fault live with it! And if you are trying to protest private companies....well then your just retarded, simply put...its a private company they have no obligation to help out anyone.