I struck gold in a nearby pawn shop, for $230, I got this 1986 Model 4 Charvel:

Made in Japan, American basswood body and dark rosewood fretboard.
Appears to be in overall great shape, all black hardware, black Jackson tuners, Made in USA Kahler 2300.
The electronics are altered slightly, it has the stock active midboost circuit, but the middle pot has been changed to a push/pull to coil tap the bridge humbucker (which oddly enough, it's not a pot, it's a black box that says AB mod pot on top of it).
Now, the bridge humbucker, I confirmed was a Dimarzio by reading the baseplate, and from what research I've done, it appears to be a discontinued Dimarzio Megadrive pickup.

This guitar plays, and sounds, professional.
I absolutely love the tone from the Dimarzio, it's perfect for many types of metal, 80's especially.
I still haven't figured out what the big deal about the midboost is, i'm guessing it's the pot closest to the bottom, on 0 it sounds rather thin and slightly scooped i guess, but on 10 it adds more depth and body to it.
The neck and bridge pickups seem to be stock, and are noiseless, which I read were Jackson stacked humbuckers, a nice surprise, however, they have lower output in comparison to the bridge humbucker on clean.
The variation of 3 individual toggle switches is so much more diverse than a normal lever switch, I dig it with all the unique combinations.
I'm pretty satisfied with this guitar, which in opinion, I was lucky enough to snag before someone else did. The only problem is, I don't have the whammy bar, which is okay really, my other guitar has a floyd rose anyway.
Cusp of Magic
Looks awesome

now get that awful shitty sticker off it.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Pretty bad-ass find! I scour the pawn shops all the times and the best I ever find are Samicks

I'd get rid of the AB if it was me, unless it sounds better with it.

HNGD!
Midboost and an afterburner (i think) eh? Cool.
Gonna keep the sticker?

Looks awesome, great price. Happy New Guitar Day!
HNPGD

i see a lot of charvels at pawn shops around my area in socal (LA county)

now work on that sticker, cause if your playing A7X on a charvel its a damn shame
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
It's only the midboost circuit found on this model.
And the AB pot is a bit odd, but it works as the tone and coil tap.
I forgot to mention the sticker.
Actually, each letter is an individual vynyl sticker.
I might keep it, or toss it. It looks okay but stickers on guitars aren't really my thing.
Quite honestly, I've considered making all the electronics passive, for simplicity sake, but i'll leave it as it is for now, it sounds amazing and I'd hate to alter it too much.
Cusp of Magic
Quote by Chaos-Serenade
I forgot to mention the sticker.
Actually, each letter is an individual vynyl sticker.

Rearrange the letters to say something funny.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Rearrange the letters to say something funny.

^^

or just rearrange it into NGD, and get rid of the rest unless u can come up with a better word :P
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Tom 1.0
Looks awesome

+1

Pawn shops can be good and some can be bad, a lot of the pawn shops around here have musical knowledge so its far and few between to score a good deal on a guitar since they know what they have.
Quote by Tom 1.0
Looks awesome

quoted for truth
Nice find! I agree about the sticker though...
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Yeah. I don't even prefer A7X over anything. Mostly a Pantera fan myself.
But considering the guitar is a true 80's shredder, I should keep it plain.
One problem, I don't have black metal knobs, oh well.
Do you guys think I should keep the mid boost circuit, or switch electronics to passive?
Like 500k volume and 2 tones, 1 meg pots for neck and middle pickups kinda like a strat?
I'm noticing more the effect of hte mid boost, although i like it, i'm not really sure what to do.
Cusp of Magic
Meh just keep the afterburner for a while until you know what you want.
That's what I don't get, the knob that controls the midboost.
I can't hear that much difference but all the way down it's more of a normal I guess trebley scooped sound. But all the way up it livens it up and has more body...
But it's not hat subtle of a change to the overall sound, is it really worth it to have that in it?
Cusp of Magic
Looks nice. Some rubbing alcohol should get rid of the sticker. I'm not sure if it would affect the guitar in a negative way though.
After looking at so many "best metal song/solo/whatever" poll with A7X winning...it's refreshing to see so many likeminded individuals in this thread.
Quote by Chaos-Serenade
That's what I don't get, the knob that controls the midboost.
I can't hear that much difference but all the way down it's more of a normal I guess trebley scooped sound. But all the way up it livens it up and has more body...
But it's not hat subtle of a change to the overall sound, is it really worth it to have that in it?

Well, I'd personally rather have a master volume and 2 tones, one for the singles and one for the humbucker. But if the AB makes it sound better, than maybe it's worth having.
I'm probably going to remove the sticker. But I'll need black knobs so it doesn't throw off the look.
Cusp of Magic
Is there any way I can confirm the bridge pickup to be sure?
I've looked at the website and the only ones like it are the D-sonic and some other one but the screws and rail are chrome.
The Megadrive is the only one I've seen that have them black.
Cusp of Magic
Quote by Chaos-Serenade
Is there any way I can confirm the bridge pickup to be sure?
I've looked at the website and the only ones like it are the D-sonic and some other one but the screws and rail are chrome.
The Megadrive is the only one I've seen that have them black.

pull it out and look on the back, should tell you somewhere what model it is
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
It, like all Dimarzio pickups, say on the back of the baseplate, Dimarzio pickups Made in USA.
The Megadrive is the only one I've seen with the rail and allen screws all black.
So with that said, what are some opinions on it, since it's discontinued, is it junk, or pretty good, from other's point of views?
Cusp of Magic
some people like a7x some dont, get over it people.....just like every other fcking band
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
some people like a7x some dont, get over it people.....just like every other fcking band

I hope you know that I'm not mad at them about it. >.>
Last edited by xShade at Oct 9, 2011,