Lately I've wanted to start composing music for films (youtube, short films, that sort of thing) websites, smart phone apps. Pretty much anything that someone wanted music for. Does anyone know anything about doing this, or know how I should get started? Any information on it at all would be helpful. Thanks.
Quote by FireHawk
Networking, networking, networking...its all about meeting people and knowing the right people...

Oh, c'mon. You have to give me more than that. What sort of people should I know? Who do I talk to? Should I contact people that create the sort of thing I want to do music for, and ask them if they need any of that? Or is that tacky?
Quote by TextOnTheScreen
Oh, c'mon. You have to give me more than that. What sort of people should I know? Who do I talk to? Should I contact people that create the sort of thing I want to do music for, and ask them if they need any of that? Or is that tacky?

Depends exactly what you want to do...collaborate with youtube people, go to newgrounds collaborate with flash artists, and yes you do need to contact people who make things you want to do music for.

Your going to have to be persistent, but not over bearing. Contacting college students, who need projects done for their majors, is also a good thing to do.
Yeah, basically you have to find people who are making these things, and then put yourself out there.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Step one, be awesome.

You need to ask a few questions. What sort of music do I do? Cheesy metal intros for guitar shows? score accompanying for short films? Foley and sound design for sci-fi video games? etc.

What sort of music do I do? is it, acoustic based, rock based, electronic based etc.

Do you have the skills? musical theory, midi knowledge, recording equipment to do the job.

Assuming you've got this far. Do you have portfolio? Answer is most likely no. So start making one, you want a show reel to give to people when you want to do the job.

Step 2,
Going out and meeting people.
No one is going to tell you exactly what type of person to meet. But just hang out with people who are doing their own videos etc. Offer to do it for free. Again, this part is completely useless unless you're any good.

Be prepared to work quick and make heaps of changes, it's about them not you. You're making music that serves a purpose not because it's exactly what you want to hear. This last statement might seem to push the "music is art blah blah blah" buttons in some people. But you want to express your inner most thoughts. Record an album.

Hope that sort of helps. I've done some of this so I've got a fair idea what's involved.

Cheers man
there really is no substitute for hard work, determination, and networking.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by FireHawk
Do you or anyone on these forums have experience with either. I have always been skeptical of taxi.

I was with Taxi for a year. They do exactly what they say they will do, and it costs exactly what they say it will cost. There's nothing to be skeptical about. There are loads of opportunities for submissions, and the feedback you get from their review committee is really excellent.

I just didn't renew because there was a lack of postings looking for what I was doing. In the grander scheme of things, my "commercial hard rock along the lines of Boston meets Nirvana" would probably considered dated, and as a result, not readily marketable.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.