Before reading a post, are you biased at all toward the UGer who posted?

Poll: Are you biased toward the UGer whose post you are about to read?
Poll Options
View poll results: Are you biased toward the UGer whose post you are about to read?
Yup
38 36%
Nah B
31 30%
Meh, sometimes
36 34%
Voters: 105.
Page 1 of 2
Usually the first thing I do when I am about to read a (lenthy) post in a thead is check out which UGer posted it. From prior encounters with the person or just from lurking and reading a bunch of their posts I sometimes can kind of assume what the content of the post is going to be about.

When coming across a post made from a familiar UGer I (at least for the most part, but not always) have an open mind and try to read the post without any judgment already made in my head as to whether I would agree with the content or not.

My question is this:

Do you read posts with a slight bias/judgement already made up, solely based on prior knowledge of the UGer who posted it? Or can you asses the points made purely on whatever is in the text of the post without any regard to how the individual has acted/what has been said in the past?
Last edited by High&Mighty at Oct 7, 2011,
Hell yeah your join date is 2011 I didn't even read the OP

LOLOLOLOL

EDIT: Yeah, I kind of do. I have an idea of what to expect in the post, but the bias doesn't neccessarily change how I'm gonna respond to the post
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
Last edited by vicarious46 at Oct 7, 2011,
lol 2011'er hahahaha tl;dr
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Quote by vicarious46
Hell yeah your join date is 2011 I didn't even read the OP

LOLOLOLOL

EDIT: Yeah, I kind of do. I have an idea of what to expect in the post, but the bias doesn't neccessarily change how I'm gonna respond to the post

I found that pretty funny. Better first response then I was expecting.
I actually read the post. What usually happens then is I'm like, "wow, that was exceptionally intelligent," and then it was Kensai. Or I'm like, "wow, that was really stupid." And then it was someone with a join date after this month last year. Every now and then I think, "wow, that was funny, but kind of brutal." Then its usually Human-dirge.
I always look to see who the TS is before clicking. And sometimes I just pass.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
I always look to see who the TS is before clicking. And sometimes I just pass.

I'm glad you saw my username and didn't just pass.
Quote by kaptkegan
I actually read the post. What usually happens then is I'm like, "wow, that was exceptionally intelligent," and then it was Kensai. Or I'm like, "wow, that was really stupid." And then it was someone with a join date after this month last year. Every now and then I think, "wow, that was funny, but kind of brutal." Then its usually Human-dirge.

lul.

It's Douche-Humani.
Nope.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
I usually know I'm going to hate Due 07's posts when I read them, but I read them anyway. I'm right most of the time.
I usually just hover to see the first sentence or two before discriminating...except a few users I don't care for...although to be honest the people I really don't like I always read there threads in hope of people destroying them.
some yes as i know their online personality obvs
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by kaptkegan

Lol.
I don't lurk enough to even pay attention to who is posting unless their name isn't yellow on UG black.
I Like Green!
Of course. I'm good at noticing patterns in the way people post and the details about them that they subtly reveal that give an idea of their character. So naturally, if I see a poster I'm familiar with and have knowledge of the things they've said or have build up an image of them in my head, I'm going to have expectations of keeping with the pattern. But every post is an opportunity to shake that perception. I'm biased, but not so much so that I'm not willing to terminate that bias. A typical example is of Ethan_Hanus. Many users are familiar with him and have a standard perception of him, but sometimes he says sensible things that don't fit in with his pattern of extremely disagreeable things he's said. Those outliers warp the perception and consequently, the bias.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Yes, with some people you just come in with low expectations.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by UntilISleep
I usually know I'm going to hate Due 07's posts when I read them, but I read them anyway. I'm right most of the time.

this. after a while you come to expect certain things from different users. if you go into a thread and see a post from someone whose posts you generally enjoy, chances are you will take more time to read it. similarly, if it's someone like Eric_Fail that always says silly/stupid things, then you might be more likely to read it because you enjoy stupid posts or you might decide not to read it because you don't enjoy stupid posts.

to give another example, if you were reading a thread and you see a really long post from me, it's probably some weird humorous "advice" that will likely not help out in the current situation and will likely cause quite a bit of trouble, in which case if you enjoy that you'd probably read it because you know what to expect. otherwise if you don't want to read something like that at the time, you might just open it in another tab and read it later. interestingly enough, this post is one of the few posts i've made in the pit that is a substantial length but still completely serious.

but i think it also depends on the context of the thread. if it is as thread about some moral or politic issue and you know someone has a very strong view on that subject, there's probably not much reason to read it because you probably already know what they are going to say.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777

to give another example, if you were reading a thread and you see a really long post from me, it's probably some weird humorous "advice" that will likely not help out in the current situation and will likely cause quite a bit of trouble, in which case if you enjoy that you'd probably read it because you know what to expect. otherwise if you don't want to read something like that at the time, you might just open it in another tab and read it later. interestingly enough, this post is one of the few posts i've made in the pit that is a substantial length but still completely serious.

I definately had a bias there, and was surprised to see such a long post coming from you, but it was indeed a well written post.
I hardly ever bring shit from one thread to another unless I'm trolling, so no.

Every post is pretty much a fresh start for users in my book.
I normally don't even look at the user until after I read the post. If the post is absolutely retarded, I will check their join date to see if it is a throwaway account or if they are just stupid.
Castles made of sand
Fall to the sea
Eventually
Quote by L2112Lif
If it's one of Ethan's threads, I know what to expect. Everyone here basically has a posting profile they rarely deviate from.

Damn right and I'll stick to my sarcastic dickhead theme with occasional niceness You twat.

Quote by cyco_bob56
I don't really look at the posters' names much. It's the internet.

You're the internet. You bumder.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

The only time I'm biased is when I see Due post a link, I usually don't click on it because if he posts a wiki link he'll probably post several more later in the thread and I'm too lazy to read all of them. I do read the rest of his post with an open mind though.
I'll see someone's avatar and be like, "Oh hey that's the asshole." Or, "Oh hey that's the cool guy." I rarely get names remembered unless someone keeps the avatar a long time or I communicate with them regularly.
So yeah easy way to make me stop hating you. Change your avatar.

Another bias I have, if people who like Tom Waits post links, I avoid it. Tom Waits is one of my favorite artists, but in my experience people who like him only have Tom Waits in common with me.
Last edited by cornmancer at Oct 7, 2011,
Yup, I usually only click on threads from TS's I know, unless there's nothing else to do.
you're a stone fox
Sometimes. There are users that I know their posts will piss me off, there are ones that I know I will agree with, ones I know will make me laugh. Sometimes I don't know what to expect, some people are a bit of a loose cannon, and some don't really have a personality to their posts.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
You're seriously asking if what we know about a person colors our perception of what they're posting? Look at it this way, if you have a friend who you know has a dark humor side and he tells you about the baby he punted last weekend, is that the same as a random stranger doing it? Works for online personas too.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Not really, sometimes I only go in a thread if I know the persons name or something, but that's very rare. I give everyone a fair chance. And unless they have insulted me or something then I'll just ignore their post but that's never happened so it's okay
Quote by L2112Lif
Can't say I didn't expect that.

Awww man.

I haven't been on here in such a long time that I don't remember people. So, no.
My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA
I've just realised, I don't think I dislike anybody at all on here...

Quote by L2112Lif

Page 1 of 2