Looking for an acoustic/electric guitar for under 200$
I've seen only the Epiphone AJ-100CE and I haven't tried it yet but I do like the Epiphone EJ-200CE which is way too expensive. I have no idea whether this goes in Acoustic or Electric Forums because they're both. Oh and one that can travel/ is durable! I usually play like Rise Against, Sum 41, Green day and some Blink-182 on my electric but I'm looking for something like "Hero of War" by Rise Against or "Disenchanted" by MCR. I noticed "Good Riddance" by Green day is quite bass-y so not something like that. Oh and something that is versatile and bright! If you need more details just ask. I'm new here and this is my first post/thread so if this is in the wrong place... sorry if I'm too picky. Also this is for opinions because I know there isn't necessarily a "best" acoustic so I guess that's why that it says "Good" in the title.
Last edited by dragonkidkoga at Oct 7, 2011,
an acoustic electric isn't an electric - you chose the right forum.

you aren't going to get something good for this price, but you can get something fairly decent considering. yamaha is going to be your best bet for quality at this price - they deliver far better tone than their competitors in the under $300 range. here's one that might work for you:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/yamaha-f-series-fx325-dreadnought-acoustic-electric-guitar/518509000010000

or if you can go to $200, this one has a cutaway
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/yamaha-fx-335-acoustic-electric-guitar/512943000010000

guitar center has a sale this weekend, but while you're not spending enough to get the 15% off, you might score a deal in-store if you go in in person. they often have yamahas marked down on holiday sales in store but not online.

as far as durable, dude, we're talking wood and glue. they're all going to be close to the same durability when it comes to travel, although all lam guitars tend to be slightly more humidity resistant. as far as too much bass, at your price range you have the choice between crap and a full sized dread that will have some bass. yamahas are definitely NOT bassy guitars, but dreads will have more bass than a smaller guitar. still, yamaha dreads are pretty balanced - try one, i bet you like it.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake

Yamaha is going to be your best bet for quality at this price

Ok. any thoughts on the Yamaha F-325? (I played my friend's F-310 before but i want something like that but with more fullness)
I know it's just a normal acoustic but at this point I just need it to sound good.
On another note can I have your thoughts on the Epiphone AJ-100CE? I played my friend's AJ-100 and I enjoyed that sound. Do you have any thoughts on Fender CD-100?
Last edited by dragonkidkoga at Oct 8, 2011,
get a yamaha but forgo the electrics, it will sound thin on an electric amp. You can get a solid top yamaha for $200 but no electrics. Seriously think 2x about the electric components, if you dont need them then dont buy a guitar that has them.
Quote by zamanakhan
get a yamaha but forget the electrics, it will sound thin on an electric amp. You can get a solid top yamaha for $200 but no electrics. Seriously think 2x about the electric components, if you dont need them then dont buy a guitar that has them.

Who said I was using an electric amp? I wanna get a Yamaha but I can't afford the electronics. I don't have a good microphone so when I do my covers so I record straight to my computer. If I wasn't recording I wouldn't use any amps.
the 325 is not a bad guitar, although like the 310, it's an all laminate dread, so don't expect much difference in tone. to my ear it sounds better than the epiphone. but on the other hand, if you liked the epi, why not get that? i thought it sounded cheap and meh, but i'm not the one who will be playing it, and frankly any guitar is better than no guitar!

do you mean the CD-100CE? the CD-100 is not acoustic electric. if you're going with a straight acoustic, i'd suggest the yamaha fg700s as it sounds better, but the fender isn't bad - can you try it in person?

Quote by dragonkidkoga
Ok. any thoughts on the Yamaha F-325? (I played my friend's F-310 before but i want something like that but with more fullness)
I know it's just a normal acoustic but at this point I just need it to sound good.
On another note can I have your thoughts on the Epiphone AJ-100CE? I played my friend's AJ-100 and I enjoyed that sound. Do you have any thoughts on Fender CD-100?
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Find a used Yamaha APX500 or APX500II. They are thin and fit well for users switching back/forth from electric/acoustic. They sound great plugged/unplugged and are easy on the wallet. Plus they look cool :P Hope this helps!
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
i wouldn't recommend an apx unless you're not planning to play unplugged as they sound boxy and muted acoustically.
Quote by Skeet UK
Quote by patticake
i wouldn't recommend an apx unless you're not planning to play unplugged as they sound boxy and muted acoustically.

ok I am planning to play unplugged, as i stated before I am only using the electronics for recording straight into my computer

Quote by patticake
do you mean the CD-100CE?

Sorry disregard that statement
Quote by dragonkidkoga
ok I am planning to play unplugged, as i stated before I am only using the electronics for recording straight into my computer

Umm. OK for a recording situation I would definitely stay away from using onboard electronics. Get a regular acoustic without electronics and save up a bit for a nice mic to record with.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by cdr_salamander
Umm. OK for a recording situation I would definitely stay away from using onboard electronics. Get a regular acoustic without electronics and save up a bit for a nice mic to record with.

as i stated before i can't get a mic. I'd rather use onboard electronics because I've done it before and I like the sound. problem is that I can't afford to use the guitar I used for the first recording because it's a larivee