Maybe yousaw my previous threads stating the my Spider suck. Altough distortion are pain to ear, the cleans are ok. I was on craiglist the other, and after a bit of research, i discovered that I could own a used DS-1 and Metalzone for 60$CAN. Would it worth it to run them trough the clean channel of my spider,waiting to change it around X-mas, or should I wait to have a nice tube amp with two channels?
No, don't even bother unless you're planning to mod them. Just wait till you get a nice amp.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Last edited by kutless999 at Oct 8, 2011,
Definitely wait till you get a better amp. I played a Boss D-1 through my old Spider amp, didn't make a huge difference. I was so disappointed that I returned the pedal. Saved up for a tube amp and got pedals later.
Quote by kutless999
No, don even bother unless you're planning to mod them. Just wait till you get a nice amp.

+1
You want to make a crap amp sound good by using a crap pedal? Does anybody else see a flaw in this plan?

What you need is a new amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The DS-1 is NOT crap*, but the metalzone.... aaagh.
And both will sound bad through a spider, just save for an amp.
I know we hate to hear that, I've heard it back when I had my vox VT50, but it really is the answer.

*Through a great sounding tube amp at gigging volume
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
Quote by evhbrianmay
I know we hate to hear that, I've heard it back when I had my vox VT50, but it really is the answer.

The DS-1 pretty much is crap until you mod it, but you can manage SOME usable tones out of it stock.
Quote by evhbrianmay
The DS-1 is NOT crap,

maybe you should get your ears checked?
I guess my clean tone just works with the DS-1, then again, the tone knob on the thing is always 9o'clock or lower.
But yeah, it's only usable without mods, like I'm planning on...
But through a spider, a klon would sound bad.
(PM Me.)
alright then... What would be good pedals that i can find used for less then 50?

And does any if you know something about Traynor Bloc50g? I saw one on Kijiji, seems interesting.
Are you looking specifically for distortions or what?
(PM Me.)
Quote by evhbrianmay
Are you looking specifically for distortions or what?

Pretty much, yeah... Eventually, i might enjoy a wah and a boost bust fot now, i need two distortion: a rock one, and a metal one. By rock, i mean Tbree days grace(i hate everything about you, just like you, etc) and story of the year (Until the day I die, anthem our dying day, the antidote, save one, etc) and by metal i mean A7X, Blessthefall and Story of the year on some other songs(Is this my fate he asked them)
Well depending on what amp you eventually get, a good OD or boost to tighten the gain channel is always a good solid tone for stuff like that. That's what I use for gain, the DS-1 and big muff are like one song per set deals for me.
A big Muff with tone wicker might be of interest to you, it's not for everyone but some people like them.
(PM Me.)
Quote by greeny23
get all the boss pedals. i tried. never got close.

Okay, I could not handle that many bosses.
(PM Me.)
Quote by evhbrianmay
Okay, I could not handle that many bosses.

well you sir are a loser.
mojostompboxes.com
Oh! The blues driver! I love the blues driver, if you're looking for a boss distortion that one's great, I'd take it over a ds-1 any day. The tone is a bit fuller and more useable.
(PM Me.)
Quote by greeny23
well you sir are a loser.

(PM Me.)
No, I just take things a bit lighter than you do.
(PM Me.)
I feel the Boss OS-2 is criminally underrated, but the Spider amps are designed like a digestive system: Any tone, good or bad, goes into the mouth (the input), and gets shat out of a rectum (the speaker).
Quote by evhbrianmay

I've had a DS-1 (built into the GP-8) for 24 years and I do own some nice tube amps - it's crap. You can mod them to sound ok but in stock form they are complete crap. It's the one effect in the GP-8 I never turn on - because it's crap.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
the ds-1 pretty much sounds like shit. idk why any body bothers modding them either, by the time you buy the mod and spend the time putting it in you may as well as bought an actual useful od or distortion.

ot: basically every pedal you put through the spider is gonna sound like shit. if you're not satisfied with your tone the only way to make it better is going to be an amp upgrade.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Quote by Goodtimes666
the ds-1 pretty much sounds like shit. idk why any body bothers modding them either, by the time you buy the mod and spend the time putting it in you may as well as bought an actual useful od or distortion.
Buy the mod? You just have to swap a few dirt cheap components. Anybody that pays good money for a "mod kit" is a goose. Why they are good to mod is that it is a simple, easy to mod circuit in an enclosure you can use to kill a wilderbeast.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
to the thread starter.

try looking at mxr distortions, they are pretty good for the price. i like the dist+