Hello,i have been playing for about 5 years and just started dabbling into the world of pedals.So far i have(and don't really want/need/afford any others!)
Ibanez Tubescreamer
MXR Phase 90
Crybaby wah
boss/fender 63 reverb
Art A/B/Y switching box.
Tc polytune tuning pedal.

So i was just wondering how i sort of set them up.I do not have an effects loop in my amp as i have an old 18 watt marshall!!!
I want to make myself a little board up and didnt know how to set the chain up in what order?also i need to get some sort of power supply???what one do i get?how do they work?also if i have a power supply and im not using my pedals but they are all still plugged in to each other would for example the crybaby lose all its battery or does it not matter with the power supply?
I am really a beginner in the pedal world and any advice/help would be extremely appreciated.
Thanks
I have found that when I run my distortion in front of my wah the highs become a bit ear peircing in both volume and tone if I use them together, so I would recommend putting the wah before the tubescreamer. also some compromises will have to made so it might help to know which of these pedals will be used the most.
"The beer I had for breakfast was pretty good, so I had another."
-Cash
thanks.the most used will be the tuner,wah and tubescreamer probably.the aby,phase 90 and reverb will only be used slightly for certain things
In regards to the verb and drive pedals,
if you put the reverb before the distortion in the chain, the fuzz pedal will raise the gain of the entire signal, including the reverb tails so it'll basically act like a brickwalled compressor and you'll get a massive sustain.
If you put them the other way around, the reverb is taking the whole signal and reverberating it, so you get a huge sound on it...as if you're in a cathedral or cave or something, so it gives you a fair bit of room to play with the settings and get a good sound.

Apart from that, tuner first (always)
Crybaby last
I'd put the phase probably between the verb and the distortion.
Just a quick question:
should the tuner be in the chain at all? Isn't it better to just tune beforehand, because by placing it first in the chain, you both use up its battery AND weaken the signal somewhat?
Good old Pete. Isn't he too old to masturbate? - Pete Townshend
Don't mind your make-up, you better make your mind up. - Frank Zappa
Quote by Tvrtko1
Just a quick question:
should the tuner be in the chain at all? Isn't it better to just tune beforehand, because by placing it first in the chain, you both use up its battery AND weaken the signal somewhat?

If you have a big pedal chain you're probably going to use an AC adapter anyway to battery running dry isn't going to be a problem.

TS, I'd say:
Tuner
Wah
Overdrive
Phaser
Reverb

Not too sure about the A/B/Y switcher.
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Last edited by Vampire 255 at Oct 8, 2011,
thanks everyone.any idea what i do about power supply???i must sound like a right numpty!!!!but i haven't got a clue!!!!
Quote by lespaulyman
thanks everyone.any idea what i do about power supply???i must sound like a right numpty!!!!but i haven't got a clue!!!!

It's cool dude, everyone starts somewhere! For power supply, i'd get a good DC brick and some cables (don't what type of cables they are) that attach the outputs of the DC brick to the power supply of your footpedals. Or you could go down the battery route, but DC bricks tend to be easier/less awkward.

Hope that helps pal.
thanks.any specific power supplies better than others?any recommendations???
do pedals come with the lead that you need to plug into the power supply.
Quote by reidhasguitar
I don't know most of those pedals, but I'd say:

Tuner first (so it gets the cleanest input)
Reverb
Distortion
Wahwah

Not this, unless you play ambient stuff, that's the only time I'd consider putting reverb in front.

Someone posted the setup I'd start with further up.

Can I ask, what you bought the ABY for?

As far as power supplies you'd best off getting either a TRex Fuel Tank Jr, or a Voodoo Labs power supply of some sort. Standard for power supplies and will give you the least noise.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

oh i bought the aby to mix the channels in my amp.with the aby i can go from a crystal clean on one channel to a full on rock tone on the other.you can also mix the both wich results in a massive sound witch is really good.and they are rathe cheap as well!!!thanks for the advice.
any cheaper alternatives??if not don't worry because i'm only guna buy one once i spose!!!the 2 that you suggested only hold 5 pedals but unfortunately i need 6( and may expand to a few more)what else could i buy of high quality that holds 5-10 pedals? could anyone send me a picture or link to a detailed explanation of pedal boards or how people set their boards up??many thanks to all those who have helped me!!!!!
You could always get a Johnny Shred Freak power supply. They're a budget version of a very good power supply. They don't give off much noise. You'll need a daisy chain adapter as well but that'd set you back around £35?

You could use the ABY to have 2 different chains of pedals (sure you've thought of this but just saying) so for example, if you only wanted to use the reverb on your cleans, and A goes to your cleans. Put the Reverb after the A output on your ABY and then you can leave the reverb on all the time and just use the ABY to change them.

If you're using the tubescreamer to boost you could pop that on the other channel on your ABY and switch between boosted dirt and reverby cleans.

Something to consider?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

just a quick qustion.if you leave all the pedals plugged in all the time but you use a power supply,does the battery go????
Quote by lespaulyman
just a quick qustion.if you leave all the pedals plugged in all the time but you use a power supply,does the battery go????

short answer, yes. here's why..

most pedals start the battery going when a cable is inserted into the input. if you leave a pedal with a battery plugged in all the time, the battery will drain even when you're not using it.

the battery isn't used when you use a power supply; however, when you turn off the power supply, the battery automatically kicks in, and will then drain.

if you're going to have the pedals plugged in all the time, i suggest taking out the batteries. or you can disconnect the cable from each pedal's input.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
short answer, yes. here's why..

most pedals start the battery going when a cable is inserted into the input. if you leave a pedal with a battery plugged in all the time, the battery will drain even when you're not using it.

the battery isn't used when you use a power supply; however, when you turn off the power supply, the battery automatically kicks in, and will then drain.

if you're going to have the pedals plugged in all the time, i suggest taking out the batteries. or you can disconnect the cable from each pedal's input.

Almost. but not quite.
When the power adapter is plugged in, the battery gets physically disconnected as long as it's wired properly.
If you have the budget for it, it doesn't get much better (excluding rack gear) than the Voodoo Labs PP2. If you aren't looking to spend that much, look no further than the Visual Sound One Spot. both do the job, and both do it well. The Voodoo Labs is good if you play shows/tour, and need absolutely reliable, clean power. The One Spot is great if you're just playing around the house, and don't want to spend that much. I personally have a One Spot, and I haven't had any issues with it.

When you use a power supply, you don't use batteries in the pedal at all. That is the point of having a power supply.

For pedalboards, look into Gator. I'm very fond of their stuff, and the pedalboards they have are designed much better than other boards at similar prices. I have 2 of the regular GPT boards, and I love them.

For pedal order, I would go Tuner -> Wah -> Tubescreamer -> Phaser -> Reverb -> ABY.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I would get a voodoo lab PP2 for the supply, as far as order...

Tuner
Wah
Phaser (most people like them before distortion)
Overdrive
Reverb
AB/Y
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

Quote by CodeMonk
When the power adapter is plugged in, the battery gets physically disconnected as long as it's wired properly.

Regardless of whether it's being powered? Nice.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
Regardless of whether it's being powered? Nice.

Doesn't matter.
The way the normal jack is made, inserting a power adapter creates a disconnection.

http://beavisaudio.com/techpages/PedalPower/
so if i have a power supply (which i will do) i simply take all the batteries out of all the pedals???
thanks for all your help everyone.