Hi,

I want to get some new cables and a friend recomended Monster Cables. So I have my eye on the Rock Monster Cables that goes for some 40-50€. Now, is it worth it and should I use these as patch cables also? They are ridiculous expensive to use as patch cables, so maybe there are some better patch cables, designed just for that out there?

Opinion, please!
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
- George Dennis 60Watt The Blue Combo
- Marshall SuperBass 100Watt
Nope, Monster Cables are overpriced and aren't that good.

If you can, make your own. If not, Planet Waves are good.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Not really.

Not really what?
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
I have a 25 euro planet waves cable, with lifetime warranty, it works perfectly fine.

#2 of the Orange TH30 Clique
Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
Quote by Zeletros
Why would anyone pay that much for a cable?

So I don´t have to get anymore cables for a long time, mayhaps?
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
Quote by Tim the Rocker
So I don´t have to get anymore cables for a long time, mayhaps?

If you use any cable properly, I don't see how it would stop working.

I've been using the same cables since I started playing 2 years ago, and these are just normal ones.
Quote by Zeletros
If you use any cable properly, I don't see how it would stop working.

I've been using the same cables since I started playing 2 years ago, and these are just normal ones.

And the tones? I mean , I have heard how much change there is in tone from a cheap cable to an expensive I just havent heard the Monster Cables... But now I am looking at the Planet Waves and it seems fairly reasonable to buy those...
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
Planet Waves are awesome. I'm gonna switch over eventually (I use Live Wires now, which are also good for the price).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Monstar Cables = overpriced junk.

All of my local music stores stoped carrying them 3-4 yrs ago, because they are so unreliable. They would have to warranty them , but Monster would wait months to re-emberse them.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Try mogami, they are better than monster and have a lifetime warranty
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Quote by Spudderz
No.

I get my cables from award-session. Nice cables, good price.

+1

or kabl

I recently picked up a klotz (i think it's the cheaper one than the la grange) and sommer on thomann just to try them and they're pretty nice, too, and a decent price. If you want to buy off the shelf.

Not too fond of the planet waves i've tried.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The classic series are quite nice as far as planet waves go for a cheap and decent enough cable but i wasnt that impressed with the circuit breakers.
Nope. i really like dimarzios. If you can spend more lava cable makes some awesome cables that do sound better. But I feel from a cable like dimarzio, the difference became nearly inaudible live when getting a better cable
Quote by coolstoryangus
The classic series are quite nice as far as planet waves go for a cheap and decent enough cable but i wasnt that impressed with the circuit breakers.

ah i don't think i've tried the classics, i've just tried the bog standard ones (i bought them ages ago before they had such a big range) with the gold jacks, and the normal silver-coloured jacks. but yeah when i swapped them for the award session van dammes the difference was astounding... up to that point i was sceptical that changing cables would make all that much difference, but it was noticeable.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i'm crap at looking after cables... and a few years ago i bought some planet waves. A circuit breaker and a few classic series ones.

The circuit breaker broke within a month the classics lasted a year or two at least.
yeah i mean i don't look after mine all that well either, though i don't think any have ever broken on me
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
musicians friend has 15% off all cables. i got a dimarzio 18ft tweed cable. really well shielded, quality cable for like $24 shipped. check em out if u aint gonna build ur own
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
I love Monster Cables (are there are tons of pros that use them). I've had the same cables for over five years and haven't had a single problem with them. I've compared them to Mogamis, DiMarzios, Planet Waves, Livewires, etc and I've always come back to Monsters - nothing compares, imo.

When it comes to stuff like this its all about personal preference - buy a couple different cables and see what you like. If you don't like something just send it back.
Don't listen to all the nayers. Ive been using monster cables for years and to me have to be the cleanest/nicest sounding cables Ive ever tried. Also they come with a lifetime warranty for no extra charge. You don't even need to keep the package, you buy a cable now and 20 years later it breaks... you can just bring it back for a free replacement. They might be a tad bit overpriced but you have to get them at the right place. I got mine at guitar center a while back for a cheap price. They are very good cables you won't go wrong I promise you. You won't ever get a crackle out of these cables.
Gibson Les Paul Standard Ebony
Epiphone SG G-400
Schecter C-1 Blackjack Diamond Series
Fender CD140SCE
Peavey ValveKing 112
not a fan. overpriced imo. the first time i ever picked one up, the jack didnt fit on my fiends strat. it was a rock one too with gold plugs, like a 40 dollar cable. i dont buy the hype.

oh yeah monsters kink like a mofo too, the cheap and expensive ones. i actually hate just about everything about monsters. i bought a GFS "monster style" and im perfectly happy with it for less than 50%. i just want to see how long it lasts. if it doesnt, oh well, it was low cost.

i really dont care about liftime worranty unless the store i bought it from will literally take a cable off the rack and hand it too me and i can walk out. if i have to mail crap in and wait 6 months, i would rather just buy a new cable.

those cleartone ones?!!?!? damn thats a good deal. nuetrik jacks and high end cable for that price? that the best deal on cable ive ever seen.
Quote by ikey_

those cleartone ones?!!?!? damn thats a good deal. nuetrik jacks and high end cable for that price? that the best deal on cable ive ever seen.

yeah

to be fair, though:

- kabl prices are similar for the same specs

- the van damme cable is probably at the entry level of high end cables

- finally, van damme is probably better value in europe than in the us. klotz is pretty reasonable value here too for the same reason.

that being said, they're still killer for the money.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well van damme has a name for its cable by itself. have you ever heard of people raving about jst teh cable in monsters? i mean, just the cable, not the product as a whole.

the fact that your getting top of the line connectors, and quality NAME BRAND cable in a spec that you want for that price is unheard of. no cable brand does that unless its custom and very expesnive or you build your own from bulk supplies.
yeah.

actually a few people over here are starting to do it. Maybe it just hasn't caught on in america?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Most of the time a cable goes bad is at the jack connection. The construction around there is the most important.

I like these:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Monster-Cable-S-100-1-4--Straight-Instrument-Cable-102469673-i1128534.gc#

You can change the color stripe on the end- this helps when you have a ton of cables together and need to hook up without tracing each cable from end to end.

Cheap as well.
people need to stop using the lifetime warranty as a pitch

nearly all mid-high price range cables come with lifetime warranties

monster
mogami
dimarzio
etcc
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
+1 to DiMarzio. Musicians Friend had a sale a year or so back and I bought one of their Tweed ones, I played it for 3 months with no problems. Sounded the same as pretty much every other mid range cable, didnt tangle up at all, and the jacks were sturdy... after those 3 months I went back and redid my entire pedal board with their patch cables, and bought 5 more regular length cables to redo my entire rig. Not a single bad cable from them yet.

I have tried Monster cables, I used their cheaper model and their "bass" cable. The cheaper one broke 3 times, I just got tired of having to go in to get it replaced. The Bass cable broke once and seems to be fine afterwards, I just prefer my RELIABLE DiMarzio.
Quote by Wylde_Life
+1 to DiMarzio. Musicians Friend had a sale a year or so back and I bought one of their Tweed ones, I played it for 3 months with no problems. Sounded the same as pretty much every other mid range cable, didnt tangle up at all, and the jacks were sturdy... after those 3 months I went back and redid my entire pedal board with their patch cables, and bought 5 more regular length cables to redo my entire rig. Not a single bad cable from them yet.

I have tried Monster cables, I used their cheaper model and their "bass" cable. The cheaper one broke 3 times, I just got tired of having to go in to get it replaced. The Bass cable broke once and seems to be fine afterwards, I just prefer my RELIABLE DiMarzio.

just bought my tweed dimarzio

ii <3 it )
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
a cable is not just a cable. twisted pair, solid core, twisted strands, wire guage....they all effect the durability and sound of the cable.

cables sound bad for various reasons - poor or too small core, poor construction and materials, bad connectors, poor sheliding

cbles break for about 2 reasons: connectors break or the condutor breaks within the cable

...good cables address all of these issues. im not saying you have to spend a fortune. all of the components of a cable can be had for VERY cheap. most people dont want to buy bulk materials though. if you want to spend 100-200 bucks, man you could crank out top level cables for nearly nothing. if i was in a long term band, i would opt to just throw in for everybody and mae the whole band cables. it would save so much money.
I wouldnt pay that price for a cable really, but a girlfriend back in college got me one for my birthday and I still have it working perfectly and sounding great, six years later. So where Planet Waves, etc. have died, the Monster lives on...
Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.
+1 on Planet Waves. i'm in the midst of swapping every cable i have for PW's. need 3 or 4 more. not including patch cables.
fender aerodyne jazz bass>mxr el grande bass fuzz>boss odb-3>dunlop crybaby bass wah>randall rba 500 es/ampeg 8x10