Alright, so soon I'll be purchasing some plans for a P-Bass, a bit of a project for me and my Dad.
I've decided so far:
-P Bass Body.

I need suggestions for:
-Bridge.
-Pickups. (Thinking maybe Sadowsky, no SD QPs for god's sake.)
-Tuners. (I'm thinking Hipshot Ultra-lites but if anyone's got any better suggestions.)
-High quality electronics, pots, jacks, etc.

For the finish I'm planning on something satiny, ala Fender's Highway 1 basses. It just feels so nice! Probably Olympic White.
I'm not sure whether we'll make a neck from scratch or go Warmoth or Allparts or something like that, if it was made from scratch it'd be as close of a replica feel-wise of my JB75 as we could get. Not sure on a fretboard wood yet either, thinking about maybe Wendge but I don't want to stray too far from the traditional Fender style.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
are you limited by a budget or just by what's reasonable (no ritter esque gold plating and mammoth bone etc) ?

I'm very happy with my Gotoh 201 but the Badass 2 is apparently better, just roughly twice the price.
Pickups, I'm not sure what you like. I love the Bart P but I know little to nothing about the Sadowsky. Maybe Nordstrand? Just throwing names you already know at you .
Those Hipshots would probably be my choice too.
Are you wanting active or passive? Wires and post you can get from electronics stores and, as long as you get the right resistances, it's all good.
For passive, tonestyler all the way (IMO it sounds amazing). If you want to go active, picking something from the Aguilar OBP series is always a safe bet.

Also I love Wenge, but I'm not sure how it would go with the white.

Also you better have a matching headstock
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Go all out and get a badass III, wizard pickups, john east p-retro for the preamp.

And with all the things you have you can definitely afford it
All passive and no real budget, this will be an ongoing type of thing so I'll be purchasing parts as we go along but if i can get some mammoth tusk on the cheap I'll probably use it .
As for white+wendge:

But I'm starting to think an all-rosewood neck would be cool.
How much did the Gotoh 201 set you back?
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Also Wenge wrecks your tools and I'm pretty sure is pretty bad to inhale.

Are you having a pick guard? At the moment I'm in love with Olympic white and tort, or fiesta red and tort
P Basses without pickguards are insanely hideous. It's either going to be black or red tort. Learning more towards black at the moment.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
I'd say get a DiMarzio Split P and Babicz Bridge.

As for the other parts Schaller, Bourns, and maybe a Pau Ferro fretboard.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Badass bridge
MM Stingray HB & electronics or Warwick pickups and electronics
Hip shot tuners are nice
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Musicman don't sell their electronics separately. The only way you'll get a new pickup or pre-amp out of them is to exchange a faulty one first. I'm not sure what I think of MEC stuff that's not on Warwicks, plus I don't think they make a passive P pup? I've already got a Warwick and a Musicman anyway...
This is going to be a passive P Bass, mostly traditionally styled.
I'm digging the Babicz suggestion, they didn't even cross my mind.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
Musicman don't sell their electronics separately. The only way you'll get a new pickup or pre-amp out of them is to exchange a faulty one first. I'm not sure what I think of MEC stuff that's not on Warwicks, plus I don't think they make a passive P pup? I've already got a Warwick and a Musicman anyway...
This is going to be a passive P Bass, mostly traditionally styled.
I'm digging the Babicz suggestion, they didn't even cross my mind.

I didn't know that ,just suggestions.
I think EMG bass pickups are nice, but they are actives.

Good luck.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Deliriumbassist
How about a Dark Star in place of a split coil P?

Ooooh, a +1 to this.

When it comes to hardware you'd be hard pressed to find something better then Hipshot Ultra Lites. The Gotoh 201's a good bridge, but if you're willing to spend more I'd go Babicz or Hipshot A or B style
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I'm also building a P-Bass so this will be helpful to me too. I'm not repainting mine though I like the finish it has now. I only have very basic tools so I'm just buying a neck at some point.
Quote by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
How bout Delano pickups? I've heard good things about them.
Quote by Bass First
Rump, a P-bass delivers a rump in the sound such that, similar to the rump on an African American woman, it is the highlight of the tone.
Hipshot Ultra Light tuners, Babicz Full Contact bridge, Lollar Precision Bass pickups (passive) or Bartolini Precision Bass pickups (active), and CTS pots.

Pair it with the right body and neck and you have a masterpiece.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
Hipshot Ultra Light tuners, Babicz Full Contact bridge, Lollar Precision Bass pickups (passive) or Bartolini Precision Bass pickups (active), and CTS pots.

Pair it with the right body and neck and you have a masterpiece.

I didn't realise you could get active Barts. Mine certainly aren't.

Also my 201 was $57 inc postage.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Last edited by gilly_90 at Oct 8, 2011,
You'll be lucky to get DarkStars anymore - production of them has been scatty at best. Great pickups if you can get them though.

Also, an all rosewood neck would weigh a ton, and working with rosewood is also pretty toxic (IIRC). I would personally go with a Warmoth neck, but if you are comfortable making one yourself, then I say do it. It'll take longer, but it will feel more rewarding.

I'm going to agree with the Sadwosky pickups, and also throw Nordstrands into the equation, just to make life more difficult.
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
Darkstar did cross my mind, but I'm really set on a normal P pup. This isn't going to be a "strung with flats to play Jamerson" type of P it's going to be strung with steels and rocked out on.
Hammon Engineering started up again recently, just to add. The Darkstars are entirely hand made and will set you back about $200 per pup. Three week wait time.
Cheers for the rosewood fretboard suggestion, definitely going on the maybe list.
I'm pretty set on an all Rosewood neck. EBMM and PRS do it so I can too.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB