Great Mysteries of Time and Space: no.4587

Why are Rickenbackers soooooooo goddamn expensive compared to Fender and Gibson ?
Reputation, avaliability, nostalgia value, the beatles played them, quality control, they're damn good guitars....take your pick...
they aren't.

they are more expensive than gibson and fender's more affordable alternatives simply because rickenbacker don't have any sort of 'budget' range. it's either top quality for top dollar, or nothing at all.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Blompcube
they aren't.

they are more expensive than gibson and fender's more affordable alternatives simply because rickenbacker don't have any sort of 'budget' range. it's either top quality for top dollar, or nothing at all.

Pretty much what Blompcube said.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'd love to get one but they are way too expensive, for a basic 2 pickup, mass produced plasticky looking guitar.

Just looking on UK Ebay and I can't see one 300 series Ricki for under £1250, new or second hand.
I can nearly get 2 new SG Specials or 2 Les Paul Juniors for that money, SGs are hardly considered Budget guitars.

Even the basic slab bodied 600 series guitars are £1100+

I just wondered if the price disparity is the same in the US.
Quote by Major F. Sharp
I'd love to get one but they are way too expensive, for a basic 2 pickup, mass produced plasticky looking guitar.

Just looking on UK Ebay and I can't see one 300 series Ricki for under £1250, new or second hand.
I can nearly get 2 new SG Specials or 2 Les Paul Juniors for that money, SGs are hardly considered Budget guitars.

Even the basic slab bodied 600 series guitars are £1100+

I just wondered if the price disparity is the same in the US.

a key word you seem to be ignoring:

Quality.

it's got nothing to do with features, production volumes, or whether a particular guitar shape is 'considered' a budget guitar or not. it's all about quality.

you're talking about bottom of the line gibsons, you can't expect them to be built to the same level of quality as a rickenbacker - that's what you're paying so much more for. however you may or may not find a gibson SG special more useful, i know i would since rickenbackers are a bit of a 'niche' whereas SGs are good all-rounders. but that doesn't have any relevance towards the quality of the guitars.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp