My band and I actually wrote this song together and recorded it in our guitarists studio.
It isn't fully mastered, and it's pretty decent for it not being done, but I'd like opinions on it.

We haven't released it yet to the public, but I figure this would be the best place to get an opinion. Thanks!

http://soundcloud.com/ahrenleepier-gray/my-will-be-done/s-b3B2G

Comment 4 Comment <3

Edit:
Here's the finished version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBLJRLGtMVE
Last edited by ShiftedSoul at Oct 15, 2011,
The bass drum sound like some muted machine gun, not really good. You could also add some atmosphere to the song, especially at the intro, generally too. 2:20+ the cymbals sound too dry. The song is very dry, at least in my opinion, I got used to very "produced" songs which have a lot of atmosphere behind them, not just guitars. You can do the same with taking for example the guitar track, copying it, and then making it lower in volume and adding a lot of reverb on it. Drums, generally sound very computer-ish, you need to humanize them more, add velocities.
Thanks for the comment, Zeletros. (:
none of us are really professionals at mixing or mastering, we're actually very new to it.
But I'll take what advice you gave me into consideration!
This song sounds a lot better than our older songs, thats for sure, haha.
I think its good for someone who claims to not be good at recording/mixing but i think the drums dont sound that great but still good just not great.

Gear:
Vintage VRS100
Marshall avt50h
Marshall haze cab
Vox ac15vr
Joyo Hot plexi pedal
Behringer SP400 phase shifter
Guitar tech analog delay
Vox Pathfinder 10
The mix is pretty good for someone who doesn't have much experience.

A few things:

1. The kick has too much click and not enough body.

2. The snare needs to have the velocities adjusted, because right now it's just the same hit everytime which makes it sound extremely fake. The toms also need adjustment, but that's less of a big deal, since they're not being hit every 2 seconds

3. Cymbals are a little too bright IMO.

4. Vocals sound a bit dry at parts, but it could just be the rest of the mix, cause I hear some verb in there every once a while. I think the vocals are the strongest point of the mix though, they are done surprisingly well.

5. The guitars sound extremely hollow in the mid range. What are you using?

6. Needs more bass to fill in guitar.

Overall though, it's certainly not bad at all for being unexperienced.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
We actually tracked the guitars using Axe-FX. We didn't have our Amps on us xD
Thanks for all the comments guys.

Actually, this song isn't even done as far as construction goes,
I was more interested in hearing what you guys thought of the structure of the song, if there's anything you like and don't like.
Last edited by ShiftedSoul at Oct 8, 2011,
If you're planning to master this yourselves, first thing I'd say is there's some pretty noticeable pumping in this when that low frequency sample comes in. Have a look at the release time on any comps you're running (you might want to set it longer, so it doesn't open up halfway between two crescendos), and maybe back off the compression a bit altogether if that's still not doing it. If that STILL doesn't fix it, you might want to look at multi-band compression, and deal with the bass separately to the rest of the signal, which'll let you really nail that low end down without crushing the life out of the rest of your mix. Beyond that and maybe a bit of EQ I wouldn't try and do much else, as mastering's a very tricky job!

In terms of the mix, I think it's pretty decent, especially for someone with little experience. The instruments generally suit the style really nicely. I'd also prefer a little more mid in the guitar tone, but what you've got sounds fairly genre appropriate. One thing I noticed is the little tapping solo is a little low in the balance, I'd bring that up a bit, personally.

I know this looks like a whole load of criticism, but I actually think you've done really well with this. I've heard much worse (and I produced most of that )

If you get chance, take a listen to mine?

My Bands

Latest Original Recording
Quote by ShiftedSoul
We actually tracked the guitars using Axe-FX. We didn't have our Amps on us xD

Ah, that explains it then. Axe-FX always has a weird mid range on it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
...i think its great! but yes the bass drum need a bit of tweaking but thats it, but for the bass drum ive heard worse... listen to the band the berzerker
Daemos, Thanks for all the criticism man that's exactly what I was hoping to get!
Where we record at actually doesn't have a subwoofer, and whenever it plays a bass drop, the drop just COMPLETELY Steals the moniters frequencies and you can't hear ANYTHING HAHA, but we also want it to be like POWERFUL you know? so we'd have to go out into a car and play it. But the problem that we had was that One of the cars we own has KICK ASS SUBS IN THE TRUNK, While the other was just a regular old truck, and they both had two completely different tastes to the song, so it was hard for us to figure out how to make it sound good :3
Last edited by ShiftedSoul at Oct 8, 2011,
Quote by NewYngwie
...i think its great! but yes the bass drum need a bit of tweaking but thats it, but for the bass drum ive heard worse... listen to the band the berzerker

checked them out, pretty sweet!
And we're almost done with the song so I'll show the COMPLETE Version in a new thread soon
Thanks for the crit man!
Love what you guys are doing, great stuff, riffs are good and the vocals too, and the mix is pretty good too definatly when you guys are new to it.
Everything that could be said about the mixing has allready been said so
Quote by ShiftedSoul
Here's the finished version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBLJRLGtMVE

lemme know how you think we did

Maybe it's the YouTube compression... but my first impression was that I honestly liked the first one you posted better. The rhythm guitars in the final version are really muffled sounding and off-putting to me.

The drums are much better in the new version, though.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Oct 15, 2011,
I think the bass drum sounds great too me, I wish it was deeper when it's at the center of attention. The hi-hats and cymbals sounded really thin to me, I would of given them more presence. The guitars sounded a little muff, and when then the low sample comes in it has impact, but the guitars don't. There should be a little reverb in some parts, it would of let it sound more real, it feels a little too worked-on for me, I prefer a more live approach to this kind of music. The vocals were very well done, the screams during the breakdown weren't my favorite though. It's all pretty good, great recording. C4C?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1487906
The lead part in the intro sounds so much better in the new version.
I think YouTube castrated the bass drop. Maybe you could upload the new version to SoundCloud?
Musically, this isn't really anything new, but it's decently executed. It kind of reminds me of Unearth (and not just because they have a song called "My Will Be Done").
For the breakdown at the halfway mark, slowing down into pinch harmonics is a good idea, but I'd say spend maybe a bit more time slowing down and less time on the harmonics.
The lead guitar flourishes are well-executed and not overused, but the song still sounds kind of monotonous from all the breakdowns, especially in the second half.
Nice opening, it's a good way to start off a song. But the thing is, I feel like I could listen to a good amount of other core bands and hear the same riff. I like fast verse riffs, they kick ass nice job on those. Your guitar playing is very tight. It flows nice throughout the song, got a nice structure here as well as some awesome melodies. Guitar tone to me is just a little thin with the breakdowns.

I just realized I critiqued the unfinished version hehe.

My opinions of the guitar tone sticks with the finished recording, but it works. Everything is nicely executed, great job on this.

C4C?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1487142
Thanks so much for the Comments guys!
I'd try and fix the things you guys opinionated, but I guess this is the final version.
For a band thats been together for 6 months I feel we're getting pretty decent :P

& Rockfan7, The lows were REALLY hard for me to do, but I can assure you that I can hit them a lot better live than in the studio, I'm terrible when it comes to screaming AT a mic compared to HOLDING one. I like the live feel more than the studio feel.
Quote by ShiftedSoul
Thanks so much for the Comments guys!
I'd try and fix the things you guys opinionated, but I guess this is the final version.
For a band thats been together for 6 months I feel we're getting pretty decent :P

& Rockfan7, The lows were REALLY hard for me to do, but I can assure you that I can hit them a lot better live than in the studio, I'm terrible when it comes to screaming AT a mic compared to HOLDING one. I like the live feel more than the studio feel.

What mic are you using?

At lot of metal vocalists are like this, and it's one of the reasons why a nice dynamic like a Shure SM7b is preferred by most, because it can be held in the hand of the vocalist and moved around, so they can really get into it, without nearly as much detrimental effect as you'd get holding a condenser.

Hell, in many cases, metal vocalists sound better holding an SM58 rather than screaming into an expensive stationary condenser, because it allows them to do a better performance by being able to move around.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Oct 17, 2011,
I'm pretty sure the mic is called a Baby. O____O.
I'm not too sure, it wasn't my mic.

But yeah, I probably should try recording with a dynamic mic in the future so that I can actually let all of my screams out legitimately!
Quote by ShiftedSoul
I'm pretty sure the mic is called a Baby. O____O.
I'm not too sure, it wasn't my mic.

But yeah, I probably should try recording with a dynamic mic in the future so that I can actually let all of my screams out legitimately!

Could be a Blue Baby Bottle?

Quote by ShiftedSoul
Wouldn't it come out distorted though?

Not unless you're running the signal too hot and you're cupping the mic.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com