Page 1 of 2
Randomguy09
315 IQ
"We are here to bring thrash back" is not a excuse to make generic thrash metal! I feel all NWOTM bands are hiding behind this line and use it as an excuse to just use power chords? All this New Wave Of Thrash Metal bands do is fast power chords and shred-like solos.

After listening through bands like Warbringer, Evile, Lazarus A.D, Legion and other NWOTM bands (New Wave Of Thrash Metal) I am bored to death. No one can invent an original sound in Thrash Metal. After 20 min I thought I were listening to the same song by the same band, but no! It was another song by another BAND than what I first put on. Thrash Metal is now the most generic form of metal along with Death Metal on a close second IMO. If anyone know a original sounding Thrash Metal band, let me know!

I really want to play Thrash Metal but I don't know much theory ... YET. I notice all thrash bands ever do is power chords (except for the solos)! Maybe anyone know anything that I can use to refresh the thrash metal genre!

How much theory should I learn? I know limiting myself is not good, but I want to start a band ASAP you see :P

Thanks for answering!
Woffelz
Mmmm...donuts...
3,346 IQ
Learn at least some basic theory and:

- Power chords.
- Palm muting.
- Alternate picking.
- Other basic techniques, such as hammer ons/pull offs.

This will get you started.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
kerokero
347 IQ
Oh, the irony in this post....

Palm mute, single note passages, theory, string skipping, sweeping to keep it interesting, power chords, power chords, and more power chords. Welcome to thrash metal. Take it or leave it.
Zeletros
Banned
1,339 IQ
So... you DO NOT like thrash metal, but you want to play thrash metal?
Sharktoothinlay
Metal...It comes from hel
68 IQ
Thrash Metal is sort of suppoused to be about agression, the intricacy of it comes second really. I mean it doesnt mean you can't be creative and different, but tbh its a bit hard really to do anything other than some sort of power chord rythmn and at the same time keep the Thrash metal feel to it.
jetwash69
891 IQ
What's wrong with power chords? They're pure, honest, and lack pretension.
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath
936 IQ
What's wrong with power chords? They're pure, honest, and lack pretension.[/QUOT!E]
This isnt accurate at all. None of these qualities can objectively be used to describe music itself, just opinions
HotspurJr
191 IQ
Quote by jetwash69
What's wrong with power chords? They're pure, honest, and lack pretension.

Yeah, unlike those pretentious, lying major and minor chords!

Honestly, when talking about music (as opposed to persona), does "pretentious" ever mean anything other than "too complicated for me to play/understand?"

That damn E7 chord - always drinking its tea with it's pinkie up in the air, talking in that fake posh accent! Thinking it's better than all those other chords ...

And Cmajor is just a punk.
Randomguy09
315 IQ
Quote by Zeletros
So... you DO NOT like thrash metal, but you want to play thrash metal?

I like thrash metal, but I just came to realize that it's a bit generic nowadays O.o

Quote by kerokero
Oh, the irony in this post....

Palm mute, single note passages, theory, string skipping, sweeping to keep it interesting, power chords, power chords, and more power chords. Welcome to thrash metal. Take it or leave it.

I'm not being ironic. I meant what I said. And I like thrash metal! But seriously what you just listed is about everything bands use in thrash metal. I want us to come up with new ideas for thrash metal to use here I sorta am like those bands myself. It's hard to think of anything new to put in there that still have the thrash metal feel.

Quote by Sharktoothinlay
Thrash Metal is sort of suppoused to be about agression, the intricacy of it comes second really. I mean it doesnt mean you can't be creative and different, but tbh its a bit hard really to do anything other than some sort of power chord rythmn and at the same time keep the Thrash metal feel to it.

This. I realize it's hard being original while keeping the thrash metal feel. But that makes it generic too. So I couldn't have listened only thrash metal, cuz I would feel bored then. I'll keep it in moderation :P

But guys... Can't we all just work together and think of something cool to put in thrash metal! :P The theory I know is the names of the frets on the neck, power chords, bar chords, pentatonic scale, blues scale, chords (A,G,D and so on). I feel I don't have enough theory to start thrashing yet O.o
Last edited by Randomguy09 at Oct 8, 2011,
DiminishedFifth
Absolute Imperfection
3,247 IQ
You know the problem with what you're asking?

Thrash is already set in stone. If you add anything to it the genre changes. Want an orchestra to play with you? You now have Orchestral Metal. What about high-flying vocals? Welcome to power metal.

You're going to have to extremely exacting and deliberate with what you add. I can't even think of an innovative Thrash band nowadays or a way to innovate it.
Randomguy09
315 IQ
Quote by Cavalcade
Explain how those bands you listed aren't "true" thrash, and what makes "generic" thrash "generic". I'm lost.

Okay. I never said they aren't true thrash, because they are. What makes them generic is all the power chords IMO I have heard tons of other thrash songs within one thrash song :P

But don't get me wrong I like thrash metal, but is it only me that can hear a lot of similliarities between all thrash bands? O.o
Randomguy09
315 IQ
Quote by DiminishedFifth
You know the problem with what you're asking?

Thrash is already set in stone. If you add anything to it the genre changes. Want an orchestra to play with you? You now have Orchestral Metal. What about high-flying vocals? Welcome to power metal.

You're going to have to extremely exacting and deliberate with what you add. I can't even think of an innovative Thrash band nowadays or a way to innovate it.

This! And damn I didn't think of that! Now as I read what you said I agree with you! TIt's clear to me now! If I bring changes into the genre I would just end up playing another already invented genre :/ Anyway thanks for answering man!
Cavalcade
razor sharp
1,942 IQ
Quote by Randomguy09

But don't get me wrong I like thrash metal, but is it only me that can hear a lot of similliarities between all thrash bands? O.o

Of course not, since there have to be some similarities if they're all the same genre. In fact, that's my point; what makes them any different?
Power chords are an important part of most hard rock and metal. Any rock or metal band is almost guaranteed to have used them. But from how you go on about them, it sounds like the bands you're talking about don't use anything else. Go back to all the thrash classics, even lesser-known ones like Bonded By Blood or Eternal Nightmare, and you'll find them in the riffs.
Now, if the riffs are nothing but powerchords, you're not dealing with thrash at all, since that's not one of the main characteristics (you're probably thinking of crust punk), but the bands you listed don't spam powerchords like that. So what's wrong with them?
hr113
115 IQ
"bringing thrash back"....

did i just travel back in time to '08 or something?

As dim.5th said, tnrash is pretty much set in stone genre.
I dont listen to much thrash nowadays , more of a death metal person, but one of my favorite bands is on a thrashier sde

Nevermore, look them up. While power chords and stuff like that is still there, Loomis is total boss when it comes to badass guitar playing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK2i5Ap5Ovo&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Randomguy09
315 IQ
Quote by Cavalcade
Of course not, since there have to be some similarities if they're all the same genre. In fact, that's my point; what makes them any different?
Power chords are an important part of most hard rock and metal. Any rock or metal band is almost guaranteed to have used them. But from how you go on about them, it sounds like the bands you're talking about don't use anything else. Go back to all the thrash classics, even lesser-known ones like Bonded By Blood or Eternal Nightmare, and you'll find them in the riffs.
Now, if the riffs are nothing but powerchords, you're not dealing with thrash at all, since that's not one of the main characteristics (you're probably thinking of crust punk), but the bands you listed don't spam powerchords like that. So what's wrong with them?

If the bands I listed don't spam power chords what are they doing then? My ears are catching only power chords and single string riffs in all thrash metal songs (for rythm). Now prove me wrong then! :P

Btw I'm listening to Bonded by blood now :p
engineno9
376 IQ
Why not trying to add other harmonies to your rhythms? Thirds, fourths, etc? Megadeth uses these sort of riffs. Kind of surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet
Ibanez RGD2127Z w/ BKP Aftermaths
Seagull Entourage Rustic
Peavey 6505 212
Dunlop ZW-45 Crybaby
Randomguy09
315 IQ
Quote by engineno9
Why not trying to add other harmonies to your rhythms? Thirds, fourths, etc? Megadeth uses these sort of riffs. Kind of surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet

Ah yes, harmonies! Totally forgot that... will use it, thanks!
Cavalcade
razor sharp
1,942 IQ
The thrash sound comes from the rhythms, not the chords used.
If you're going to say that a song like this is just "spammed powerchords", you could also argue that, using your example, Exodus just "spams notes". I hear a lot more than just powerchords in both bands- although I hear plenty of powerchords in this.
GoodOl'trashbag
\m/ \m/
1,801 IQ
learn scales, modes... seriously i love playing thrash and i dont just use power chord i actually have some wicked riffs i plan to use.

use pull offs hammer ons, gallops, triplets....

its actually just all creativity once you know theory.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100
ArtemR
248 IQ
try power chords with the major third instead of the fifth, you can make some nasty riffs with those that don't sound all standard power chord ish. you can use the minor third dyad too of course but i haven't really found a use for it in thrashy riffing myself
Randomguy09
315 IQ
Quote by Cavalcade
The thrash sound comes from the rhythms, not the chords used.
If you're going to say that a song like this is just "spammed powerchords", you could also argue that, using your example, Exodus just "spams notes". I hear a lot more than just powerchords in both bands- although I hear plenty of powerchords in this.

Just like I said. My ear only catches fast single string note picking, power chords, and fast palm muting when it comes to thrash O.o Both those bands use a lot of power chords, although Evile use more single string picking riffs I think.

Okay I can agree with that it's not just spammed power chords. It's ,IMO, spammed powe chords and fast palm muting xD
Randomguy09
315 IQ
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
learn scales, modes... seriously i love playing thrash and i dont just use power chord i actually have some wicked riffs i plan to use.

use pull offs hammer ons, gallops, triplets....

its actually just all creativity once you know theory.

I know what gallops, hammer ons and triplets is, but can you be more specific when you talk about scales and modes, please?
Cavalcade
razor sharp
1,942 IQ
Quote by Randomguy09
Okay I can agree with that it's not just spammed power chords. It's ,IMO, spammed powe chords and fast palm muting xD

If it is, then so is classic thrash.
One more time: What's the difference?
Woffelz
Mmmm...donuts...
3,346 IQ
Quote by HotspurJr

And Cmajor is just a punk.

This. I hate C major and how my music teacher always overuses it.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
lfcagger
twat
637 IQ
So... you say you like thrash, and then complain about everything that makes thrash thrash?
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie
1,703 IQ
Ignore thrash, just make music that you like.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Randomguy09
315 IQ
Quote by Cavalcade
If it is, then so is classic thrash.
One more time: What's the difference?

Excactly what I was trying to say! :P There is no difference in thrash anymore! And that is what i try to make, but fail to come up with anything different.

Quote by lfcagger
So... you say you like thrash, and then complain about everything that makes thrash thrash?

Basically yes. I like thrash but I complain about lack of difference :P

Quote by AlanHB
Ignore thrash, just make music that you like.

That's my goal yes :P And I like thrash! But I just can't ignore it O.o
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie
1,703 IQ
Quote by Randomguy09
That's my goal yes :P And I like thrash! But I just can't ignore it O.o

Well you're trying to fit your music into a genre where it won't fit. It would be easier then if you just ignored the genre and make the music O.o
Soundcloud
Randomguy09
315 IQ
Quote by AlanHB
Well you're trying to fit your music into a genre where it won't fit. It would be easier then if you just ignored the genre and make the music O.o

Yeah I see that, but that's kinda hard when I know how I want it to sound, and that is thrash, then I kinda need to follow the characteristics of thrash?
Cavalcade
razor sharp
1,942 IQ
Quote by Randomguy09
Excactly what I was trying to say! :P There is no difference in thrash anymore! And that is what i try to make, but fail to come up with anything different.

You misunderstood me. I meant, what's the difference between modern thrash and old-school thrash?
Randomguy09
315 IQ
Quote by Cavalcade
You misunderstood me. I meant, what's the difference between modern thrash and old-school thrash?

That's also no difference IMO. Many bands sound like Exodus which was, if i'm correct, also one of the pioneers
Randomguy09
315 IQ
Quote by Cavalcade
So...
uh...
...what's the problem?

I want to make different, yet not different thrash metal xD I want to keep it thrash but really stand out, but it's hard to come up with something :P
Mathedes
Dissonant Unison
329 IQ
I agree about this New Wave generic behavior but now the topic has now taken a new direction.

Quote by Randomguy09
I want to make different, yet not different thrash metal xD I want to keep it thrash but really stand out, but it's hard to come up with something :P

Then what you need to do is starting finding your own voice.

Are Megadeth and Slayer similar in the way they sound? Testament and Morbid Saint? They use a lot of the same techniques, they're Thrash, but they don't sound the same. They may be using the same ideas of vocabulary and grammar, but they're writing completely different books because they all have something different to say in the way they want to sound.
We're all alright!
Last edited by Mathedes at Oct 8, 2011,
Randomguy09
315 IQ
Quote by Mathedes
I agree about this New Wave generic behavior but now the topic has now taken a new direction.

Then what you need to do is starting finding your own voice.

Are Megadeth and Slayer similar in the way they sound? Testament and Morbid Saint? They use a lot of the same techniques, they're Thrash, but they don't sound the same. They may be using the same ideas of vocabulary and grammar, but they're writing completely different books because they all have something different to say in the way they want to sound.

Yeah you're right. But I feel it's hard to find my own style when so much have been done already :/
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie
1,703 IQ
Quote by Randomguy09
Yeah I see that, but that's kinda hard when I know how I want it to sound, and that is thrash, then I kinda need to follow the characteristics of thrash?

Do you have any music yet? I don't see this thread going anywhere.
Soundcloud
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie
1,703 IQ
Quote by Randomguy09
I¨just have some riffs. They aren't so good IMO but here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG2WDc0ngzM&feature=channel_video_title This is also generic boring riffs IMO so I will not use these, so I don't have any music yet, but I will start making new riffs.

Well just make music then rather than talking about what sort of music you may or may not make.
Soundcloud