My amp has been screwing with me for a while now, so I'll start with where it began.

It initially worked flawlessly, completely amazing. Then one day, I was playing it in the room over our garage, and this may just be coincidence, but the amp started making a shrill, horrible noise when the garage door was opened (again, I believe it was at the exact same time, it may have just been coincidence). So I moved the amp to my room, and it played fine.

Two days later, it starts making the shrill noise again, this time with no apparent connection to any electronic event. I did the reasonable thing, and took it to GC. As you can guess, nothing happened while it was there. The guy who was "helping" me (seemed to look down on me due to my age, might I add) said that I should try a surge protector.

So I tried the surge protector, which worked for about a week. Then the noise started again. Took it back to GC, got a more helpful person who recommended I get a Monster AudioCenter PRO200 (basically a noise filter for audio related electronics). It works... For three weeks.

The shrill noise just started up again. I'm going to take it to GC or a different guitar store soon, but I figured I might as well ask you guys too... What the hell could be happening with my amp? It's a really great amp, I would be pretty upset if I had to send it in for repair (I do have warranty on it though...)

So basically, people at GC think it's getting interference, but what the hell could be strong enough to break through a filter specifically designed for this purpose? Do you all think it could be something else? Note: The noise is infrequent... Almost. It's not constant but now it happens every 5 minutes or so, and it only gets worse the longer I wait.

EDIT: I should also mention that I've tried it with two different cables, and it makes the noise regardless of it my guitar is plugged into it or not.

EDIT 2: I know someone told me to report back, but I'm not gonna bump the thread just for that (this is in case someone has a similar problem in the future and finds this thread). I checked the tubes a final time... and surprise! It was a power tube. I'm not sure it could be described as microphonic, because it didn't behave like a microphonic tube at all... I suppose the tube was just flat out broken. Anyways, I replaced it, and it works like a charm now!
Last edited by Kevin19 at Oct 11, 2011,
Maybe if you told us what kind of amp it is.

Grounding perhaps?
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Quote by omidmash
Maybe if you told us what kind of amp it is.

Grounding perhaps?

Crate Palomino V32.

I'm not familiar with electronics, how can I test to see if it's grounded properly?

And like I said, the noise seems to temporarily go away every time I hook the amp up to a new outlet or protector, but it eventually just seeps back through.

EDIT: Also, I've checked the tubes, and they're in good condition.
first thing first. what amp is it?

and if it has t00bz maybe change em?

edit: ^^ both lines there are useless due to your post.

erm... maybe a wire is loose or something???
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Last edited by Dempsey68 at Oct 8, 2011,
Quote by Dempsey68
first thing first. what amp is it?

and if it has t00bz maybe change em?

edit: ^^ both lines there are useless due to your post.

erm... maybe a wire is loose or something???

The guy at GC said he didn't see any wiring problems...

And not to sound disrespectful, but wouldn't it make the noise with a new protector if it was a loose wire? It took about a month on the noise filter before the noise came back...
just to get it out of the way have you tried different guitars, cable etc. kinda sounds like you do have a grounding prob thou. I would take the amp to a true amp tech if you can. i'm not kidding when i say this if theres a old tv repair man near you them guys are a great guy to talk to for help.
Quote by moosejr
just to get it out of the way have you tried different guitars, cable etc. kinda sounds like you do have a grounding prob thou. I would take the amp to a true amp tech if you can. i'm not kidding when i say this if theres a old tv repair man near you them guys are a great guy to talk to for help.

I will, I just want to make sure first- If it's a grounding problem, would it have waited three weeks to make the noise after I got a power filter? It wasn't coincidence that the noise stopped when I got the filter...

EDIT: And yes, I've tried with different cables and it makes the noise even if I have my guitar unplugged.
well yes it can just like anything else electronic sometimes there's bugs shall we say you might bump it or it might vibrate in just the right way and it does it other times it will work just fine. the possibilities are endless on what can cause it but try the cables first just to rule everything but the amp out.
i just read your edit ok its the amp. well in that case check your tubes i think theres a thread on how to that here on ug or go to youtube make sure you don;t have one going out and like i said go to a true amp tech or the neighbor hood tv repair man the guy here is like 70 but damm he's good
Quote by moosejr
i just read your edit ok its the amp. well in that case check your tubes i think theres a thread on how to that here on ug or go to youtube make sure you don;t have one going out and like i said go to a true amp tech or the neighbor hood tv repair man the guy here is like 70 but damm he's good

Alright, thanks, I'll get the amp checked out... But the tubes are okay, I checked those
its more then likely something simple loose solder joint or loose wire etc, but don;t try to fix it yourself unless you good at electronics or you got a death wish tube amps retain the power in the caps shock ya into next week. let us know how it turns out.
Umm, no one was available today... So does anybody else have tips or similar experiences?
Try it with just guitar into amp and see what happens. Isolate the fault to the amp itself before proceeding.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Try it with just guitar into amp and see what happens. Isolate the fault to the amp itself before proceeding.

Yes, I've done so, and I still got the noise.
Could be a few things. My guess is a microphonic tube. Try gently tapping the tubes with the rubber end of a pencil or a chopstick. If a loud tapping noise comes out of the speakers replace it. A little microphonics isn't a bad thing, most valve have some, but excessive microphonics will do what you describe.
Really, you should always have a spare set of power valves and at least on spare preamp tube just so you can test your tubes via substitution.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Could be a few things. My guess is a microphonic tube. Try gently tapping the tubes with the rubber end of a pencil or a chopstick. If a loud tapping noise comes out of the speakers replace it. A little microphonics isn't a bad thing, most valve have some, but excessive microphonics will do what you describe.
Really, you should always have a spare set of power valves and at least on spare preamp tube just so you can test your tubes via substitution.

I checked the tubes, they all seem to be fine...

Things I recently noticed:

When plugged in at my house, there's a background hum that doesn't exist when plugged into a GC outlet. This is why I believe that it's receiving interference. But if the noise filter can't fix it, then what can? I also noticed some sort of smell coming from the amp when I turned it on.

Thanks for the help, everyone. I can't find anything on Google about a problem like this, so I'm guessing it's rather rare... The help is greatly appreciated.
Get an electrician in to check your house's earth. A faulty earth stake will do that. There's more to be concerned about than hum from your amp - it's a serious safety issue. Get it checked.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Get an electrician in to check your house's earth. A faulty earth stake will do that. There's more to be concerned about than hum from your amp - it's a serious safety issue. Get it checked.

Alright... I realize this isn't ultimate-house.com, but could this also cause an extremely short flicker in the lights every once in a while?

And one last question: If this is the case, then why did the noise filter seem to stop the noise for about a month?

Thanks, I'm an electricity noob as you can tell
Last edited by Kevin19 at Oct 8, 2011,