I am searching around for some new gear. Have any of you guys tried out the ESP Alexi-200 or a Kramer Vanguard (newer one)? I know that with the ESP LTD Alexi-200, many people said the pickups needed an upgrade. So how would you compare the two of them? My price range is $500 but I can go slightly over. I would like to know some other choices. I play all metal, including melodeath and death metal. Also, which amps for under $300 would be a good choice for my style?
Quote by Ghold125
What's your current gear and where do you live?

this
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have a Squire Strat and a Washburn Bad Dog amp 19 watt (not very good, I know). That's why I'm upgrading my gear. (lol) Ontario, Canada.
pending an answer on the aforementioned question, here is some advice.

for your budget, stay away from anything with a locking trem. they seem like a great idea, having the ability to do all the playing tricks and all, but cheaper locking trems are much more prone to problems such as tuning instability, poor function and early wear (due to the quality of the metals used). steer clear of anything with a locking trem until you get into better licensed units like a fr-1000 or some of the better ibanez ones.

I would suggest that you look at things like the LTD V-300 (a little more than you wanted to spend, but a very decent guitar), Godin redline (either the HB or II, whichever you can afford), Ibanez RGD321 , etc... all are solid guitars with reasonably good electronics. no gimmicks, but everything will work.

as for an amp, try to find a used peavey 6505+combo. it'll give you a really cutting metal tone and enough volume to gig with. otherwise, grab yourself a peavey vypyr modelling amp and play around with the settings. the 6505 will have better tone, but a modelling amp (i prefer the peavey over the line 6 and vox offerings, especially for metal) will give you more options
I checked out those guitars....good choices. They seem to have more compared to my earlier choices, especially with the pickups and the quality. I will try them out sometime. I can probably go slightly over my original budget. Also, the Peavey seems like it would be good for gigging with.....even if I don't play in live situations atm. It could be useful in the future though. I would have to save up for it. Or try to find something closer to my original price range.
Quote by Kingdommetal
I checked out those guitars....good choices. They seem to have more compared to my earlier choices, especially with the pickups and the quality. I will try them out sometime. I can probably go slightly over my original budget. Also, the Peavey seems like it would be good for gigging with.....even if I don't play in live situations atm. It could be useful in the future though. I would have to save up for it. Or try to find something closer to my original price range.

having seen what you played with before, I would definitely suggest one of the modelling amps (either peavey or vox, let your ears choose). you'll get more versatility out of the and they'll sound good at home or jamming. also, check out kijiji and craigslist. sometimes there are absolute steals for amps on there
Quote by krehzeekid
having seen what you played with before, I would definitely suggest one of the modelling amps (either peavey or vox, let your ears choose). you'll get more versatility out of the and they'll sound good at home or jamming. also, check out kijiji and craigslist. sometimes there are absolute steals for amps on there

Yeah, I'm going to be watching kijiji and craiglist. I've seen some pretty good deals on there. I would rather save and buy a used amp (in good condition) than buy one at the store for full price anyways.
I say check out the Peavey Tube 60 as well as the 6505 line. My 75w Vypyr has served me well and given me pretty much any tone i've looked for. I played the Alexi 200 and it's good for what it is, a stripped down, budget metal guitar. You may wanna take a look at Jackson and see if you can find a used V in your budget like a RR3 (good luck though). I really liked the Alexi though. played a friends for about an hour and if it's set up properly it holds tuning very well. He's had his a couple years
im gonna say that the new Vanguard is the shit.

try living with finding a guitar that is the shit and finding out the dont ship to new zealand.
I found a few used RR3's actually. Haven't tried one yet to see if I like it. I'll be checking out that other Peavey as well.