Page 1 of 2
I've seen/heard the phrase 'Hipster' being used but what does it actually mean and where did it come from?

(I didn't use Google because it's too mainstream)
it's the only reason copulation is a fallatic mysertie
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
A Hipster, use to mean someone who was "hip" it I believe originated somewhere in the 30's.

Now a days hipsters use the term ironically, because they don't want to be considered hip, but at the same time want to use the term to falsely solidify their understanding of the word ironic.
You belong in a museum.

Do you Enjoy Forza, and wish to be in an in game Club?! Look no further! Please, join.. there is no one else!
From "Know Your Meme":

“Hipster” is a media stereotype commonly associated with young middle-class adults who share certain interests or values in alternative cultures, mainly independent label music, film and art. Today, the term is predominantly used as a pejorative label to describe someone who outwardly seeks nonconformity through niche consumerism and boycott against mainstream culture.

Relevant:

So is being a 'Hipster' a good thing or a bad thing. From the definition DiminishedFifth wrote it sounds like a good thing but the meme's i've seen imply they are a negative thing?
"Hipster" is a term co-opted for use as a meaningless pejorative in order to vaguely call someone else's authenticity into question and, by extension, claim authenticity for yourself.

It serves no conversational function and imparts no information, save for indicating the opinions and preferences of the speaker.

Meanwhile, a market myth has sprung up around the term, as well as a cultural bogeyman consisting of elusive white 20-somethings who wear certain clothes (but no one will agree on what), listen to certain music (no one can agree on this either), and act a certain way (you've probably sensed the pattern on your own).

Suffice it to say, no one self-identifies as a hipster; the term is always applied to an Other, to separate the authentic Us from the inauthentic, "ironic" Them.

tl;dr: if you believe hipsters exist, you are a plebeian.
Quote by bradulator

Hipsters are people who get all high and mighty when you mention liking a Coldplay song and then try to roofie you.
Quote by due 07
"Hipster" is a term co-opted for use as a meaningless pejorative in order to vaguely call someone else's authenticity into question and, by extension, claim authenticity for yourself.

It serves no conversational function and imparts no information, save for indicating the opinions and preferences of the speaker.

Meanwhile, a market myth has sprung up around the term, as well as a cultural bogeyman consisting of elusive white 20-somethings who wear certain clothes (but no one will agree on what), listen to certain music (no one can agree on this either), and act a certain way (you've probably sensed the pattern on your own).

Suffice it to say, no one self-identifies as a hipster; the term is always applied to an Other, to separate the authentic Us from the inauthentic, "ironic" Them.

tl;dr: if you believe hipsters exist, you are a plebeian.

Aah ok, this makes sense.

So they're pretty much provoking people who are geniunly interested in alternative culture just to be different rather than actually being geniunly interested in it?
It was a term used to describe a follower of the indie scene, nowadays it has negative connotations.
Nothing wrong with having some hipster cred. Not all of them are blind idiots.
love is love // return to dust
Quote by Afroboy267

So they're pretty much provoking people who are geniunly interested in alternative culture just to be different rather than actually being geniunly interested in it?

Yeah, pretty much. The stereotype is that they hate popular things because they are popular, not because they are bad
Quote by laid-to-waste
*pictures*]

See this is what I don't understand. Aside from that huge fluffy thing in the second picture this dude is dressed pretty sharp. Why make fun of a demographic of people who dress nice?
love is love // return to dust
Quote by tancanada
See this is what I don't understand. Aside from that huge fluffy thing in the second picture this dude is dressed pretty sharp. Why make fun of a demographic of people who dress nice?

because most of the time the demographic of the adjacents of their concepts are perpendicular to their motives. it's as if their emotions are driven by savage illuminate obstacles labelled into blissful ignorance.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Quote by Afroboy267

It's more a militant disdain for anything popular.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Pfft, Coldplay is total overrated mainstream garbage.

I'm sorry, but are you or have you ever been a music critic on a professional level? Do you have a degree of some sorts that specifies/is revolved around learning what is considered 'overrated mainstream garbage' and what's not? Do you have any evidence to support your claims about Coldplay's music and work being comparable to rubbish? I'm assuming the answer to all those questions is "No.", so you don't really know what you're talking about do you?

Coldplay is god awful though.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Oct 8, 2011,
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I'm sorry, but are you or have you ever been a music critic on a professional level? Do you have a degree of some sorts that specifies/is revolved around learning what is considered 'overrated mainstream garbage' and what's not? Do you have any evidence to support your claims about Coldplay's music and work being comparable to rubbish? I'm assuming the answer to all those questions is "No.", so you don't really know what you're talking about do you?

Hmm. Do you really need professional level qualifications to express an opinion? I'm not a fan of Coldplay either but I don't think it's worth getting wound up because someone else can't keep their opinions to themselves.
Due, much as I like you, hipsters totally do exist. It's definately a style. I guess it's kind of like MOD but no where near as unified a movement. All about the consumerism and style. It's kind of broad though, so pretty much if you don't onky wear highstreet clothes you could be a hipster. Like, i can wear once second hand thing amongst an outfit of highstreet clothes and people will see the whole outfit as non-normal. The negativity is that it's annoying when people seem to go out of their way to be weird. Like the kid who pretends to be high and stuff.

I guess I'm a hipster too. But ironically (cwatididthar) it's not because I want to be a hipster. I would love when people listen to the same stuff I do, if I meet someone who does I start gushing, and I constantly post music on facebook. But I'm a natural collector, so I love going through second hand stores for clothes, books, records, leaflets, and such.

And anyway, its always had negative connotations, it's from when white guys tried to get into Jazz clubs in the 30s.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Last edited by Hereiwas at Oct 8, 2011,
Quote by Afroboy267
Hmm. Do you really need professional level qualifications to express an opinion? I'm not a fan of Coldplay either but I don't think it's worth getting wound up because someone else can't keep their opinions to themselves.

Look at my edit, I realized I might have been too much of a dick so I agreed with him.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Look at my edit, I realized I might have been too much of a dick so I agreed with him.

Ah right, fair enough.
Quote by Hereiwas
Due, much as I like you, hipsters totally do exist. It's definately a style. I guess it's kind of like MOD but no where near as unified a movement. All about the consumerism and style. It's kind of broad though, so pretty much if you don't onky wear highstreet clothes you could be a hipster. Like, i can wear once second hand thing amongst an outfit of highstreet clothes and people will see the whole outfit as non-normal. The negativity is that it's annoying when people seem to go out of their way to be weird. Like the kid who pretends to be high and stuff.

I guess I'm a hipster too. But ironically (cwatididthar) it's not because I want to be a hipster. I would love if people listened to the same stuff I do, if I meet someone who does I start gushing, and I constantly post music on facebook. But I'm a natural collector, so I love going through second hand stores for clothes, books, records, leaflets, and such.

And anyway, its always had negative connotations, it's from when white guys tried to get into Jazz clubs in the 30s.

The thing I posted was just copypasta.

I mean there's definitely a subculture defined by the "hipster" set of clothes, music, etc; but the "No my favorite band is mainstream irony irony irony!!!" hipster subculture is mostly made up. There are a few tryhards who might say things like that, but that's it (and they're not just indie kids, either).
Quote by due 07
tryhards

Due confirmed for hipster

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Hipsters started in the 60's, though the were nothing like today's hipsters.

Stupid hipsters
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
I don't really like hipsters. Or people who try to be fashionable. It just puts pressure on the rest of us to "express ourselves" through clothing, like that shit makes any sense. What the hell are you expressing? Lack of wealth? Poor color coordination?
Quote by due 07
The thing I posted was just copypasta.

I mean there's definitely a subculture defined by the "hipster" set of clothes, music, etc; but the "No my favorite band is mainstream irony irony irony!!!" hipster subculture is mostly made up. There are a few tryhards who might say things like that, but that's it (and they're not just indie kids, either).

Oh right. Good-oh.

We could continue in a spiralling barrage of agreements, but instead...

How about that Jeff Mangum, eh. Poor guy must be exhasted, playing so many concerts...
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Quote by Afroboy267
So is being a 'Hipster' a good thing or a bad thing. From the definition DiminishedFifth wrote it sounds like a good thing but the meme's i've seen imply they are a negative thing?

Depends on whether you want to be a hipster or not, depends on what you think is cool and who you think is cool. What kind of life you are living, want to live, and have lived, how old you are and shit like that.
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel
Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.

Also please visit this thread and help me tab out an album!!!
thread.
The phrase hipster has been around forever. Basically it's a group of people that are on the latest trends, or are hip.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Afroboy267

I was called a hipster the other day because I don't like Star Wars and I think Blade Runner is a poor substitute for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Page 1 of 2