Hello guys,

I'm looking for to achieve the best sound possible. My current sound gear situation, maybe, is what's not pleasing my ears and it is pretty frustrating. You know what it feels: if it sounds awesome, you will want to play all day. Not my current case.

My gear consists of a Bugera 412H-BK 200W 4x12 and a Bugera 333XL. I have tested the head with a Marshall JCM1060, A I believe, and it sounded terrific. Actually a producer friend of mine was impressed. So, I think the head is not the issue but I might be wrong: this is why I'm here!

I also use a POD HD 500 which I think is awesome, and as far as I know, the best sound is achieved if it goes through the send and receive inputs that the 333XL has.

Lastly, I own a Santana PRS, 2002 I think, and a Ibanez SZ320 : not the best guitars, but I think they are not the worst neither.

I think it will be best to get a decent cab as this is one of the best you can get for the price, and the sound is not 100% awful, but I'm looking for great sound at a good price and I think Marshall is the way to go.

Suggestions?
You cab.......well sucks and that is a major part of the tone you get from an amp.

A 1960 cab is gonna be worlds better than what you have know, but there are many cabs that will work well.

Avatar makes really nice cabs that you custom order for @$550ish. You pick the color, grill, and speaker type.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
devil is in the details. The amp and guitar are cabable of good tone. they might not sound custom made or boutique, but they are definitley not garbage.

unfortumately, 412s are hard. hard to move, are to change, hard to upgrade cause they are 4x of everything. if you dont want to change that, ok, mute point.

make sure you are using fresh strings and a shorter decent cable comin out of your guitar. i personally would say loose the POD. thats just me, i think they are garbage and better tone is had with individual pedals. if not, i do not like line 6 effects. i would say the pod is your biggest loser.

then i would say either look into 3 options. 1, upgrade the speakers in your cab, get a new cab, and maybe mess with your amp/pickups.

buying a new marhsall 4x12 is expensive. i personall would spend my money on a really nice 2x12 with my choice of speakers. if you get a marshall, its going to come with celestions. if you buy your own cab you can load it with ANYTHING. plus, the total package will be cheaper.

you can always change your pickups if you know what you want. you can also change the tubes n your amp. i personally find cranking the gain on a bugera to get really fizzy fast.

if i was you, instead of dropping 800 on a marshall i would:

- put 429 on a loaded avatar 2x12
- upgrade 2-4 of the preamp tubes for about 30-60 bucks, 80 if they are nice (we will say 55)
- sell the pod..im just going to say 300 used. so we are back up to 616 on the budget

- this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gator-pedal-bone-pedal-board

- pedals: Tuner, OD (pretty standard), Wah

we are down to 296. spend that on more pedals that you use, or buy new pickups or power tubes. maybe a short, high quality guitar cable and speaker cable.
If the 1960A is what you like, get one used. I got one for 300 euros, and I've been very happy. Your current cab is about as desirable as a used tampon.

Perhaps go to some stores and friends, and try out some different cabinets and speakers. See what you like, and buy the used version of it or get an Avatar like someone else suggested, and put in whatever you like.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Oct 8, 2011,
Quote by Robbgnarly
You cab.......well sucks and that is a major part of the tone you get from an amp.

A 1960 cab is gonna be worlds better than what you have know, but there are many cabs that will work well.

Avatar makes really nice cabs that you custom order for @$550ish. You pick the color, grill, and speaker type.

lol. I like your honesty. I'm actually here to make a change so your suggestions are really important.

There's nothing to hide: the cab sucks. I have never heard of Avatar but I thank you for the suggestion. I found their website:is this the right one?
Hey ikey_,

Yes, this thing is heavy and bulky.

1. I actually use Planet Waves cables, the good, gold plated ones, and also have good speaker cables; all Planet Waves. The strings is also a great point: I haven't changed them in some time.

2. I actually like to experiment with lots of sounds. Individual pedals always limited me. But again, it is a personal choice. Listening to bands who actually use effects like these: TesseracT and Periphery. Not precisely the 500HD POD, but they do use effect modulators such as. The cool thing about it is that I can use it with and without my amp's original sound so there is no connection limits there.

I really appreciate the effort you put on writing all this. Let me continue:

3. Wow, 2 people recommending Avatar. Nice. So go for a 2 x 12 with what speakers? Celestion? Which model?

4. Pickups: Well, I want to sound like Porcupine Tree guitars. From heavy to mellow to effect and it always sounds good. What pickups could be good?

THANKS!
What you really need is a new speaker cabinet.
bugeras are teh sux. Heads are ok sounding with a good cab (reliability issues obviously) but the cabs are pretty crap!
you could replace the speakers but honestly just get a new cab since its usually cheaper anyways.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Oct 10, 2011,
Quote by coolstoryangus
What you really need is a new speaker cabinet.
bugeras are teh sux
you could replace the speakers but honestly just get a new cab since its usually cheaper anyways.

No doubt. I'm really glad to know everyone is on the same page. I tried to get something I thought was going to be ok, but Bugera's head is the only thing I liked. The cab sucks big time.

However, if I was just learning to play this thing would just be the coolest toy on Earth.
Quote by elliumeffect
Hey ikey_,

Yes, this thing is heavy and bulky.

1. I actually use Planet Waves cables, the good, gold plated ones, and also have good speaker cables; all Planet Waves. The strings is also a great point: I haven't changed them in some time.

2. I actually like to experiment with lots of sounds. Individual pedals always limited me. But again, it is a personal choice. Listening to bands who actually use effects like these: TesseracT and Periphery. Not precisely the 500HD POD, but they do use effect modulators such as. The cool thing about it is that I can use it with and without my amp's original sound so there is no connection limits there.

I really appreciate the effort you put on writing all this. Let me continue:

3. Wow, 2 people recommending Avatar. Nice. So go for a 2 x 12 with what speakers? Celestion? Which model?

4. Pickups: Well, I want to sound like Porcupine Tree guitars. From heavy to mellow to effect and it always sounds good. What pickups could be good?

THANKS!

One thing at a time. Get a new cab first, get used to that cab, see if you still want to sound different, only then look at pickups to see which will get you that difference you still seek.

2x12 would be just fine.

What music are you into? Speaker choice would depend on that. Also, open, semi-open, or closed back cabinet depends on it.

For example, if you want balls to the wall metal you'd get a closed back for the tight low end, with V30 speakers for their high middy growl.

If you play mainly clean and you want a lot of sparkle, you'd probably want an open back or semi-open back cabinet for the more roomy sound, and some nice glassy speakers such as greenbacks.

Stuff like that.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Oct 10, 2011,
Quote by Mark G
One thing at a time. Get a new cab first, get used to that cab, see if you still want to sound different, only then look at pickups to see which will get you that difference you still seek.

2x12 would be just fine.

What music are you into? Speaker choice would depend on that.

this. exactly this
Quote by Mark G

2x12 would be just fine.

What music are you into? Speaker choice would depend on that. Also, open, semi-open, or closed back cabinet depends on it.

For example, if you want balls to the wall metal you'd get a closed back for the tight low end, with V30 speakers for their high middy growl.

If you play mainly clean and you want a lot of sparkle, you'd probably want an open back or semi-open back cabinet for the more roomy sound, and some nice glassy speakers such as greenbacks.

Stuff like that.

Hey Mark, you are so right. Let's start with the cab first. I am into hard rock, progressive. I like Chevelle, Porcupine Tree, Silverchair, TesseracT; just to name 4 bands I really like to get you an idea of the sound I want. I need a set of speakers that can sound as clear as possible whether I am playing heavy riffs or mellow, effect-ed sounds. Think of "Arriving Nowhere But Here" from Porcupine Tree for an idea.

So, no metal 100%; no clean sound 100%. I also want to get a 7-string soon. Not planning on down-tuning it but I like low sounds. Drop D and Drop D -Flat is what I like to play and now the 7-string lowness.
Well if clarity is what you want, and you're getting a 7 string, Celestion V30s are the only way to go really. Get yourself a nice 2x12 with V30s with a closed back, which can be opened if needed.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Oct 12, 2011,
Quote by Mark G
Well if clarity is what you want, and you're getting a 7 string, Celestion V30s are the only way to go really. Get yourself a nice 2x12 with V30s with a closed back, which can be opened if needed.

So basically I call Avatar and say "I want to customize a cab," and they run me through everything?

You are the pro, so Celestion V30s are the ones. I assume those are also good for heavy sounds such as TesseracT, Chevelle, and Porcupine Tree. Yes?
Yeah. Give Dave at Avatar a call - or any of those guys really can help. They'll walk you through it. You pretty much can't go wrong with Celestion Vintage 30s. I also recommend Avatar's Hellatone brand of speakers. They are broken in Celestions at a cheaper price. They make a 'Convertible' cab that allows you to take the part of the back off for a more open sound. If you get a strait closed back cab and the jack is mounted on the back - then you'd have to rewire a new jack if you took the back panel off. Just get a convertible cab. I was very happy with the Avatar I bought from them. I've got tons of pictures of it too if you are interested.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Yeah. Give Dave at Avatar a call - or any of those guys really can help. They'll walk you through it. You pretty much can't go wrong with Celestion Vintage 30s. I also recommend Avatar's Hellatone brand of speakers. They are broken in Celestions at a cheaper price. They make a 'Convertible' cab that allows you to take the part of the back off for a more open sound. If you get a strait closed back cab and the jack is mounted on the back - then you'd have to rewire a new jack if you took the back panel off. Just get a convertible cab. I was very happy with the Avatar I bought from them. I've got tons of pictures of it too if you are interested.

So thats what avatar calls it. Alright, a 2x12 avatar "convertible" cab it is. I'd stick with V30s, but give those Hellatones a listen and see.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

That's precisely what I will do! I like the convertible cab idea A LOT. I also like the Hellatone stuff but wouldn't you go with the new Celestions if you could? I mean, I am trying to get the best stuff I can right now. I bought the Bugera thinking it was good and I was "saving money" but it wasn't what I needed.

Hey, I DO want to check those images! PM with your email? Thanks bud!