Gain a little more popularity, but still wont be a primary way to buy music
42 40%
Stay as it is, and it wont be a primary medium
31 30%
It's going nowhere
29 28%
Voters: 105.
Page 1 of 2
Do you think vinyl has the power revolutionize the music industry? Considering its a physical medium, and its desirable properties cant be shared via the internet for free, do you think it will help to revive the music industry if priced reasonably? Would you consider buying vinyl if it came with a CD, or download key as well? Any other thoughts?
PRS CE22
PRS SE Santana
Fender Spalted Maple Tele
Squier Affinity Tele w.mods
Mesa Boogie Mark IV Combo + 212 Recto Cab
Homemade Ash Bass
BBE Two Timer
DUNLOP Wah
BOSS GE-7
KORG Pitchblack
MXR Dyna Comp

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
I do buy some vinyl, but it won't revolutionise the music industry.
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
Quote by Carndawgy
Do you think vinyl has the power revolutionize the music industry? Considering its a physical medium, and its desirable properties cant be shared via the internet for free, do you think it will help to revive the music industry if priced reasonably? Would you consider buying vinyl if it came with a CD, or download key as well? Any other thoughts?

That's precisely why it won't revolutionize the music industry.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by mental_zer0
It's really easy to take music from a vinyl and put it on your computer. So, no.

But, those who love vinyl listen to it for the fact that its not a shitty sounding MP3. If that attitude happened to catch on, perhaps it'd go somewhere
PRS CE22
PRS SE Santana
Homemade Ash Bass
BBE Two Timer
DUNLOP Wah
BOSS GE-7
KORG Pitchblack
MXR Dyna Comp

Too few care about vinyls, they're mostly collector items nowadays for show. Personally I don't really see how they are relevant in any other way today, CDs are much easier to store and use
Quote by Carndawgy
a shitty sounding MP3

I doubt it's the MP3 that's the problem...

BL
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Quote by Carndawgy
But, those who love vinyl listen to it for the fact that its not a shitty sounding MP3. If that attitude happened to catch on, perhaps it'd go somewhere

I listen to it because it's fun to put on when you got people over. Plus it's badass. Defintely not because I think mp3s sound shitty.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I've started collecting vinyl recently and I love all of my LPs. The great artwork, posters, gate-fold designs really add to the package in a way that you just don't get with Cd's.

I still have my Ipod and I love that I'm able to carry my entire collection in my pocket anywhere, however when I'm at home and I've got friends over or something the vinyls go on and we make an event out of it.

Both formats have their pros and cons, however I would like to see vinyl become more popular albeit alongside current technology.

Edit:

Quote by Carndawgy

To be honest, the majority of people don't give a shit about the music they listen to and just buy it to fit in, most people in my experience are ignorant of music nowadays, makes me sad bro.

People need to fall in love with proper music again, it's all too disposable now. There's still a lot of good stuff out there, don't get me wrong. But it's far from popular.
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Last edited by flyingmarlin at Oct 8, 2011,
I think it'll be one of the few forms of physical music that still sells in the coming years. Lots of hardcore and indie bands have recognized this, so they're fine with piracy and focus on vinyl.
nope
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by flyingmarlin
To be honest, the majority of people don't give a shit about the music they listen to and just buy it to fit in, most people in my experience are ignorant of music nowadays, makes me sad bro.

Pot... kettle...

BL
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Quote by BlackLuster
Pot... kettle...

BL

Eh?

Edit: So your saying I'm the same as the people I'm disappointed with... How?

Edit 2: If that's the case then fuck you.
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Last edited by flyingmarlin at Oct 8, 2011,
Quote by Carndawgy

The bolded sounds like a good idea. I wouldn't buy it, but it would be more desirable.
Buying CDs is worthless imo, all you get is a digital copy to put on your computer and that's it.

With an LP, you usually get a CD or MP3 download code included, so you're essentially getting the same thing as a CD, but you also get the extra novelty of being able to use it on a record player. So unlike a CD, it isn't totally useless.

Because the only people who still play CDs are people stuck in the 1990's without MP3 players or people stuck in the 2000's without MP3 hookups in their cars.
Quote by mental_zer0
It's really easy to take music from a vinyl and put it on your computer. So, no.

But unless you have good equipment to do it with it's just not worth it. Those silly little $200 USB turntables aren't going to cut it.
I've pretty much always listened to vinyl. I buy music on whatever format it presents itself to me though, it's not like I prefer vinyl over anyhting else. THough having said that I tend to pick the vinyl if the price is more or less equal. I need a tape deck at teh minute :/

I think it will probably reclaim the physical market and it will reshuffle to Vinyl, CD, Tape if vinyl gets much cheaper. People seem surprised when they find out I listen to vinyl, but I think they are also interested, so maybe it will pick up. My record player can plug into the computer, so I don't need download cards.

I don't think it will re-invigoarte teh market or anythin though. Free downloads are the future unless you're a natural collector. You can't download a record encased in a cannabis flavoured jelly head.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Quote by jetfuel495
Buying CDs is worthless imo, all you get is a digital copy to put on your computer and that's it.

With an LP, you usually get a CD or MP3 download code included, so you're essentially getting the same thing as a CD, but you also get the extra novelty of being able to use it on a record player. So unlike a CD, it isn't totally useless.

Because the only people who still play CDs are people stuck in the 1990's without MP3 players or people stuck in the 2000's without MP3 hookups in their cars.
But unless you have good equipment to do it with it's just not worth it. Those silly little $200 USB turntables aren't going to cut it.

CDs are for people stuck in the 90s? Utter bollocks. CD is better quality and you have a physical product. MP3s are for people who have relegated music to the background. Downloading music is worthless IMO.
Takes up way too much space and costs too much for a player.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
I almost never use my record player, even though I have a couple hundred records that my dad got when he was younger.

It's about ease of use and size. It's much easier to turn on an iPod or MP3 and listen to multiple bands or albums, rather than put on a record of just one band, one album.

Though sometimes I do throw on a Rare Earth record
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by Carndawgy
Would you consider buying vinyl if it came with a CD, or download key as well?

I bought the Foxboro Hot Tubs album on vinyl and it came with the CD. I think Weezer's Ratitude does too, but I can't be sure since I didn't buy the vinyl.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
No it won't.

But owning vinyl records is a really good idea if you want your music collection to last, because it's fairly easy to use and probably won't disappear with time. Other formats die fairly quickly, so you might find yourself in a position of not being able to play your media, if you haven't updated it to the latest digital format every 5-10 years.
<Omri> I love trannys too..
Quote by Deliriumbassist
CDs are for people stuck in the 90s? Utter bollocks. CD is better quality and you have a physical product. MP3s are for people who have relegated music to the background. Downloading music is worthless IMO.

I'm well aware that a CD will always have better quality than a digital copy, but until I can afford the equipment to really appreciate the difference between a CD and FLAC or VBR then it doesn't really matter to me. Plus, I can't scrobble a CD
Quote by Hells_Bell
No it won't.

But owning vinyl records is a really good idea if you want your music collection to last, because it's fairly easy to use and probably won't disappear with time. Other formats die fairly quickly, so you might find yourself in a position of not being able to play your media, if you haven't updated it to the latest digital format every 5-10 years.

Vinyl does wear out though. It's also expensive to run- new styli every 1500-2500 hours, destatic equipment, vinyl cleaning equipment, bearing lubrication for the turntable, belt replacements...
Quote by Carndawgy
vinyl

Quote by Carndawgy
priced reasonably

Ha! Ha!
If I had the money, bands still published on vinyl (regularly, not the odd special edition) and access to good reasonably priced equipment I'd but vinyl. Both for the novelty and I like the sound.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Vinyl does wear out though. It's also expensive to run- new styli every 1500-2500 hours, destatic equipment, vinyl cleaning equipment, bearing lubrication for the turntable, belt replacements...

I didn't say it wasn't a pain in the ass. I just said it is more likely to survive 50-60+ years and still be accessible, unlike mp3s which can easily be dsicarded as a valid digital format in 10 years or so.
<Omri> I love trannys too..
Quote by Hells_Bell
I didn't say it wasn't a pain in the ass. I just said it is more likely to survive 50-60+ years and still be accessible, unlike mp3s which can easily be dsicarded as a valid digital format in 10 years or so.

but what about CD's?
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Carndawgy

Yeah, they'll listen to it because it's shitty sounding vinyl which fails in sound quality next to a CD.
definitely. one of these days all the idiots who use digital will finally realize that analog is clearly superior, and vinyl above all is without a doubt the greatest medium in the whole history of sound, since it doesn't mess up the sound the way digital music does. digital sounds far worse than vinyl, and it also completely ruins the experience, since you can't just skip to one track you want to hear, which will botch your listening experience because you are not listening to the tracks in the order that the artist chose with the utmost care, thus not giving you the full potential experience of the album. vinyl is without a doubt better than digital could hope to be, and anyone who tells you otherwise simply has mad ears or doesn't care about sound quality the way we analog purists do. one day those dirty digital dummies will see the light and then the whole music industry will revert back to vinyl the way it was in the old days, back during the peak of music. notice how music has declined in quality with each new medium, becoming less creative, until the point where today's music has no talent. this is clearly a result of not using vinyl any more. but once the industry switches back to vinyl, music will be good again.

tl;dr: you're probably one of those digital-loving fools if you didn't read all of that.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
i agree with theogonia in the sense that if people listened to vinyl, it would certainly improve the quality of music. i love nothing more than to listen to a good album front to back. few bands create records that are worth listening to front to back, and have a definite flow or journey within them. my favourite recent one is crack the skye by mastodon. they nailed it
PRS CE22
PRS SE Santana
Homemade Ash Bass
BBE Two Timer
DUNLOP Wah
BOSS GE-7
KORG Pitchblack
MXR Dyna Comp

There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
It will be very beneficial for the music industry.

But only if they kill off all of digital technology. ALL OF IT.

It shallt develop slightly.
There are those who say that vinyl sounds better, I don't hear it personally. I just like collecting them, and they're hella cheap (if you check secondhand stores and whatnot). So no, it won't revolutionise music, it's a collectors item.
Quote by theogonia777
since you can't just skip to one track you want to hear,

You can skip tracks on vinyl. I do it all the time. You're thinking about cassette.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
You can skip tracks on vinyl. I do it all the time. You're thinking about cassette.

maybe you should try reading that through all the way again.
Quote by theogonia777
maybe you should try reading that through all the way again.

I did, there was too much opinion and little fact.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Page 1 of 2