I wanted to record a few of my song, but I lack the equipment. I'm tight on cash atm, so I'm looking for the cheapest possible. What programs/ gear would I need for this?
Unless you want it to sound horrible, you will need a decent interface with at least 1 1/4" input. You can download Reaper for free, which is a great recording software.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Unless you want it to sound horrible, you will need a decent interface with at least 1 1/4" input. You can download Reaper for free, which is a great recording software.

How much would a "decent" interface cost?
Quote by sandyman323
What are you wanting to record?

some of my originals
Quote by sandyman323
On your accordion? What instruments...

err... guitar and bass
Quote by MatrixClaw

For 30 days, then you need to buy a license. Not trying to start anything, just wanted to point that out so people don't think it's fully free.

If you can't buy the license, try Audacity. I think it's free for life, but you'll have to check. Not anything on Reaper, but it can record basic tracks etc.
Quote by DeadlySurfer
For 30 days, then you need to buy a license. Not trying to start anything, just wanted to point that out so people don't think it's fully free.

Since Cockos doesn't enforce it, it is basically donationware. Reaper has been installed on my laptop for over 3 years and still works the same as day one. Either way, it's only $60 for the license. It might say you're "supposed" to buy it, but it will continue to work as long as you want.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Since Cockos doesn't enforce it, it is basically donationware. Reaper has been installed on my laptop for over 3 years and still works the same as day one. Either way, it's only $60 for the license. It might say you're "supposed" to buy it, but it will continue to work as long as you want.

You're right, you don't have to, but your trial period is up and therefore you should buy the license. I know it works no matter what, but it's cheap enough to buy. For example, it'd be $20s a year for you as it is.

I don't want to start a long debate, but it's great software that I think more people should stop seeing as being "free". I didn't realise it wasn't either for a while, but when I did I deleted it, and I'll buy it once I get my setup going.

Would you download an album illegally? Because it's almost the same thing, and I choose to support the artists/makers etc.
Quote by sandyman323
Just guitar and bass? Never vocals?

Don't think I'll be doing vocals just yet.
Quote by DeadlySurfer
Would you download an album illegally? Because it's almost the same thing, and I choose to support the artists/makers etc.

It's not the same thing at all.

If they crippled the software and forced you to upgrade or delete it, and you downloaded an illegal copy, yes, then it would be the same. But since you can download the full, uncrippled version, directly from them, without any limitations after the trial period, they are opening themselves up to people using it as long as they want, without buying it.

Sure, it's the "right" thing to do to pay the $60 for the license, but with no incentive to do so, it's fairly pointless. I eventually did buy the license for it, just because I use it so much that I feel like Cockos is worth investing money in for continued updates... but for someone not using the program to make any money, do you really think they're going to pay for it?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's not the same thing at all.

If they crippled the software and forced you to upgrade or delete it, and you downloaded an illegal copy, yes, then it would be the same. But since you can download the full, uncrippled version, directly from them, without any limitations after the trial period, they are opening themselves up to people using it as long as they want, without buying it.

Sure, it's the "right" thing to do to pay the $60 for the license, but with no incentive to do so, it's fairly pointless. I eventually did buy the license for it, just because I use it so much that I feel like Cockos is worth investing money in for continued updates... but for someone not using the program to make any money, do you really think they're going to pay for it?

"The evaluation version of REAPER is complete and uncrippled. There are no artificial interruptions or restrictions, and you can save and load projects normally. We believe in giving you a fair chance to make sure that REAPER works correctly with your hardware and suits your workflow."

Seems to me like they rely on you doing the right thing. Just comes down to morals, I suppose.
Quote by MatrixClaw
but for someone not using the program to make any money, do you really think they're going to pay for it?

I don't make money from Rolo McFlurries, small black coffees, or even my car. I pay for those...

Quote by Deadly Surfer
Seems to me like they rely on you doing the right thing. Just comes down to morals, I suppose.

^ This. Clearly, they *want* you to pay for it if you are going to continue to use it. As the creators, they have every right to want this, and to request it, which they do. In the end, it comes down to respect and doing the right thing.

It's only donation ware if they call it donation ware. They don't.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by sandyman323
Just guitar and bass? Never vocals?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/line-6-pod-studio-gx-with-pod-farm

Look for something like that used.

Agreed.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by axemanchris
I don't make money from Rolo McFlurries, small black coffees, or even my car. I pay for those...

Well, you do in a sense. Substituting the McFlurry for a more general category of food, which gives you energy to operate, and without it you would die, the coffee wakes you up to continue your work, and your car gets you to work. Without all 3 of those, you might have a hard time earning money

I see what you're getting at though, but at the same time - Those companies demand that you pay for the item when you get them (or with some kind of financing program). Cockos does not ask this of you, therefore, while it might be morally right to buy it after the 30 day trial is up, whether you can afford to, and want to spend the money is up to the consumer (ie: donationware).

Like I said, I own a license to the program, so I'm not saying that just because it's free doesn't mean that I myself am not going to buy it. I use Reaper on a daily basis and, since I sometimes use it to make money, and I also own two other recording programs that I paid significantly more money for, I have no problem paying the nominal $60 fee for the license, if it means further development of a program that I love. I was merely stating that for most users of the software, they will never pay for, nor do they have to pay for the software. If you feel the need to buy the software after using it for 30 days, 3 months or a year, more power to you! You're supporting a great software that has great developers behind it, but if you don't, it's Cockos' own fault for not making any money off of you, and I could honestly care less, since they choose not to enforce it. You're not pirating their software if they're not going to cripple it after the trial period.

Quote by axemanchris
It's only donation ware if they call it donation ware. They don't.

So if I called my band polka-rap-core, when in reality, there's no polka, rap or any kind of -core influences, and we're really just a rock band, it's still polka-rap-core, because I said so?

Just because a company says it's one thing, doesn't mean that it is.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Well, you do in a sense. Substituting the McFlurry for a more general category of food, which gives you energy to operate, and without it you would die, the coffee wakes you up to continue your work, and your car gets you to work. Without all 3 of those, you might have a hard time earning money

Bit of a reach there, eh?

Quote by MatrixClaw

So if I called my band polka-rap-core, when in reality, there's no polka, rap or any kind of -core influences, and we're really just a rock band, it's still polka-rap-core, because I said so?

Just because a company says it's one thing, doesn't mean that it is.

Again, a bit of a reach there too. As a product creator, they have the right to define under what terms it is used and under what terms it is bought, sold, and given away.

Only they have that right to make that definition. It is not for anyone else to try to define that product.

CT

Quote by axemanchris
Again, a bit of a reach there too. As a product creator, they have the right to define under what terms it is used and under what terms it is bought, sold, and given away.

Only they have that right to make that definition. It is not for anyone else to try to define that product.

CT

But they way they define their product, and the way they practice their definition contradict each other and therefore its product definition means nothing

If Reaper was "not free" as they state, they would require their customers to buy or uninstall it after its "evaluation period." Since they don't, it is defined as donationware:

"Donationware (or nagware) is a licensing model that supplies fully operational software to the user and pleads for an optional donation be paid to the programmer or a third-party beneficiary (usually a non-profit). The amount of the donation may also be stipulated by the author, or it may be left to the discretion of the user, based on individual perceptions of the software's value. Since donationware comes fully operational (i.e. not crippleware) when payment is optional, it is a type of freeware."

Sound familiar?

This defines the Cockos business model exactly. They may say that it is not free, but their business model is the exact same thing as donationware. Actually, the way they make it out to be saying that you're "required" to buy it after your evaluation period, is more of a guiltware
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Oct 8, 2011,
If Reaper was "not free" as they state, they would require their customers to buy or uninstall it after its "evaluation period." Since they don't, it is defined as donationware:

Sound familiar?

This defines the Cockos business model exactly. They may say that it is not free, but their business model is the exact same thing as donationware. Actually, the way they make it out to be saying that you're "required" to buy it after your evaluation period, is more of a guiltware

No. Reaper isn't that. The payment isn't optional, it's just that they don't enforce the payment you should make.

Donation ware would be a free flash game say, you download it for free, and donate if you like it. There's no obligation to donate, so you don't have to.

Reaper requires you to pay. They don't enforce it, but it seems on their website they don't want to cripple people with software that ends. Probably because they're good people, and want to give the user a fair deal.

In my eyes, if you don't pay for it, you're breaking the law. It's the same as not paying for any other good/service.

OT (Finally): Start reading stuff like this, and understand what the interfaces do, inputs outputs etc. Then you can look around for yourself and see what you require. Recording professionaly is very expensive, don't don't expect amazing results, but with good planning you'll get good results.
Quote by DeadlySurfer
No. Reaper isn't that. The payment isn't optional, it's just that they don't enforce the payment you should make.

Donation ware would be a free flash game say, you download it for free, and donate if you like it. There's no obligation to donate, so you don't have to.

Reaper requires you to pay. They don't enforce it, but it seems on their website they don't want to cripple people with software that ends. Probably because they're good people, and want to give the user a fair deal.

There is also no obligation to pay for Reaper, and though it says that it's "Not Free," they do not require you to pay.

We could go on and on about this, and it's clear that you're never going to change my opinion, nor am I going to change yours, so let's just leave it at that. Reaper does not enforce anything if you don't pay for their product, therefore, even if it's technically "illegal" according to their terms of service, the way they have their business model sets up doesn't give them much power in persecuting anyone, so in my eyes, and anyone who thinks about this practically - Reaper is free. The payment for the product is entirely based on moral grounds and not legal grounds.

Quote by JFisJC
I did end up getting this and Reaper. I'm having trouble with it. When I go into reaper to record, nothing. I've gone into preferences and changed everything to what it should be. Kind of lost right now

When you go to Audio Devices in the Reaper Preferences, you've set it to the ASIO for the Behringer interface? So, is it a problem of, when you hit record, it doesn't record anything? Or you just can't hear any playback during, and after you've recorded?

You will have to monitor out of the headphone jack to hear any sound.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Oct 20, 2011,
Quote by MatrixClaw
When you go to Audio Devices in the Reaper Preferences, you've set it to the ASIO for the Behringer interface?
Yes
Quote by MatrixClaw
So, is it a problem of, when you hit record, it doesn't record anything? Or you just can't hear any playback during, and after you've recorded?
That. I don't have a problem with my mic though.

I've also tried this with Audacity just to make sure it wasn't Reaper. It gave me an error saying to check the input device settings and project sample rate.

This is what I have.
Attachments:
reaper.png
Last edited by JFisJC at Oct 20, 2011,
Quote by MatrixClaw
There is also no obligation to pay for Reaper, and though it says that it's "Not Free," they do not require you to pay.

Reaper does not enforce anything if you don't pay for their product, therefore, even if it's technically "illegal" according to their terms of service, the way they have their business model sets up doesn't give them much power in persecuting anyone, so in my eyes, and anyone who thinks about this practically - Reaper is free. The payment for the product is entirely based on moral grounds and not legal grounds.

So let me get this straight.

Based on the same logic, the following would also be true:

Someone leaves a bicycle on their lawn with a sign that says, "bicycle - $50. Please leave money in the mailbox. Thank you."

There is no obligation to pay for the bicycle, and though it says that it's "not free" they do not *require* you to pay.

The homeowner does not enforce anything if you don't pay for the bicycle, therefore, even if it's technically "illegal" according to what they have requested, the way they have their sales model set up doesn't give them much power in persecuting anyone, so in my eyes, and anyone who thinks about this practically - the bicycle is *free.* They payment for the bike is entirely based on moral grounds and not legal grounds.

Am I correct about this being your line of thinking?

What are you telling us about yourself?

CT

Reaper's tageline is "REAPER | Audio Production Without Limits" so much so they are to nice to ask you to buy it

Lets be honest, its a logistics/marketing scheme the whole not enforcing you to pay. The truth is there are two types of people...the people who are going to buy it...and the people are going to use cracks it...the company made themselvs look better by saying hey we know only a certain percentage is going to pay for it anyway so we will portray that we don't care. Chances are most people are still going to buy it they support and normally buy software. I have donated to a couple of VST/VSTi developers because of their great products, myself. There is also some intelligence in not trying to fight off cracking, since you can't beat piracy, unless the company spends tons of money on it and that is even temporary. It's a lot easier to stop piracy that involves hardware compared to software.

With that said Reaper is very fair priced. If I didn't have a lifetime licences (yes I did pay for it) to a different DAW I would probably pay my $60 and use Reaper.
Quote by JFisJC
Yes
That. I don't have a problem with my mic though.

I've also tried this with Audacity just to make sure it wasn't Reaper. It gave me an error saying to check the input device settings and project sample rate.

This is what I have.

You have no inputs selected.

Under the "Enable inputs" checkbox, you need to select a first and last input, otherwise it doesn't know what to record from.

Quote by axemanchris
So let me get this straight.

Based on the same logic, the following would also be true:

Someone leaves a bicycle on their lawn with a sign that says, "bicycle - $50. Please leave money in the mailbox. Thank you."

There is no obligation to pay for the bicycle, and though it says that it's "not free" they do not *require* you to pay.

The homeowner does not enforce anything if you don't pay for the bicycle, therefore, even if it's technically "illegal" according to what they have requested, the way they have their sales model set up doesn't give them much power in persecuting anyone, so in my eyes, and anyone who thinks about this practically - the bicycle is *free.* They payment for the bike is entirely based on moral grounds and not legal grounds.

Am I correct about this being your line of thinking?

What are you telling us about yourself?

CT

Yes, that is exactly what is happening. Anyone who would do that is just opening themselves up to others taking advantage of them. I never said that it was right in doing so, but if there's no penalty, then there's no obligation. In the case of your story, there is a penalty - If the homeowner happened to find their bike outside of someone else's house, they could call the cops and take legal action, but since Cockos has no interest in doing so, your example does not apply.

Like I have said before, I own my own license for Reaper, because I felt like I used the program so much that I'd like to invest in further improvements, by giving them capital to do so. I did the "moral" thing by doing this, but that doesn't mean that other people will. I have never said that I personally don't think people should pay for it, but I also don't feel that you should have to if the company doesn't force you to. It's up to the person using it as to whether they would like to spend the money or not.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
You have no inputs selected.

Under the "Enable inputs" checkbox, you need to select a first and last input, otherwise it doesn't know what to record from.

There is nothing to select for the first and last inputs.
Again with this REAPER license crap!

If someone leaves their door open when they go out, that doesn't make it any less illegal to wander in and help yourself to their stuff....

Support the devs if you use it a lot, especially since they're taking such a sensible stance on DRM (aka: the cancer that's killing computing).