Hi,
I'm trying to do some finger tapping, but the other strings viberate even when I'm not hitting them.

I think it's because I'm tapping too hard. I tried palm muting the other strings but that seems like something you shouldn't do (like ancoring your pinky)
As far as I know palm muting while tapping is the only way to mute the other strings. Never caused me any problems, but, I never tap much anyways.

Remember, you only need to tap hard enough to hit the note, which isn't very hard.
definitely mute the other strings, but don't just do it with your right hand, sometimes it's better to use your left hand.
Some people say you need to learn how to palm mute the other strings while your tapping, to encourage proper technique or whatever.

However, I have found that some artists eliminate this problem by fashioning a hair band or a shoe lace around the top of the neck, right below the nut of the first fret. If you can tie a shoelace or find a small hair band that wraps around the top of the fret, and isnt to tight - it will eliminate this problem.

An example is this: The guy in this video uses this method.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22UA0g_00X8
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
While I agree that the hair band is a fool-proof way to eliminate unwanted string noise, it doesn't help you improve your muting technique (in other words, it covers your mistakes instead of you learning how to fix them yourself). Then again, that could be my pride talking. :-P
Definitely mute the strings you're not playing with your right hand. A hair band works, but it will also mute open strings even when you want to play them.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Quote by Flibo
Definitely mute the strings you're not playing with your right hand. A hair band works, but it will also mute open strings even when you want to play them.

The muting of the open strings in rather minimal, it the sound is not equivalent to a palm mute, the strings still ring out open and do not sound dull, but they are slightly dampened.

There is still however a fine distinction between palm muting and regular playing even when the hairband is installed. Some people like it, some people don't, but it is a rather easy solution.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410