Poll: Fightin
Poll Options
View poll results: Fightin
Allowed
38 57%
Banned
16 24%
Im a puss-yo who only enjoys sports without fighting so i have no say (nba-hah lockout)
0 0%
whats a sport?
13 19%
Voters: 67.
Page 1 of 2
Do you think it should be allowed? or banned?

Q is up because of recent Don Cherry comment and backlash it has caused with supporters and people against what he has said regarding nhl fighting

edit/ this isnt about fighting sports such as boxing, this is about fighting within sports such as hockey
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Last edited by JimmyBanks6 at Oct 8, 2011,
It's not a sport if there's no fighting involved...
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
It's not a sport if there's no fighting involved...

Yes. Absolutely.
Dude, where's my band?
Nothing good comes from sports and fighting, especially boxing.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by CoreysMonster
are we talking about banning sports like boxing or MMA?

No as those sports are fighting.

Im talking about fighting in stuff such as the occasional baseball fight and hockey fights.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
People only put up with fighting in professional leagues so you'll never get to be a part of it.
'I can kick your ass' says more to me than 'I can dance around you and put this sphere in that goal.' Physicality and fighting are what make sports, if no one ever got hurt, the number of people playing and watching would be drastically less.
Quote by Avedas
People only put up with fighting in professional leagues so you'll never get to be a part of it.

Ive been in multiple fights in minor hockey......

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
I am kind of put off by people who want to acknowledge solo activities like running, cycling, swimming, as sports. That goes double for skateboarding, bmxing, etc. that are touted as "extreme" sports.

Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by JimmyBanks6
Ive been in multiple fights in minor hockey......

But it's frowned upon isn't it? Unlike in professional sports, I mean.
I never knew fighting was allowed in hockey.

I always just thought a bunch of aggro dudes happened to play it.
Quote by Avedas
But it's frowned upon isn't it? Unlike in professional sports, I mean.

No, not really.

[quote="'-[NiL"]-']I never knew fighting was allowed in hockey.

I always just thought a bunch of aggro dudes happened to play it.
Its allowed in the sense that you will get at minimal get a penalty, and possibly a misconduct

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by darkstar2466
I am kind of put off by people who want to acknowledge solo activities like running, cycling, swimming, as sports. That goes double for skateboarding, bmxing, etc. that are touted as "extreme" sports.

Why do sports have to be in teams? Isn't it just physical competition? What's your opinion of the more recent popularity of fighting sports?
Quote by JimmyBanks6
No, not really.

Still, seems pretty pointless to me. I don't understand losing your cool over a game.
Well, it's childish and unsportsman like to get upset with someone over a sport. Unless of course, you're trying to get the record for the most time spent in the penalty box. Then it's all worth it.
Quote by Avedas
Still, seems pretty pointless to me. I don't understand losing your cool over a game.

A won fight can change the momentum of the game, yes doesnt sound like anything, but if you had played you would understand what i mean

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by JimmyBanks6
A won fight can change the momentum of the game, yes doesnt sound like anything, but if you had played you would understand what i mean

I understand how the outcome can work, but I don't understand the mentality of instigating a fight.
Quote by JimmyBanks6

Its allowed in the sense that you will get at minimal get a penalty, and possibly a misconduct

I say keep it in then, no one's ever been killed in a hockey fight, right?

edit: Okay, Google tells me people have died, but fuck it.
Last edited by -[NiL]- at Oct 8, 2011,
banned, but its gonna happen
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
[quote="'-[NiL"]-']I say keep it in then, no one's ever been killed in a hockey fight, right?

edit: Okay, Google tells me people have died, but fuck it.
Yeah I had a look as well.

But look at this

Quote by Wiki
Jaxon Logan - Played for Brigham Young University men's ice hockey. Was hit by a puck which stopped his heart.
Fuck, man. That's unlucky :/
Quote by Don_Humpador

But look at this

Then there was that guy who had his throat slit by a skate (if I remember correctly), and pretty much bled out on the ice.
Quote by Avedas
Why do sports have to be in teams? Isn't it just physical competition? What's your opinion of the more recent popularity of fighting sports?

- Sports are an extension of humanity. There are many varieties of people and we all need to see the us vs. them (where we want us to win and them to lose, preferably with a couple of teeth knocked out because they're assholes) to reinforce our tribal instincts.

- It is physical competition, but it has more of a evolutionary survival of the fittest theme to it. Literally.

- I wouldn't necessarily put the recent MMA craze in the sports category, just as I wouldn't with boxing. It's more in the 'imma beat your ass cuz you're a pussy' category. Most mammalian species engage in one on one combat. Nothing special. It's a sport when it's a team.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Oct 8, 2011,
Quote by Don_Humpador

But look at this

Can't really avoid blatant accidents like that, though. They just happen, although it's very unfortunate. I don't think fighting should be forcefully removed from the game (hockey in particular because they happen so often and baseball fights are usually pretty funny) but I don't think the tradition of propagating them should really be encouraged either.

Also I approve of your avatar, Don.

Quote by darkstar2466
- Sports are an extension of humanity. There are many varieties of people and we all need to see the us vs. them (where we want us to win and them to lose, preferably with a couple of teeth knocked out because they're assholes) to reinforce our tribal instincts.

- It is physical competition, but it has more of a evolutionary survival of the fittest theme to it. Literally.

- I wouldn't necessarily put the recent MMA craze in the sports category, just as I wouldn't with boxing. It's more in the 'imma beat your ass cuz you're a pussy' category. Most mammalian species engage in one on one combat. Nothing special.

Hmm, I agree with all your points, actually. I really dislike the MMA fad going on recently, although I'm not really a huge sports fan in the first place. I always hear kids saying stuff like "yeah, I'm taking MMA" and they don't know a single form of martial arts. They just take a few kickboxing classes or something.
Last edited by Avedas at Oct 8, 2011,
^
[quote="'-[NiL"]-']Then there was that guy who had his throat slit by a skate (if I remember correctly), and pretty much bled out on the ice.
Ouch.

I actually read that as 'snake' first time... like wtf is a snake doing on an ice rink
[quote="'-[NiL"]-']Then there was that guy who had his throat slit by a skate (if I remember correctly), and pretty much bled out on the ice.

That's one of the first things I thought of as well.
I understand that allowing fighting in hockey lends to an intimidation factor and polices cheap shots in a very physical game but I'd prefer to have officials police extraneous activity (ex: scrums after the whistle) much more strictly and hand out suspensions to instigators. I don't know if we can completely eliminate fighting from hockey but I think we can do quite a bit to curb it.
Quote by darkstar2466

Nothing special. It's a sport when it's a team.

Gymnastics, swimming, track, even tennis aren't sports?
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by Skullivan
Well, it's childish and unsportsman like to get upset with someone over a sport. Unless of course, you're trying to get the record for the most time spent in the penalty box. Then it's all worth it.

No way man. I've seen people get upset over video games. Over STUPID shit. Sometimes people just lose their cool. It's not like you get to decide how much you can take. Popping the dude that's pissing you off is a great way of getting it out. As long as you dont like... kill him.... then so what?
My sig? Nice.
Oh S^&*!!!!! Now even some guitar players find fighting offensive. I'm going to kill someone. This isn't right. This must end. If fighting stops, then I will have nothing to live for!!!!!! Great... Now I'm crazy! No!!! Wait, I'm not the crazy one, your the crazy ones. Yeah, you. You little freaks that don't want fighting anymore. Get a grip. The world will suck if they take away fighting in sports. Your'e all a bunch of brain-washed, Disney Channel fans. Do you realize what you have started Jimmy Banks????!!!??!?!?!?!!?!?!??!!?!

But seriously. Why would you want fighting to stop? I can't believe you would even suggest that. If the Hansen brothers heard you say that, they would kick your little ass where you stood. Sorry if I scared you...
Colorado Avalanche
Quote by BurningTurkey
No way man. I've seen people get upset over video games. Over STUPID shit. Sometimes people just lose their cool. It's not like you get to decide how much you can take. Popping the dude that's pissing you off is a great way of getting it out. As long as you dont like... kill him.... then so what?

That's not really a good way of handling a situation, no. Not everyone is inherently violent.

Quote by MtnMusicMan7
Oh S^&*!!!!! Now even some guitar players find fighting offensive. I'm going to kill someone. This isn't right. This must end. If fighting stops, then I will have nothing to live for!!!!!! Great... Now I'm crazy! No!!! Wait, I'm not the crazy one, your the crazy ones. Yeah, you. You little freaks that don't want fighting anymore. Get a grip. The world will suck if they take away fighting in sports. Your'e all a bunch of brain-washed, Disney Channel fans. Do you realize what you have started Jimmy Banks????!!!??!?!?!?!!?!?!??!!?!

But seriously. Why would you want fighting to stop? I can't believe you would even suggest that. If the Hansen brothers heard you say that, they would kick your little ass where you stood. Sorry if I scared you...

Really?
Quote by Momentosis
Gymnastics, swimming, track, even tennis aren't sports?

This. and if you Don't like skateboarding and Extreme sports to be called "Extreme sports" Then come up with a new title for them. "Extreme Sports" Is just a way to describe them. When I use the term, you know exactly what I'm talking about, so it's suitable.
My sig? Nice.
For some strange reason, this thread reminds me of some weird Seinfeld episode.
Colorado Avalanche
If the sport allow it, why the hell not? Athletes in the sports aren't god damn kids you need to protect, they know what they're getting into and they probably like it. Stop getting your panties in a bunch over nothing.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Sport involves a ball (size 5) 22 players, and yes violence is permited but not in the eye's of the law. it's called football or soccer in non footballing countries, anything else is a pastime, this includes all drug pastimes such as, running and jumping, cycling, boxing,mma, and of course golf, violence is mandatory in ice hockey, non ice hockey is played by girls of both sexe's
Quote by JAMBOIAN
Sport involves a ball (size 5) 22 players, and yes violence is permited but not in the eye's of the law. it's called football or soccer in non footballing countries, anything else is a pastime, this includes all drug pastimes such as, running and jumping, cycling, boxing,mma, and of course golf, violence is mandatory in ice hockey, non ice hockey is played by girls of both sexe's

You're being rather specific for defending something that uses such an arbitrary value as "size 5" as a standard for itself.
Quote by Don_Humpador
Physicality? Yes.

Fighting? No.

This.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Quote by sglover34479
'I can kick your ass' says more to me than 'I can dance around you and put this sphere in that goal.' Physicality and fighting are what make sports, if no one ever got hurt, the number of people playing and watching would be drastically less.

What a load of macho bullshit. If I want to see people fight, I'll watch boxing.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Page 1 of 2