Hey guys,

I'm thinking of purchasing a guitar (first time buyer) and I think I've narrowed down my search to either a Squier or a Fender. I'm a beat maker/producer looking to play Soul/Neo-Soul/R&B with the guitar.

I read a few days ago that the Squier and Fender are made by the same company, with the Fender being the more "premium" option. Have any of you had experience playing any of these or both of them to know if there's a noticeable difference in sound? I read that the Squier is made out of cheaper materials, but would that affect the sound the electric guitar produces at all (seeing as it's not acoustic I'm thinking the body of the guitar would have less effect on the sound, so the quality of the pickups must be the main factor)?

Ultimately, I'm just looking to find out if many people say there's a noticeable difference in the sound between these two guitars to justify me spending nearly double on the Fender? Being an aspiring producer, the end sound is all I really care about, so stuff about how it looks and other factors unrelated to the final sound isn't a factor in my decision. I already feel that my beats sound professional, so if I was playing live guitar on my production I wouldn't want the sound of the guitar to bring that down.

Thanks in advance for any advice and shared experiences.
Well, in affecting the sound of a guitar you have this:

How it is played (pick, technique, etc.)
Strings used
Weight and type of wood used in body and neck
Pickups

I played a Squier Bullet from a pawn shop before and thought it sounded fine. As long as there are no dead or buzzing frets, and the nut is in good shape, and you can intonate/setup the guitar, you should be fine. The biggest thing you could really do to affect the sound of the guitar itself beyond those things is changing the pickups for higher quality, though honestly, you may not need to.

I would buy a Squier without hesitation if it had the features I wanted and it was in good shape.
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Depends on what you're looking at really.
Squier classic vibes are cool and are on par with the mexican made fenders or better depending on who you ask. In my opinion it depends on the neck you prefer. The CV necks are pretty thin by fender standards.
Fender americans are expensive but you get what you pay for.
Then theres the oddballs you get when you go used as well like Made in japan squiers which are generally REALLY high quality.
Well, most fenders are better than most squiers... though that does come with a price increase, somewhat. The overlap area is the Fender Standard series and the Squier Classic Vibe series. They're fairly similar in quality, some Fenders are better than the Squiers and some of the Squiers are better than the Fenders. The pickups on the Squier are better to a point, but the ones on the Fender Standards aren't bad either.

What kind of price range are you looking at?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
There are inherit differences between the two, because of the cost. I have a Squier Bullet Strat (the cheapest Squier Strat) and the feel of the guitar is as good as a Made in Mexico Fender Strat (from 2007 I think) that my friend had. However the pickups in that where definitely better, although I do love the sound of my Squier. There's a lot of options with Squiers and Fenders, so I'd look around into what you want. Fender seems to be making more and more guitars for the budget range, such as the Blacktop Series or Modern Player Series.
Squier Classic Vibe = cheap and good
Quote by Mauri_wario
I would indeed "fap that thaing", but my dog is looking at me and it feels highly iinappropriate.
I hate the squier bullet series, I had one as my first guitar and straight up hated the sound. Right now one of my guitars is a squier "Vintage Modified" series Telecaster Custom II and it's sound is great, I love it. I'm not sure where it compares to the Classic Vibe in price because I think the VM is a precursor to the CV but you can check that out
Last edited by Necronomicon at Oct 8, 2011,
Thanks for such quick responses guys! This is my new favourite forum lol

Quote by oneblackened

What kind of price range are you looking at?

Around £200-£500 which I think is about $300-$700.
I have the squire affinity strat and if you set it up properly, it sounds and plays very nicely.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
With that kind of range I would go for one of the Fender blacktop guitars.
Generally higher quality then the VM Squiers and just kick ass looking.

Yes I know this is a US site, but you can check the specs
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/search/search.jsp?fA=a&fI=2002&fV=site1A&question=blacktop

Also try to find a Highway 1 used. Made in the USA and pretty inexpensive.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Quote by StickmanP

Yeah man with that kind of money I wouldn't hesitate to look at Fender MIM, whether Blacktop series or other. Sure, sometimes you'll get a Squier that is ridiculously high quality for being a Squier, and every so often even the American made Fenders might have issues or poor quality, but they are priced in different tiers for a reason.

If anything, the uneducated masses will see 'Fender' on the headstock and think more highly of you.

With that said, depending on the style you want to use it for, the Classic Vibe Squiers have had a very good reception, and I have to say, I was pleased to play one in a local music store.
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Last edited by muso_catolico at Oct 8, 2011,
As said above: go for a good squier!
As long as you dont expect a high end guitar youll get the best value for your money.
i owned a fender american vintage 62 strat (f***ing expensive!!!) for about one year but thats nothing you need to spend your money for as a beginner. you will hear a difference when you listen close but the squier sounds good.
another hint: spend the money you save by buying a squier in a good amp(blackstar ht5r for example, perfect for recording). this will make you sound waaaaaaaaay better than buying a fender instead of a squier. and this sound-difference will be obvious.
Why not try for a used american strat? You get what you pay for and as long as the american strat is not damaged/poorly made in any way, it should be better than everything everyone else mentioned.

But it will run from 650-800 in the US, not sure about the prices in Europe.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
if you are worried about tone,
make sure you spend almost as much on your amp.

and get the right amp for you.

ask about amps too.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565

ask about amps too.

Listen to this nice "lady "

Your amp will make a bigger impact on your sound.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by StickmanP

Alright so if I look at dv247 (I'm American, but I know some British sites), I'd consider this: http://www.dv247.com/guitars/fender-classic-player-50s-stratocaster-electric-guitar-black--85768. I know it's a little outta budget but these are REALLY nice guitars.

And yeah, PLEASE remember to get a decent amp with the guitar.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by StickmanP
I read that the Squier is made out of cheaper materials, but would that affect the sound the electric guitar produces at all (seeing as it's not acoustic I'm thinking the body of the guitar would have less effect on the sound, so the quality of the pickups must be the main factor)?
Your thinking is incorrect, put simply. The sound of an electric guitar is effected greatly by the wood, construction, scale length, nut material, bridge style, bridge material, everything. Some people will argue that even the type of paint used can effect the sound. Certainly the thickness of the paint can.

For most purposes the more expensive Squier models do have good enough bodies. The Classic Vibe range and a couple of the Vintage Modified range. The alder, ash, mahogany and pine used in the CVs and some of the VMs is basically the same as the bodies the lower end of the Fenders have. The Squier bodies do tend to be made of between 5 and as much as 11 pieces of wood glued together though. While the core tone can be okay, don't expect long sustain or a complex resonance. Squiers are made to be affordable and practical, not tone machines.

When you buy a standard Mexican-made Fender you're basically getting very, very slightly better woods, better hardware and slightly better build quality. When you buy the Mexican-made Deluxe, Classic or Classic Player lines what you're getting is the same woods and build quality but with much better hardware and electronics.

When you buy an American Fender you're going up again in quality in every regard but if you're looking at Squiers then I doubt you're going to want to cough up the dough for an American Fender.

So a Squier will do what you want, if you buy one of the better ones. They're ultimately limited, you get what you pay for, but it will basically do the job. The Mexican Fenders will do the same job, perhaps slightly better, but have the potential to be a LOT better if you put some money into upgrades or buy one of the better Mexican models right away.
Quote by JKHC
Listen to this nice "lady "

Your amp will make a bigger impact on your sound.

TS also, if you do decide to get a squire make sure you play the one you buy.
quality can vary guitar to guitar.

check the frets, make sure the guitar can be set up correctly.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565

ask about amps too

this just can't be stressed enough.

the amp is every bit as important as the guitar and in a lot of cases, moreso. (leave that comment alone guys/gals, no derailing this guys thread arguing semantics)
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Dont bother with amps unless you record/produce live, but Im guessing you'll go straight into the desk and then add the amp(s) on afterward and blend a good sound of that.
Squires feel generally worse to play, and the pickups aren't of anything noteworthy.
With your budget I'd recommend a good Made In Mexico Strat, or a second hand American standard. They sound and feel great, and you know it will last.
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
Quote by W4T3V3R
Dont bother with amps unless you record/produce live, but Im guessing you'll go straight into the desk and then add the amp(s) on afterward and blend a good sound of that.
Squires feel generally worse to play, and the pickups aren't of anything noteworthy.
With your budget I'd recommend a good Made In Mexico Strat, or a second hand American standard. They sound and feel great, and you know it will last.

true. i missed that he might only use this in studio, and might have something
set up for a line in on his guitar.

so amp, and mic and/or a good production program is what you need to ask about,

if you are after the best tone and not just playability.

Quote by gregs1020
this just can't be stressed enough.

the amp is every bit as important as the guitar and in a lot of cases, moreso. (leave that comment alone guys/gals, no derailing this guys thread arguing semantics)

choo chooo!!!
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

^ holy crap no kidding.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Oct 9, 2011,
if you can get up to £500, MIJ tokais would start to be within range, too... I'd take an MIJ tokai over pretty much anything below the fender vintage reissues (assuming you want a vintage spec fender-style guitar). And if nitro isn't important, i'd pretty much take an MIJ tokai over anything short of fender's custom shop.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by gregs1020
^ holy crap no kidding.

what a crock of shit post that is. it's wrong all over the board.

TS - ignore this please. sorry for the derailment into stupidity.

Lol. This guy blatantly didnt read that you're a producer not a performer.
And you'd know what about producing?
I know for a fact most producers today will only add amp modules after recording the guitar track.

MIM strats are better to play than their counterpart squire.
I've gigged my MIM strat so many times and its never needed a replacement part or setup adjustment.

If the guy was asking for how to improve his live sound, then yes his amp is the number 1 thing to think about, or alternatively if he recorded using amp setups then again his amp is important. But he stated he's about producing, in which case refer to my earlier point.
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
Last edited by W4T3V3R at Oct 9, 2011,
Quote by W4T3V3R
Lol.
I know for a fact most producers today will only add amp modules after recording the guitar track.

I've gigged my MIM strat so many times and its never needed a replacement part or setup adjustment.

Ignore douche's like this. This guy blatantly didnt read that you're a producer not a performer.

you had me and lost me.
you're coming across as single minded.

he really made it sound like he wanted a guitar for live production.
sounds like there's going to be an amp in there somewhere.

and are you really going to tell me that you never adjusted your guitar,
and you gig it regularly?
you're sounding really extreme here.

edit: ok nevermind i see your edit now. i post slow...
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by W4T3V3R
Lol. This guy blatantly didnt read that you're a producer not a performer.

If the guy was asking for how to improve his live sound, then yes his amp is the number 1 thing to think about, or alternatively if he recorded using amp setups then again his amp is important. But he stated he's about producing, in which case refer to my earlier point.

ya whatever. i reflected on it and thought i came off a bit too strong, it's your opinion and you are entitled to it.

i'd still get an amp, ymmv.

having a guitar with no amp whatsoever is just wrong, call me old fashioned.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Oct 9, 2011,
Quote by gregs1020
ya whatever. i reflected on it and thought i came off a bit too strong, it's your opinion and you are entitled to it.

oh man, come on, you're not old.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Thanks for all your responses guys, I have a lot of research to do now! Much appreciated.

In terms of amps, I think I'm sorted with software plugins. IK's Amplitube 3, Amplitube Fender and Guitar Rig should satisfy my needs for awhile. I've used them with guitar VST plugins (RealStrat mainly) and they sound pretty good, but the majority of the time you can tell the guitar isn't being played live and it sounds a little mechanical, despite how good the software amps are. Just need a decent audio interface to go along with my guitar and I should be set...

Thanks again - really helpful.
best option would be squier classic vibe. cheaply made in asia, good build quality, looks good, decent pickups.

i have a squier deluxe with duncan designed hot rails. amazing guitar. it never goes out of tune, never had fretbuzz, comfortable, and through a good amp the pickups sound really good.

a mim fender, the pickups arent gonna sound that good in my opinion, and youre gonna have to pay more.

for a godly guitar: squier classic vibe+new pickups=amazingness
Quote by jj1565
oh man, come on, you're not old.

my preferences are.
Quote by gregs1020

I'd have to agree with gregs on this. Unless your computer or w/e is on all the time it would be a pain to plug in and switch on, boot up software, etc. anytime you want to play something.

Don't worry gregs.....I'm probably younger than 90% of the people on UG and I see your reasoning

So, basically you get what you pay for. According to the posts, the MIM might no be much better than the CVs but they still are. The 50s MIMs are better than standards and the US strats are pwnage. I still think you should search around for a used MIA........
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by StickmanP
Thanks for all your responses guys, I have a lot of research to do now! Much appreciated.

In terms of amps, I think I'm sorted with software plugins. IK's Amplitube 3, Amplitube Fender and Guitar Rig should satisfy my needs for awhile. I've used them with guitar VST plugins (RealStrat mainly) and they sound pretty good, but the majority of the time you can tell the guitar isn't being played live and it sounds a little mechanical, despite how good the software amps are. Just need a decent audio interface to go along with my guitar and I should be set...

Thanks again - really helpful.

I'd still get an amp...

$300-700 honestly isn't a lot to play with if you're looking to buy a guitar and an amp, but I'm not sure you'll be satisfied with running your guitar through your computer.

By the way, how is it that you're confident enough to set up and use amp modelling software, yet you don't even own a guitar? Have you been DJing or playing keyboar or something like that? I've been playing guitar for something like 6 years now and last time I plugged my guitar into my computer somebody warned me I was going to blow up my sound card and I haven't tried it since.
Quote by Butt Rayge
I was going to blow up my sound card and I haven't tried it since.

I, and others, do it all time. How else would you use the amp models on garageband or other software?????? It doesn't sound nearly as good as a tube amp (or a modeler for that matter) but it is convenient if you want to record without a mic.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
If you just care about sound the best way to go is a Squier CV or VM. They sound better than most Fenders.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
It mostly matters on how you play the guitar. Many people are prejudiced over cheap Squiers. But overall, after I have tested out both the Squier and Fender guitars, I thought that they both were really great. They both had pretty decent quality control. Before I bought the Fender Jaguar HH, I tested out a Fender Blacktop Telecaster, and then I compared it with the Squier Junior Telecaster, and the Squier Telecaster was much better than the Fender Blacktop Telecaster.
I personally think that it matters in a person's skill on how people play the guitar. Any kind of guitar has a potential to sound very nice. I just hope that people will stop being so sassy about Squier guitars being bad.
I have one of the cheapest Squier models and the pickups and tuning stability are the big letdowns for me (the jack plate also came loose, but after a hell of a lot of use and abuse), but that is what happens when you buy $100-150 guitars. The guitar otherwise feels good, but if you want anything approaching a quality guitar sound, you gotta go with the MIM Strat. The Highway One is very good. The Blacktop's sound may be an acquired taste for some. The Classic Player series is also good.