56 57%
Project
4 4%
Sometimes one, sometimes the other
24 24%
Joke option
15 15%
Voters: 99.
Group, but I picked the joke option because.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
It depends. Sometimes one, sometimes the other I guess. More often a group of individuals I think.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Group usually
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by beadhangingOne
Only if the band name is plural.

Pink Floyd is amazing.

The Beatles are awesome.

Good point. But i'd still say Pink Floyd are amazing, just because when I think of a band I think of a group of people and the word 'are' comes to mind.
You can't call Nine Inch Nails a group, just as it would be inappropriate to call The Beatles a project.
I don't have a signature
depends sorta...

i'd say "metallica kicks ass"(group) as opposed to "metallica kick ass"(individuals)

but i'd say "metallica are good"(individuals) as opposed to "metallica is good"(group)
Quote by beadhangingOne

Pink Floyd is amazing.

The Beatles are awesome.

This.

But you can use either/or, even if "The Beatles is good" sounds retarded.
It varies. For example:
>insertbandname< is a great band!
>insertbandname<? They're great!
This isn't a grammar question, there was already a thread like this months ago about plural and singular stuff. TS is asking how do YOU see bands, many individuals making a good sound together, or one person/entity making a good sound.
Quote by Skullivan
This isn't a grammar question, there was already a thread like this months ago about plural and singular stuff. TS is asking how do YOU see bands, many individuals making a good sound together, or one person/entity making a good sound.

I probably worded it wrong, it was a question on grammar lol.
I really don't know what your statements in parenthesis are supposed to mean. Joke option it is.

Quote by izbbass
Group, but I picked the joke option because.

This guy joke.
Check out my punk band!!! Lizard on the Window We found a drummer and are now recording.

White Version FC: 4083 9268 4644
White 2 FC: 5372 8215 3622
3DS FC: 1676 4085 1677
Quote by beadhangingOne

Pink Floyd is amazing.

The Beatles are awesome.

Oh yea, I do this.

Quote by blizzboy
This guy joke.

You!

Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Last edited by izbbass at Oct 8, 2011,
Ah, they were examples. I didn't realize you meant the tense, haha. But yes, depends on the name.

Quote by izbbass
You!

Me!
Check out my punk band!!! Lizard on the Window We found a drummer and are now recording.

White Version FC: 4083 9268 4644
White 2 FC: 5372 8215 3622
3DS FC: 1676 4085 1677
Last edited by blizzboy at Oct 8, 2011,
Pretty sure this is a Europeean vs. American thing. Americans say "Led Zeppelin is" whereas Europpeans say "Led Zeppelin are"

Everyone refers to plural band names as such though ("The Beatles are")
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Quote by beadhangingOne

Pink Floyd is amazing.

The Beatles are awesome.

I do this.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Plural. I'm referring to multiple people.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
"Protest The Hero are mind-blowing."
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Quote by beadhangingOne

Pink Floyd is amazing.

The Beatles are awesome.

Let's just say you were going to use a pronoun rather than the name. Would you say "they are amazing" or "it is awesome"?

I usually refer to is as a group. I tend to say they more than it/he/she/etc.
I will dispel this argument once and for all. Think back to Physics class for this one. Wave-particle duality of light shows us that light is simultaneously a continuous wave and distinct quanta of energy. Extending the analogy, I propose the group-project duality of music.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
I will dispel this argument once and for all. Think back to Physics class for this one. Wave-particle duality of light shows us that light is simultaneously a continuous wave and distinct quanta of energy. Extending the analogy, I propose the group-project duality of music.

Do we say... they's? They is?

Grammar, where art thou.
Quote by darkstar2466

So we should base our style of band reference depending on how we observe it?

That's already what's happening...
Quote by iantheman
Pretty sure this is a Europeean vs. American thing. Americans say "Led Zeppelin is" whereas Europpeans say "Led Zeppelin are"

I'm European (I prefer Dutch) and I definitely say 'Led Zeppelin is', 'Metallica is', etc. in both English and Dutch (my two native languages).
Gear:

Guitars:
LTD Viper 100FM
Ibanez RG320PG P2 (For sale*)
Ibanez RGA32 (w/ IronGear pups)
Epiphone Pro-1

Amps:
Vox VT15
or
Vox Tonelab EX
- through -
Peavey KB-300

* = PM me for more details

Quote by Willowthewitch

The actual correct answer
i remember there was a thread on this a while back, and the answer that i found is that bands use as "is" or "are" based on where they are from. whatever is correct in the band's country of origin is what is used. so for British bands you would say the Beatles are this or Pink Floyd are that, and for American bands you would say Megadeth is this or Nirvana is that, and you'd even say that about bands with a plural name, such as the Foo Fighters. it seems that Canadian and Australian bands also usually use is. though i'm not sure about countries where English is not the main language.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
i remember there was a thread on this a while back, and the answer that i found is that bands use as "is" or "are" based on where they are from. whatever is correct in the band's country of origin is what is used. so for British bands you would say the Beatles are this or Pink Floyd are that, and for American bands you would say Megadeth is this or Nirvana is that, and you'd even say that about bands with a plural name, such as the Foo Fighters. it seems that Canadian and Australian bands also usually use is. though i'm not sure about countries where English is not the main language.

So wait, are you saying the Foo Fighters is awesome or are awesome?
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Do we say... they's? They is?

Grammar, where art thou.

I think the English language needs the "they's" contraction at point, don't you agree? When we've already added the likes of meh, lol, and ♥ to the dictionary, it only makes sense to broaden our contraction and acronym list.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
I think the English language needs the "they's" contraction at point, don't you agree? When we've already added the likes of meh, lol, and ♥ to the dictionary, it only makes sense to broaden our contraction and acronym list.

"They's be triflin' at the libary."

EDIT: I feel like a dick now

But I made myself laugh, so I'm good
Mostly a group.

Unless I'm talking about The Residents
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
So wait, are you saying the Foo Fighters is awesome or are awesome?

apparently you would say "The Foo Fighters is awesome." i guess.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I used to think this way:
"Pain of Salvation is an awesome band."
"The members of Porcupine Tree are quite skilled."

But now I just use "are" either way, because that's appearantly the standard in the UK, where I'm intending to study.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Quote by Afroboy267
Does that mean you say "The Residents is good"?

I thought the question was about whether I/you view the band as a collective (project) or as individual people (group).

I think saying 'The Residents is good' just triggers the grammar nazi in me (not that I am)
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
Last edited by Crazyedd123 at Oct 8, 2011,