Hey guys,

I'm trying to sell my ESP Eclipse because I rarely use it, but in order to make it a bit more "marketable" I feel the need to cover the pickups.

Here's why:

As you can see, the guitar has some fluorescent pickups. I've discovered that most people are not so enamored with those colors, so I am doing some small modifications in the hopes of selling the guitar a bit more quickly.

The pickups are Dimarzio Tone Zones, and I have already purchased black Dimarzio pickup covers (which can be found here. I am planning on installing covers over both of the pickups, but I have a question regarding the installation process. Should I wax the pots, use a synthetic glue, or simply snap them into place? I've also seen soldering done to keep them in place. Is that something I should look into as well? Here's an image (linked for size) of the pickups:

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/4864/img4167l.jpg

The second issue involves the volume knots. They're also a fluorescent color, and I am trying to change those to black as well. I've switched out knobs on the split, Gibson-style volume controls before, but I've never switched them out on an ESP. Can anyone tell me the proper size for the volume knobs on my guitar? I have been browsing this website, but the myriad of choices has left me confused. Here's a picture (linked because they're huge) to help possibly solve the problem:

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/6451/img4168o.jpg

The last issue is that of dating the guitar. I'm the second owner, so I am not sure when this guitar was created. The serial number on the bolt plate is 22475. I have contacted ESP in the past, but they have been pretty unhelpful. I was hoping some of the fine people on UG might have more knowledge of ESP build dates than Google (which hasn't turned up much either).

Here are some more pictures of the guitar in case it helps:

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/3861/img4164r.jpg

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/8922/img4115ng.jpg

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/4391/img4117n.jpg

Thanks for any and all help guys. As a preemptive gift for future help, here is a picture of my dog.

Cheers!
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Those pups are gorgeous! Shame I'm skint and on the other side of the world or I'd offer to buy it as is.

The knobs should be simple enough, either pull off or have a small screw in the side
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
I never knew that ESP Eclipse ever came in a bolt on. Did you buy it in the US or over seas?

Definately unique color scheme, and the covers and knobs will definately help you move it quicker.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I never knew that ESP Eclipse ever came in a bolt on. Did you buy it in the US or over seas?

Definately unique color scheme, and the covers and knobs will definately help you move it quicker.

I agree that changing the color scheme will allow me to sell it more quickly. I've seen other bolt-on Eclipses, but they're usually older models. If i had to guess, I'd say they were made right after ESP was sued for copyright infringement of Gibson's Les Paul but before they created the Eclipse II.

I bought it from a random dude on Ebay in the U.S. Not sure if that helps.

Quote by n1ckn1ce
The pots have a little allen screw on the side. Let me guess... its a 80s model?

Yeah, its a tiny hole for an allen wrench. I've tried my smallest one and it doesn't fit, so I'm going to have to find one that does.

I'm not sure what year the guitar was made. That's part of the reason why I made this post!

And to those of you who like the color scheme, I'll be honest: it grew on me. When I first bought it I was going to immediately install pickup covers, but once I saw it the colors weren't as ridiculous as I originally thought. However, I know that putting black on there will make it infinitely more marketable to the masses.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
I'd throw gold on to match the floyd

I can save you some trouble with that allen wrench for the knobs, it's most likely a 5/64
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Last edited by CJ Noble at Oct 8, 2011,
nice 4chan reference with your foot in the last pic :P
Quote by Duv
And smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.

Quote by guitarxo
I hope you get raped by a bayonet

Quote by beckyjc
Roland Cube / Vox Valvetronix / Peavey Vypyr / Hitler > Line 6 Spider.
Quote by larson8er
nice 4chan reference with your foot in the last pic :P

First rule of /b/?
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
I've never been to 4chan, although I'm well aware of it. Didn't know putting your foot in a picture was some sort of meme.

Nevertheless, anyone else able to help me out?
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Covers basically always have to be soldered on unless they're plastic. The point of wax potting isn't to keep the cover on, although it seems to pull that double duty on some MightyMite pickups. Maybe your pups are waxed already. If you can see traces of wax somewhere in the nooks and crannies then it has been, which is never bad.
I wouldn't do black. It would look really drab, a lot worse than the neon.
Bump for additional help.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by fantasyh
First rule of /b/?

Mentioning the first and 2nd rule of /b/ succesfully voids the point about the 1st and second rule and are therefore m00t.
Quote by mcraddict81592
If you need to kill a man with a 9v adapter? I say strangulate. Or swing the heavy end around and aim for the temple, all depends on your style.

FrankenBee Build
Updated pictures:

Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
so i saw the first pictures and i was like " i would but that"

followup pics "i would definatley spend a paycheck on that!"
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
looked nice before, looks great now, would look better with gold.

how much are you selling it for?
if i did have all my gear in my sig, id have to change it weekly

"I tried to talk to you and you just kept playing"
"Well why didn't you pull out your boobies?"
"You were busy, I didn't think that would matter."
"Boobies always matter, always."
I'm asking $900 but I'm listening to offers as well.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Go to the bmusic forums and they'll help with the dating.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores