Page 1 of 2
I have a stratcopy that is pretty nice, but it sucks tonewise. It sounds very thin and muddy at the same time. Pickups at the moment are GFS lil killer
Peavey Valveking, peavey bandit and some crap amps. My other strat sounds good and so does my other guitars, it's just this one that sounds like shit.
Hmm... lil killers aren't really known as "thin" pickups... Make sure they're wired up correctly and not being split would be a big one. If that doesn't fix them, then you must have something else wrong.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
The pickups aren't very good. I think thats why it sounds muddy but the guitar itself is very thin sounding
I have the lil killer in the bridge position and it's not bad. Better than what I had before...
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Thin sounding as opposed to anything. It sounds very cheap, especially when playing single notes. My other strat has 50s style single coils and sounds fuller. I previously had a set of lil killers in that one too which sounded really thick with that guitar.
What wood is the body made from? If it's plywood that might have something to do with it.
Could be a wiring problem. Could be that your guitar just sucks. It's hard to tell which is more likely, without knowing how different it is from your other guitar that had them.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Why not put the pickups from your other strat into your stratcopy, and see if there's a difference.
I don't know what wood the body is made of but it could play a role in the cheap tone. I have also thought about replacing the tremolo block with some fullsized steel or brass block
Last edited by 6...6...6... at Oct 8, 2011,
a couple of ?s and a possible answer or two. exactly what guitar are you using? does it still have the original jack and volume pot in it? the reason i ask is that sometimes the pot is crap or goes bad resulting in crap tone. the jack also might be crap and isn't letting the whole guitar signal through. had both problems in the past.

also a better description of what a thick strat tone means to you could help.
All electronics are stock except the pickups. I'm not looking for a super thick humbucker-like tone, just something that's pleasant to hear.
Answer Ethan's question. What pots and capacitors are in it?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I allmost garantee you do not have the pickup installed correctly. What your describing happened to me when I put a Duncan SH-4 in my G-400. I was pissed, called SD and asked what was wrong, they told me exactly what to check. It was my mistake wiring them wrong.

GFS actualy makes some really good pickups. I have removed a Dimarzio Super Distortion because the GFS Fat Pat is far better in my opinion.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
250k should be ok.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by 6...6...6...
Will a fullsized tremolo block help?

it won't hurt. GFS makes good ones.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Maybe I'll check it tomorrow, but it's not only bad electronics that make it sound cheap. high notes sounds thin and cheap on this guitar when played unplugged too
Quote by ethan_hanus

And I thought having an 8k in the neck of my strat was hot!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
And I thought having an 8k in the neck of my strat was hot!

They sound amazing, I have the Trilogy Suites, and my neck is 12.5k, super smooth pickup, drives the crap out of an amp without making it harsh, sounds like a beefed up P-90 but with the twang, they sound slightly scooped even though they aren't.
Quote by ethan_hanus
They sound amazing, I have the Trilogy Suites, and my neck is 12.5k, super smooth pickup, drives the crap out of an amp without making it harsh, sounds like a beefed up P-90 but with the twang, they sound slightly scooped even though they aren't.

what magnets are in it? It has to be some kind of neo or ceramic, i'd think.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Alnicos? Wow. Didn't know you could get alnico scs that hot.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
The duncans seems to be nice but just put a new set of pickups in it is a bit like polishing a turd since it sounds pretty thin acoustically.
Quote by darkarbiter7
Alnicos? Wow. Didn't know you could get alnico scs that hot.

The Sinners single coil set uses the same magnets and the bridge is wound to 21.5K, yet have insane clarity, punch, and beef to them, while cleaning up rather nice...And very little hum for a TRUE single coil...price is a bit steep, but worth it for the tone.
If there's nothing wrong with the wiring and it still sounds bad, get a set of decent dimarzios.
some guitars sound like shit.

with good pickups, electronics and a great amp they sound like well amplified shit.

learn some jack white covers or toss the pig if you can't get it wired to sound to your liking.

otherwise, you may just be tossing paper money in a flame.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by sewoo55
If there's nothing wrong with the wiring and it still sounds bad, get a set of decent dimarzios.

I have looked at the Tone Zone S and Virtual vintage heavy blues. seems like nice pickups with a good balance of warmth and clarity.
Quote by gregs1020
some guitars sound like shit.

with good pickups, electronics and a great amp they sound like well amplified shit.

learn some jack white covers or toss the pig if you can't get it wired to sound to your liking.

otherwise, you may just be tossing paper money in a flame.

I'm not expecting to get world class tone, I just want to know how to improve the tone, other than just replacing the pickups.
Last edited by 6...6...6... at Oct 9, 2011,
Page 1 of 2