just sprayed my guitar (topped with a flame maple veneer) with tobacco brown laquer from stew-mac and this thing is legit red. all the way. i though maybe it just has to soak in but its been an hour of drying and its just.....red. the can says freaking tobacco brown and im freaking out. will it eventually turn brown?
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by The Raven
oh man...

I'm sorry to hear about this but, this should be good
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Life is indeed a broken image.

Last.fm
PSN: BlindNematode
ok so it turns out i have some funky ass lighting in my patio (its night, doing it under light).

tooke it inside.....its ****ing brown to the point that the flame barely shows.....any advice on lightening up? the tint from stewmac is a nitroglycene tint so it can act as a sealer by itself but im going to add a clear coat anyway.

so any way to lighten the color at all?
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
ws sanded down before so idk what u mean by i should have. back of the can says DO NOT SAND in huge letters. but apparently u and my dad beg do differ. thoughts?
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
A few more coats should darken it. I'm not expert though so I really can't assure you that it will help.

Did you dilute it before spraying?

EDIT: NO idea about the sanding, worst case scenario it looks like crap and you have to sand it all the way down and respray.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Last edited by robertito696 at Oct 8, 2011,
Quote by robertito696
A few more coats should darken it. I'm not expert though so I really can't assure you that it will help.

Did you dilute it before spraying?

read the hole thread man but thanks for the input. and it came ready in an aerosol can so idk if there is a way to dilute it
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Pics?
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by diceksox1809
Pics?

yea sure gimme a minute
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
img

looks black but i think u can get the picture
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
read the hole thread man but thanks for the input. and it came ready in an aerosol can so idk if there is a way to dilute it

Must have just missed my edit. I thought you had a spray gun and bought fluid for it, which you have to dilute and coat multiple times to get the real color. With an aerosol can you won't run into any of those problems.

EDIT: That does seem really dark.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
k

any suggestions?
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Wisthekiller
Sanding it down should be fine.

again, back of the can, big letters DO NOT SAND......but ill take a crack at it
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Nitro???

Well, before trying sanding, ya *might* wanna try some lacquer thinner and wiping it down with a lint-free rag??? If it fuggs it up...well, yer gonna sand and re-finish anyway....right?

Oh! And you *did* do a test spray before you spritzed the guitar...didn't you??
Quote by deltaten
Nitro???

Well, before trying sanding, ya *might* wanna try some lacquer thinner and wiping it down with a lint-free rag??? If it fuggs it up...well, yer gonna sand and re-finish anyway....right?

Oh! And you *did* do a test spray before you spritzed the guitar...didn't you??

i actually did do a test on a excess peace of flame maple. also i think all of you should note that this is a veneer, not a thick top. i dont have much room to sand. i meantioned that in the original post idk if anyone noticed...
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
just an update for anyone following...or any1 that cares.

sanded it (big suprise there)

and it actually did a pretty damn good job of taking 85% of the paint back off. it has the dark spots here and there but i resprayed it with the brown with it a light coat and it looks promising. ill update with pics in 24 hours when she's all back together neck n all

ty guys
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
just an update for anyone following...or any1 that cares.

sanded it (big suprise there)

and it actually did a pretty damn good job of taking 85% of the paint back off. it has the dark spots here and there but i resprayed it with the brown with it a light coat and it looks promising. ill update with pics in 24 hours when she's all back together neck n all

ty guys

Told ya. You're supposed to lightly sand after you apply your stain/lacquer whatever to flame maple or curly maple so the flame/curl stand out from the finish. At least that's what I keep reading every now and then.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Told ya. You're supposed to lightly sand after you apply your stain/lacquer whatever to flame maple or curly maple so the flame/curl stand out from the finish. At least that's what I keep reading every now and then.

i was just so paranoid from ripping through the thin veneer if i sanded to much lol

oh and it still looks like shit upon further observation, but at least its not black ahha
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
i was just so paranoid from ripping through the thin veneer if i sanded to much lol

oh and it still looks like shit upon further observation, but at least its not black ahha

Well you're the one that wanted it brown and now you're complaining it looks like shit??? What do you think it was going to look like?!

Ok, can you link the exact stew-mac product you bought? I know shit (haha) about finishes and finishing, but I'm a rocket scientist next to you.

Have you done anything else since the pics? (i.e. more coats, more sanding, etc.) What's the body look like now?