Ok, I use a pick to play songs like Rise Against or what not, but whats your opinion on this

I tend to have my wrist or arm leaning on the bass, is that ok or should I just air pick it?
Last edited by Trent Armitage at Oct 9, 2011,
Quote by PeeInMyAss
Why the hell would you wear armor why playing bass?

autocorrect fail i editted it lol
Which ever is most comfortable. I don't really use a pick unless the song calls for it, but what ever works for you then do it.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
As already said, do what is comfortable for you. Fingerstyle players have been arguing over the "Floating hand" vs. the "Anchored Hand" for decades and no one seems to have a definitive answer. If what you are doing is causing you pain, then stop doing it and adjust your technique.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
When I play with a pick, I either have the side of my palm just out from bridge so I can mute the strings or my hand floats between neck and neck pickup. Like everyone else has said, as long as it doesnt cause pain during or after playing.

I think with fingerstyle its a little more crucial because of more muscle movement perhaps. (I honestly have no clue) But I remember reading about Juan Alderete(the Mars Volta) having wrist problems from wrong playing technique. I think he played with his wrist in a weird position.

Sorry if I am way off here. Just my thoughts.
Just play however makes you feel comfortable.
Quote by PeeInMyAss
Why the hell would you wear armor why playing bass?

What, doesn't everyone play in a full set of platemail?
Whatever is more comfortable to you. In my case, I simply can't play decently while my hand hovers over the strings, so I either put my thumb on the p-up if playing fingerstyle, or my hand on the bridge if using a pick.
Professional lurker since 2009.