Poll: Do you know anyone under 30 who uses those terms?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you know anyone under 30 who uses those terms?
Yes, I do
101 57%
No way, breh
38 21%
Stewieswan is a fag
38 21%
Voters: 177.
Page 1 of 2
I'm in an argument with a friend of mine. I keep telling him that nobody under ~30 uses these terms to describe music anymore. He keeps insisting that the terms are still used by young people. Do you know anyone who still says 'heavy metal' or 'rock and roll' when describing music?
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Oct 9, 2011,
I say rock n' roll if I'm referring to a band with a more classic rock 'n roll vibe, ifnahmeen. I'd never call a modern radio rock sounding band rock 'n roll though.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I say I listen to Metal, I think Heavy Metal is the same thing.
I call it Rock N' Roll to classify Classic Rock, good old fashion Rock N' Roll.
Quote by vulcan422
i wish i could see Children Of Bodom agen
Quote by red157
Granted. But you have to endure support by the Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers and a steaming turd.

1. Death
2. Children Of Bodom
3. Metallica
4. Megadeth
5. Pantera
6. Cannibal Corpse
I think StevieSwan is a fag.

I listen to rock and roll music and heavy metal, brah. Whajoo talkin' bout' man?

Seriously? Seriously, no. Heavy metal, occasionally, but it's mostly just talked about under the umbrella term metal. Rock and roll, on the other hand...
No. I use the term heavy metal occasionally, but I've only heard people over thirty use those terms outside of that.

Edit: I don't think I ever use the terms "metal" and "rock" by themselves. I always tack something on to them (ie. post-rock). I'm more of a genre Nazi than I realise.
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Oct 9, 2011,
I use rock-and-roll to talk about roots stuff, like Buddy Holly, Bill Haley, Chuck Berry, etc.
Rock 'N Roll; Chuck Berry, ACDC, a lot of other bands I don't really listen to.

Heavy Metal; Maiden, Dream Evil, blah blah.
I refer to every and all Punk bands as 'Rock and Roll' for some reason... and metal just isn't as heavy as it used it be.
I use them both. rock and roll for more 50's kinda rock.

and calling StewieSwan a fag would insult fags.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Yea I know this flaming fag named Stewart. Oh man, he is SO lame. I laugh at him all the time. Stupid loser.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Yea I know this flaming fag named Stewart. Oh man, he is SO lame. I laugh at him all the time. Stupid loser.

It's a good thing my name isn't Stewart then.
The only time I use the term "Traditional Heavy Metal" I use it to describe bands like Iron Maiden.
Quote by StewieSwan
It's a good thing my name isn't Stewart then.

Jesus, not everything's about you.

Sheesh.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Tons.

You just have to find people who understand subgenres. And by understand, I don't mean know of the dozens of sub-adjective adjective post-nouncore metal subgenres.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by necrosis1193
Tons.

You just have to find people who understand subgenres. And by understand, I don't mean know of the dozens of sub-adjective adjective post-nouncore metal subgenres.

This

Both heavy metal and rock'n'roll are genres on their own.
If it's Rock 'n' Roll, I call it Rock 'n' Roll. If it Heavy Metal, I call it Heavy Metal.
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
I know what you are getting at saying "Heavy Metal/Rock N' Roll" is like hearing an older person call Facebook the "internet" or something of the sort. I usually just hear rock/metal from under 30. There is no need to say "heavy" or "roll" any more....
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2
I know what you are getting at saying "Heavy Metal/Rock N' Roll" is like hearing an older person call Facebook the "internet" or something of the sort. I usually just hear rock/metal from under 30. There is no need to say "heavy" or "roll" any more....

No it's more like someone calling the internet the world wide web.
Quote by StewieSwan
No it's more like someone calling the internet the world wide web.

My point is still valid....
Quote by macaroni
Isn't Iron Maiden heavy metal?

Hell Yeah!
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
I still call England, Great Britain.

Man, they hate that.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Quote by mystical_1
I still call England, Great Britain.

Man, they hate that.

With good reason. I'm glad no one uses the Netherlands and the Benelux interchangeably.

I'd use rock'n'roll to describe stuff like Chuck Berry et cetera. When rock was just a faster and louder blues shuffle with terrible lyrics.
Me... I use both terms...
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Coltrane

The apple always falls close to the tree, but the tree always falls on the power lines.
My sister complained I was listening to Heavy Metal when I played this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO3GQvye2bQ

I was like GTFO.

From my understanding, Heavy Metal is a sub-genre of metal applicable to bands like Metallica and whatnot, so the bands that do play Heavy Metal are generally older. Those unversed in the different genres of metal are more likely to use the term Heavy Metal though.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Silence Stewieswan. You are a fool. Everyone uses those terms.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
if they're talking about "heavy metal" as in traditional 70's/early 80's metal such as Judas Priest and Deep Purple or modern metal in that style, or "rock 'n' roll" as in 50's rock such as Buddy Holly and Elvis Presley or modern bands in that style, then i know plenty.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I use both terms all the time. I use rock n roll for anything from Chuck Berry to the Stones and heavy metal for classic metal like early Black Sabbath.
Heavy metal can be used to mean traditional metal, but is a shit name for that subgenre because it's the least heavy type of metal.
Page 1 of 2