Hey, I've been playing for 17 years now, and for a long time my speciality was rhythm guitar, particularly chords and I invested years in being able to play just about any rhythm part or any complex chord.

However I haven't been in a band for a couple of years and been really trying to work on my lead guitar technique, I've learnt all my scales and my modes (although I'm still trying to break the habit of always using my favourites) and I've worked hard on my finger speed, use of my pinky and my pick technique.

But I seem to have plateaued and haven't seems to have made any progress in a couple of months so I was wondering if anyone could recommend some licks for me to learn to help break the rut.

My primary genres are classic rock, blues rock, blues, but I'm looking to learn from as many genres as possible to keep my playing dynamic etc.

Many Thanks
-G
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
To learn licks, the best way is to learn songs. You'll come across many licks through learning them

If you're looking for lead-guitar licks, then just learn solos, and skip other parts of the song
Last edited by Zeletros at Oct 9, 2011,
Hmm i think the best way is the following.

the best lick factory is being inventive bout what you already know:

1. Take the 7 modes for example.

2. Choose a mode and play all the notes in 3rds in sequence
For example is you have C major you should play:

c-d-e, d-e-f, e-f-g etc.....

3. Now play it using only 3rds (interval)

EX: c-e, d-f, e-g etc....

4. Mess around withh all the intervals

5. Another way is to basically take the same modes only that you mess around with different note values

You play the same mode in 8th notes, 16 notes etc....

6. You can mix the interval playing with different rhythm patterns, you get the idea.

Hope it helped.

PS: I am not a big fan of learning the solos of others just to learn how to compose solos.

It is good to be influenced from stuff like that but that is al, dn't overdoo covers it doesn't worth it on the long runl
Zeletros is completly right, learn songs.

Take songs you like and learn them (or just the solos) and also look what chords are played below the solo. I really think (MY opinion, you flamers) that modes are very overrated and are not that useful. Use your ear, go by sound.

Cheers
Licks are good to fall back on, but try and think in phrases rather than licks.
Quote by Sickz
Zeletros is completly right, learn songs.

Take songs you like and learn them (or just the solos) and also look what chords are played below the solo. I really think (MY opinion, you flamers) that modes are very overrated and are not that useful. Use your ear, go by sound.

Cheers

Modes are rarely used in guitar solos outside of classical and jazz music. You come across the occasional modal passage, but they are the exception rather than the rule.

If you want to improve your lead playing, rather than learning licks, look at solos that you like and see what techniques are used to create certain sounds. Figure out what skills you'll need to acquire or improve to be able to play the music you want, then start learning those techniques.