This probably sounds like a retarded question to some, but what is meant by the "scale" on a guitar? I'm seeing 24.5 and 26.5 and even 28.625 scales, but what the **** does it mean? Cheers
I'm tossing up between 6, 7 and 8 strings guitars, if that has any relevance
Scale most probably means how much would the distance between frets be. Also, try to learn to use the "edit" button
Scale length is the distance between the nut and the bridge (and is used to calculate the placement of all the frets), a very common length is 25.5"

When you increase the scale length you increase the tension in the strings for the same note, e.g. a low E at 27" will be tighter than a low E at 25.5" this is very useful for downtuning and 7 and 8 string guitars where loose low strings sound muddy and undefined.

So if you want a 7 string go with 26.5" or 27" if you want an 8 string the 28.625" you mentioned would be a good choice.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Zeletros
Also, try to learn to use the "edit" button

this.

But the scale is (according to wiki) the maximum vibrating length of a string. So basically on a guitar that is from the nut to the bridge and it is measured in inches i believe. Hope this helps
Quote by Absent Mind
Scale length is the distance between the nut and the bridge (and is used to calculate the placement of all the frets), a very common length is 25.5"

When you increase the scale length you increase the tension in the strings for the same note, e.g. a low E at 27" will be tighter than a low E at 25.5" this is very useful for downtuning and 7 and 8 string guitars where loose low strings sound muddy and undefined.

So if you want a 7 string go with 26.5" or 27" if you want an 8 string the 28.625" you mentioned would be a good choice.

This.

Exactly this.
Quote by staceap
ok, would a 26.5/27 scale be ok on an 8?

For standard 8 string tuning (low F#) I think 27" would probably be about the shortest you'd want to go; even then you'll need a pretty hefty string to make the tension work.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by staceap
ok, would a 26.5/27 scale be ok on an 8?

27" is fine. I use an .080 for a low E and it sounds great. I'd go down to Eb, maaaybe D with a .090 at 27".
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221