I've been playing about 2 years now so i know a fair amount about how to pick/strum. I can pick individual strings with no problem at all but when i try and strum more than one string for a couple of bars (for example a power chord progression that last for a verse etc.) the pick ends up sliding into a position where im effectively playing with my fingers *unless* i put two fingers on the pick and a thumb. That solves the problem but it's just impracticle and annoying and stops the songs from flowing as smoothly. Im self taught so im guessing its a bad habit to ive picked up to get around a problem i faced way back when i was just strating out. I was wondering if anybody else faced/faces the same problem and how they stop it. Hope it all makes sense.
Quote by EndOfNothing656
Everyone can sing, its just some asshole who makes you feel bad and tells you to stop thats the problem...

Quote by randomhero93
ah I see that you're new here... so I won't be the one to slander you for spam.
It's kind of hard for me to picture what you're talking about without pictures, (maybe you could put some up?) but there are some guitar picks that are designed for you to be able to grip them better, like the ones from Dava.

The other picks that I've grown to like are jazz picks (not a brand, but the style of the pick). Because they're so small, they force you to grip them tighter, and therein lies a nice increase in attack. Also, they bring your fingers closer to the strings making pinch harmonics a little bit easier.

I'm no pro, by any means, and self-taught like you. This has just been my experience.

Hope it helps!
I'd do a 'before and after' picture if i had a camera but i dont because i broke it :/ I knew some pick had grips etc but i dont really want to be reliant on them because its would just annoy me knowing that i'd have to use a certain pick to be 'good'. When/if i get a camera ill put up a picture. Im sure its because i never practice with one finger and tumb on the pick so ill try that whilst i wait for a camera. Hey it might solve the problem.
Quote by EndOfNothing656
Everyone can sing, its just some asshole who makes you feel bad and tells you to stop thats the problem...

Quote by randomhero93
I'm a fan of Dunlop's Jazz III XL picks. They offer some grip, but I think that the MaxGrip's feel really different and I don't like them at all. I had your problem at the start.. Maybe you're holding the pick a little bit wrong?
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

A lot of people start playing by holding the pick with two or three fingers, with the tips of their fingers facing the tip of the pick. This doesn't offer as much control. My personal preference is to hold the pick with the index finger and thumb facing opposite sides of the pick. If you were to pinch your fingers together in that position without a pick, the pad of your thumb would be pressing against the side of your index finger.

These pictures are kinda blurry, but they should illustrate what I'm talking about. It's not easy to take pictures with just your left hand.
Attachments:
DSC05866.JPG
DSC05868.JPG
Yeh that's how the pick is meant to be held (unless personal preference means you can do it better a different way) . I hold it a really odd way but it seems to work fine for me (other than this multiple strings problem) my thumb faces the same way as yours but so does my finger...whats up with that? only just realised how wierd that is.
Quote by EndOfNothing656

Quote by randomhero93
I'd imagine that forces you to use your wrist more. It may just be a matter of practicing the "proper" way to hold the pick, if this is a continuing problem for you. You might be able to overcome it through practicing your own style though, so don't feel like you have to give up on it. :P
Are you not meant to use your wrist? Oh god. Two years of bad habit to get over. FML. I understand what you're talking about with the beginners way of picking now. Whilst trying new ways of holding the pick i eneded up in that position and you're right. Its so restricting. I also attempted your way of holding the pick but the way my hand is formed means that the pick gets tilted and i get a slicing sounds for every single string i hit. Ill keep experimenting. It might just be a case of building muscle so i can grip a bit tighter. Thanks for your help though
Quote by EndOfNothing656

Quote by randomhero93
You use hard picks don't ya. I do a lot of wrist picking, I've got a bad habit of anchoring the palm of my hand at the bridge (just south of palm-muting territory, makes it easy to get into chuggachug zone and serves me well for tremolo picking). I use the eric johnson jazz III's so theres not much pick exposed to begin with, and when all that comes together I wind up with the same problem as you. Either gripping the pick tight as all hell which is tiring and uncomfortable or the pick slips upwards in between my fingertips, making me pick with my knuckles. (not a good sound or feel.)
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
You sir, are god. I do infact use thick picks. Really cheap, thick ones. I find the pick slides sideways and i end up with the pick sideways in my grip and playing with my fingertips. I may invest in a range of thinner 'gripped' picks and see if that solves it. You have also helped me realise why it happens to me. I go all 'blink-182' when i strum more than one. Like my arm is basically floating and my wrist moves at least 90 degrees so im just strumming almost every string. Lazy habit and im gonna fix it.
Quote by EndOfNothing656

Quote by randomhero93
Quote by ajondunnfarmer
Are you not meant to use your wrist? Oh god. Two years of bad habit to get over. FML. I understand what you're talking about with the beginners way of picking now. Whilst trying new ways of holding the pick i eneded up in that position and you're right. Its so restricting. I also attempted your way of holding the pick but the way my hand is formed means that the pick gets tilted and i get a slicing sounds for every single string i hit. Ill keep experimenting. It might just be a case of building muscle so i can grip a bit tighter. Thanks for your help though

Of course you're supposed to use your wrist to pick - however if you hold the pick with the fingers pointing towards the body of the guitar then that forces you to arch your wrist around and places a lot of tension on it.

You want your arm, wrist and thumb all pretty much in a straight line with the index finger bent under to grip the pick, which should pretty much be at 90 degrees to your thumb, and definitely not pointing in the same direction.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Sweet, even I learned something today. Thanks.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
I have the arm wrist thumb part all sorted out and my thumb and finger are at 90 degrees (sortof, 75 but its close enough) so i should be all sorted now?
Quote by EndOfNothing656

Quote by randomhero93
Very hard to 'write' how to strum properly especially since there are so many unique ways. In general the motion is a combination of wrist and arm, very relaxed and fluid, use a light pick around .60mm and a wide arc in your strumming motion.
Thanks man, found myself the 'perfect' way of holding the pick, i can strum multiple strings effectively now, its comfortable, its only uses my index finger and thumb and its comfortable. I use a .71mm btw but i used to be fond of the lower sizes so i might return to them. Thanks for all the help people. I am all sorted in this department now just practice is needed now
Quote by EndOfNothing656

Quote by randomhero93
The other picks that I've grown to like are jazz picks (not a brand, but the style of the pick). Because they're so small, they force you to grip them tighter, and therein lies a nice increase in attack. Also, they bring your fingers closer to the strings making pinch harmonics a little bit easier.