I bought a Silver Burst Epiphone Les Paul Custom a while back, and finally pulled it apart to see what the previous owner did to it. It has Tonerider Generator pickups in it... which sound good, but not great, too thin sounding to me.

So that brings me to my question, what would you guys recommend for a PAF style pickup, I am mostly looking at the bridge, but will probably replace the neck as well. Price doesn't really matter. I use the LP for playing Led Zeppelin, Cream, Derek and the Dominos, AC/DC and Black Sabbath style music.

I run the guitar through a Marshall Class5 and a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.
GFS Fat Pat

Can't beat it for the price or sound.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
If price isn't a problem, Bareknuckle make a few PAF styles that get a lot of praise. "Mules" being a traditional PAF, "Riff Raff" is a bit brighter (more AC/DC) and the "Black Dog" a bit hotter and fatter.

I only really know a few of the modern ones though; I've not personally tried the vintage ones.
Obligatory gear list
Guitars
Ibanez SZ4020 w/BKP Miracle Man set
Cort X-11 w/EMG 85+81
Tanglewood TSB58 HB w/BKP Nailbomb & Cold Sweat
Epiphone SG Prophecy w/Seymour Duncan/Ibz
Basses
Indie Swamp 4
Ibanez BTB 775 PB
Amps
Engl Screamer 50
+1 to the GFS I have one in the bridge of a LP clone and it is great sounds warm and bug, with just enough bite
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I am mostly looking for a good Cream and Zeppelin sound, the other bands are less of a priority.

I might try the GFS, but I have had pickups from them that I love, and then some I hated. The Barenuckles interest me, although this LP is pretty bright already, the body is very light weight.
WCR Crossroads.

come on guys...

price doesn't matter and you are recommending GFS pups!? Seriously?! They aren't bad, but they are nowhere near good.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Wolfetone Marshallheads... installed them in my SG, sound killer. WCR is another good choice.
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

I would prefer not BareKnuckle at this point, as I am in the US. The WCR looks good also.

Just to cover all basses, how about some lower priced ones also (not GFS) like the $200 or less (for a whole set) range? I should be able to swing a WCR set, but I don't know for sure at this point.
Quote by Wylde_Life
I would prefer not BareKnuckle at this point, as I am in the US. The WCR looks good also.

Just to cover all basses, how about some lower priced ones also (not GFS) like the $200 or less (for a whole set) range? I should be able to swing a WCR set, but I don't know for sure at this point.

Dimarzio 36th anniversary would be in that range.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
some of the best PAF's i have heard are BG's. all custom order/winding you choose everything about the pickup 100%. he was a regular on HC when i was over there. they were only about $70ish a piece too.

http://www.bg-pups.com/
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I love the Seymour Duncan '59. I also like the DiMarzio Air Classic a lot.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I guess I am taking a look at lower priced pickups for sure now, had some unforseen costs come up. Looking at $200 or less for a full set.

What are your opinions on the SD '59 in both Bridge and Neck? What about a JB at the Bridge? How are the Dimarzio 36th PAFs?
Ok, so Dimarzio PAF DP103 Neck and PAF DP223 Bridge or Seymour Duncan SH-1 ('59) both bridge and neck?

I have narrowed it down to those two setups from sound clips, since I can no longer spend the amount for WCR's.
I have a set of the Seymour Duncan SH-1s. They have a broad range of good tone when using the volume and tone knobs. If needed I'd buy them again.
I suppose worse case is I buy one and don't like it, I resell it and lose a few bucks and get the other. I may still just try to save up for the WCR's. The Tonerider's in there aren't bad sounding, I just don't care for the bridge being so hot.

Keep sending the suggestions! I am probably getting the SD's or Dimarzios for now!
I might have a set of duncan 59s somewhere around.

Nickel covered. I might be looking to sell them off if you are interested
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JLT73
I might have a set of duncan 59s somewhere around.

Nickel covered. I might be looking to sell them off if you are interested

I sent you a message Thanks.
A member here offered me a GuitarForce RebelFire bridge for a good price, what are your guy's opinions on that for getting my sound?
not many, if anyone here has used Guitarforce pickups.

you can find a lot of information/reviews on mylespaul.com
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by chadreed32
http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/humbuckers/fred

That is my suggestion. I honestly don't know what to write here, I just didn't want it to look so empty

I used to have a Fred in my old faded SG. I did not care for it at all, that thing used to mud up on me something fierce. If I got anything from DiMarzio, it would be the 36th PAF. Thanks though!
Seymour Duncan antiquities are the best PAF clones out there imo. Yes, I think they sound closer to real PAFs than Bareknuckles and WCRs and they cost significantly less.
... A little late, I ended up going with DiMarzio PAF's... I liked what I heard from them on Youtube. Oh well, I am sure I will be happy.