Ok so i was playing this solo and i notaced that the notes changed through out the solo, like in one part i played a c and then went back and played a c# so can someone tell me if there is a rule on going from like a minor to a harmonic minor and what not?
Just change the chord progression in the rythm behind the solo and no one will notcie because it wont stand out. but if you kept the rythm playing the minor (most likely natural minor) then your c# will stick out like a sore thumb. just change the chord progression and you should be fine.
Bass94 is on the right track (kind of.) Chances are your solo did not change modes or even use a mode to begin with. You just changed the note. At this point, you are technically playing atonally. That C# is a chromatic note. A note not in the scale. If the C# sounds "in-tune" with the song, then it is probably just part of the scale or the rhythm changes in the solo. Can you show me what song?
Quote by carnagereap666
Bass94 is on the right track (kind of.) Chances are your solo did not change modes or even use a mode to begin with. You just changed the note. At this point, you are technically playing atonally. That C# is a chromatic note. A note not in the scale. If the C# sounds "in-tune" with the song, then it is probably just part of the scale or the rhythm changes in the solo. Can you show me what song?

I don't think he meant that he's playing modally. He's probably talking about the switch between natural and harmonic minor. You are allowed to do the switch and still stay in key if you're in a minor key.

Chromatic notes have little to do with atonality.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Using notes outside of the scale is totally okay. They are called accidentals. You can changed between the natural minor and the harmonic minor freely, because it's all in a minor tonality. The notes you use in a lead have little to do with establishing the key you are playing in, that is what the chord progression behind it does.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
the song is called farewell balled by zakk wylde, and so bassicly lead can do anything as long as the chord progression follows it? And what if there is no rhythm to begin with cause farrewell balled is just zakk playing and no one else
Farewell Ballad is in the key of D Minor. In minor keys it's common to raise the 7th degree, which is why you can use both C(b7) and C#(maj7).

The reason for raising the 7th degree, in this case C to C# is that it creates a stronger pull to the tonic. C# is known as a leading tone.

D Natural Minor's 7th degree is C.
D Harmonic Minor's 7th degree is C#.

If there is a backing track, Zakk is likely to hit the C# when the chord changes to A, which is the V chord of D Harmonic Minor.
Last edited by mdc at Oct 9, 2011,
Quote by mdc
Farewell ballad is in the key of D Minor. In minor keys it's common to raise the 7th degree, which is why you can use both C(b7) and C#(maj7).

The reason for raising the 7th degree, in this case C to C# is that it creates a stronger pull to the tonic. C# is known as a leading tone.

D Natural Minor's 7th degree is C.
D Harmonic Minor's 7th degree is C#.

Would I be correct in thinking if you played the C# note over a C chord in the key of D minor it would severely clash ?
If you hung on it for a while then yeah it'd sound awful. If you used it as a passing note to C over the C chord (R) or go the other way up to D (9), you'd get away with it.

Essentially, you can use all 12 notes, it's where you place them that is most important.
Last edited by mdc at Oct 9, 2011,
modes are just a trick, done by guitar teachers to make things more complex, dey just scales.
Quote by j6ibs
modes are just a trick, done by guitar teachers to make things more complex, dey just scales.

They are not just tricks nor are they just scales. That is preposterous and I suggest you read Colohue's column on modes. It will clear up and misconceptions you may have.