Page 1 of 2
I was watching a very interesting Allan Holdsworth interview where he said that he never actually wanted to play guitar, and didn't like playing guitar one bit, but gradually grew to love playing it. And as is obvious, he's pretty damn good at it too.

How can someone seriously be so good at an instrument, or become good at an instrument, and hate it too?
Omar from TMV/ATDI used to say he hated the guitar. He wanted to play piano but got stuck with the guitar since his band mates found it easier to relate to.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
The same way you can be good at a job, but hate it at the same time.

Playing the same thing over and over, can get very boring, and eventually someone can hate it.
You belong in a museum.

Do you Enjoy Forza, and wish to be in an in game Club?! Look no further! Please, join.. there is no one else!
I'm really good at the flute but I despise playing it. No fun at all.
Check out my band Disturbed
im sure there's a ton of kids that were forced into taking piano lessons that are/were decent, despite hating it.

Quote by PureGouldBass
Huh?

my school forced us to buy cheap plastic ones and play them.
Last edited by rickyj at Oct 9, 2011,
I never imaged Allan Holdsworth could be so interesting to one person.

On topic tons of people are good at things they hate, some do it anyway and others decide to ignore their talents.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by palm mute

On topic tons of people are good at things they hate, some do it anyway and others decide to ignore their talents.

Hint: It's Fassa
Quote by rickyj
im sure there's a ton of kids that were forced into taking piano lessons that are/were decent, despite hating it.

This. I hated piano when I was little but was very good at it.

I like playing it now though so I don't know if it still counts

Oh yea, Hi Fassa
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by StewieSwan
Hint: It's Fassa

I have thought this multiple times, but I haven't heard much about Peart yet. I doubt Fassa could refrain from talking about Peart for this long.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
she really is just like Fassa. they're probably related.

OT, i don't really enjoy playing guitar much, anymore, though i wouldn't say i hate it.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by palm mute

Allan Holdsworth stopped me from making the mistake of quitting guitar some time back. He's also responsible for not just making me a better guitarist, but also a better all-round musician. Of all the musicians I like, he's made the biggest impact.

You miss one critical point: AH now LOVES to play the guitar. My question is about people going from hating to loving to play their instrument.
Quote by palm mute
I have thought this multiple times, but I haven't heard much about Peart yet. I doubt Fassa could refrain from talking about Peart for this long.

She just changed the obsession to Holdsworth is all. Don't tell me you would find that hard to believe Remember how many religions she went through in 2 years.
Quote by palm mute

Maybe she realized Rush wasn't the greatest thing ever?
You belong in a museum.

Do you Enjoy Forza, and wish to be in an in game Club?! Look no further! Please, join.. there is no one else!
Quote by PureGouldBass
You miss one critical point: AH now LOVES to play the guitar. My question is about people going from hating to loving to play their instrument.

Stockholm syndrome.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by palm mute

Peart loved drums so much that he ended up taking lessons in Europe, after which he hated drums so much he wrote a song about it. Well, mostly about his time in Europe, but...

... Yeah.
Quote by StewieSwan
She just changed the obsession to Holdsworth is all. Don't tell me you would find that hard to believe Remember how many religions she went through in 2 years.

and how she changed what her main instrument was, what her first language is, etc.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by StewieSwan

You have very good points.
Quote by PureGouldBass
isn't that a Muse song (and a good one at that)?

yeah I think it is.

I was more going for this though.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Last edited by palm mute at Oct 9, 2011,
There was a user on this site a while ago who claimed to know so much theory, play in different genres that he hated music.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

John Frusciante stopped playing guitar and concentrated on painting for years, then went back to guitar. He also went through a phase when he played more piano than guitar.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Quote by Venice King
John Frusciante stopped playing guitar and concentrated on painting for years, then went back to guitar. He also went through a phase when he played more piano than guitar.

I think that was when he was a heroin addict though soooo....

but god, TS does really seem like Fassa. even in the UK...we'll call you Nassa Albrecht!
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by JAHellraiser

but god, TS does really seem like Fassa. even in the UK...we'll call you Nassa Albrecht!

according to Mapquest, they live 37 mins / 34.48 miles apart, and Fassa is 12 days older.

we should call her New Fassa, or maybe Nufassa, almost like Simba's dad in The Lion King.
Quote by theogonia777
according to Mapquest, they live 37 mins / 34.48 miles apart, and Fassa is 12 days older.

we should call her New Fassa, or maybe Nufassa, almost like Simba's dad in The Lion King.

This makes me laugh more than it should, I hear it in Whoopi's taunting hyena voice
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by PureGouldBass

When did he say that?
I know he said he hated playing it because he wanted to play sax instead (hence the way he plays the guitar).

I sometimes have those moments with my guitar. I hear a sexy bassline and look at my guitar in anger at its inability to play such a thing.
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
Quote by smokeysteve22
YOU and fucking Allan Holdsworth

I lol'd
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
Quote by theogonia777

oh yeah I like Nufassa better
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
I played the piano from ages 5 to 10 but hated it. I was able to play pieces by Mozart and Chopin.

Man, why did I stop? I regret it now

Of all the things I convinced my parents of, WHY must one of them have been "stop sending me to piano lessons"?

Now I can only play Home Sweet Home perfectly.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Coltrane

The apple always falls close to the tree, but the tree always falls on the power lines.
Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
There was a user on this site a while ago who claimed to know so much theory, play in different genres that he hated music.

Probably Fassa.
Quote by Athabasca
My ex did the same. Cheated on me and then acted like I'd given her sister a facial. Women are retarded.
Quote by theogonia777

Definitely Nufassa.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I played trumpet for three years for school eventually I just said F this and quit playing I was way good but the only reason I played it was so I didn't have to sing
Quote by JAHellraiser

It was.

And yeah it's obviouly fassa.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Quote by rickyj

(Invalid img)

my school forced us to buy cheap plastic ones and play them.

I practiced that everyday for at least an hour and often 3 hours a day. I was like ****ing Jethro Tull of 4rth grade.
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
Page 1 of 2