Hi,

So I am currently learning sungha's billie jean tab and a lot of measures look like this:

-
-
x
x
-

I have been making the percusive sounds for the x's by tapping my finger nails against the strings but am unsure whether that is the right method, especially after always seeing these strange tabs all the time.

So, how exactly would I play both the percusive part of above tab while still playing the note? Or is the x's simply there to show where the percusive beat would be, if no note were played.

Also, should I be making the percussive noise with my index, middle and ring fingernails, or just using my thumb?

Thanks!
Just hold the 5 with a finger, and let the finger mute the next two strings. Then strum all three. Like a failed barre, if that makes any sense at all.
Dude, where's my band?
I believe the x's mean to tap the body of the guitar. Atleast that is what he does in the video IIRC. Maybe someone can verify this before I learn the wrong way.
MARTY FRIEDMAN--"It’s a lot easier to be technical than it is stylized; it really is... But I think it’s a lot more rare to have someone who’s really got their own sound because that’s something you can’t practice."
Quote by WesM.Vaughan
I believe the x's mean to tap the body of the guitar. Atleast that is what he does in the video IIRC. Maybe someone can verify this before I learn the wrong way.

No, Sungha doesn't go in for much of the whole body-percussion thing, this is much more likely to be him hitting the strings to keep the groove going, he favours that much more than tapping on the body.

Also: cool necropost brah.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.