Hey guys, I've been playing guitar for a few years but want to try something new. I've been listening to a lot of old school Job For A Cowboy and been watching vids on youtube of guys playing Deathcore. It looks quite hard but I was hoping there might be some simple help you could give that would point me in the right direction to learning the style.

I know it's usally in a dropped tuning which isn't a problem because I used to downtune all the time untill I lost my tuner. I've recently bought another cromatic one so I can downtune again lol.
Gear: Lindo victory flying V, Orange 30w practice amp, Jazz iii guitar picks, mobile phone apps for tuner and metronome.
Tune like a bass, use too much distortion and mute everything.
Dude, where's my band?
play really simple fast riffs on the guitar with extremely fast drums and put in a lot of breadowns
Drop C, muted open chord on the 3 low strings. Occasionally play way up on like the 15th fret of the A or D string to make it sound scary/shocking. I find that the Guitar parts in Deathcore (Assuming we've got the same definition of Deathcore bands here) are usually not that difficult at all, and really do revolve around chugging chords for a low, brutal kinda sound. It's so simple but the songs work as a whole because of the other instruments involved + vocals.
you could try playing Pray For Plagues by Bring Me The Horizon. pretty much, if you can play that song, most other deathcore stuff is very similar. (the Count Your Blessings album is the actual only good album BMTH did)
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
tune down real low like A/B, palm mute everything, go fast and then switch to slow, heavy breakdowns (a good chord for this is E/2 A/1) and if your doing like a suicide silence style then get another guitar player (or yourself ofc) to play sweep picks over the top.
this is all i know as i don't listen to much to play dethcore so look at tabs and lessons of well known/good deathcore congs good luck.

Also, here's how to play deathcore

Disregard all music theory (You may want to use one of the most basic arpeggios possible and play it as slow as you can for an outro because it'll sound amazing after 4 minutes of chugging)
Listen to a Whitechapel song and see if you're stupid enough to convince yourself that it's good
Downtune almost an octave because you're so bad that you can't sound heavy in standard
Pick a note
Spam it as fast as you can
Repeat x5
Replace all solos and leads with musically inept breakdowns
???
Profit, you can now make music with less musical value than Rebecca Black
A lot of people hate deathcore apparently.

I honestly came in to say the same shit, but its already been spammed times 20.
Tune down....chug power chords.....just play inside the scale of your lowest string for any other little fills ect.....learn to mute as fast as you can....

To me it sounds like chugging open strings....and i dont like that.....but some of the little fills and such sound ok....
I haz gotten gud
I came to make wise cracks about deathcore not being music, but it looks like someone already beat me to it.

To play deathcore:

Step 1. Tune down until yore strings lose almost all tension.

Step 2. Tune down lower than that.

Step 3. Get thicker strings

Step 4. Tune those strings down until they're as slack as the strings you had before.

step 5. Cut off the top 5 strings; you won't need them

Step 6. Just hit that bottom string randomly.
Quote by Diamond Dave

Things that restored my faith in humanity this year: 26
Things that removed all faith in humanity this year: 1,563,745,234 (estimated)

so that's a result of -1,563,745,208 faith points in humanity lost, which is actually up from last year!
To play deathcore you need to first see how the songs are written

I recommend you start playing some tabs of your favorite bands:

This will:

- get used to the speed of deathcore
- learn what kind of riffs are used
- learn song structures
- get the deathcore vibe )

*core music is my favorite style of music and i can tell you this:

- it takes speed and good technique, you have to practice to play fast and relaxed, then the sky is the limit.

Riff wise is not very difficult, the "magic" is in the rhythm, especially during breakdowns

As for verse they usually use the Minor scale (B or A, depending ion the tuning)
Quote by s31770

Disregard all music theory (You may want to use one of the most basic arpeggios possible and play it as slow as you can for an outro because it'll sound amazing after 4 minutes of chugging)
Listen to a Whitechapel song and see if you're stupid enough to convince yourself that it's good
Downtune almost an octave because you're so bad that you can't sound heavy in standard
Pick a note
Repeat x5
???

So much win.
Quote by s31770

Pick a note
Repeat x5
???

Are you saying a guitarist isn't good if they downtune? Because I'm pretty sure that downtuning is a preference.
You know those people that say "that's just a bunch of noise" to music they can't fathom? Deathcore is literally just that.
Just...don't. If you're looking to learn something new, learn something that's actually good. Learn some death metal or jazz if you're looking for something totally different.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by Broken-pick
Just...don't. If you're looking to learn something new, learn something that's actually good. Learn some death metal or jazz if you're looking for something totally different.

There is no "Good music", it's a question about what the person likes.

You might for example see Gaga as a pile of crap when it comes to music, while i'd say she's pretty good.

I don't get why everyone in this thread is bashing deathcore..

Anyway, TS. The best way to learn Deathcore would prob going through a couple of songs by such bands. Look at how the riffs are, arrangement etc.

Cheers.
Quote by Sickz
There is no "Good music", it's a question about what the person likes.

You might for example see Gaga as a pile of crap when it comes to music, while i'd say she's pretty good.

I don't get why everyone in this thread is bashing deathcore..

Anyway, TS. The best way to learn Deathcore would prob going through a couple of songs by such bands. Look at how the riffs are, arrangement etc.

Cheers.

First of all, Lady GaGa is NOT a music. Not a genre. Not even a subgenere. She "supposed" to be singing pop, and pop is good. There are GOOD pop artists and music like Micheal Jackson and Maroon 5 and Madonna. Heck, everything GaGa sings WAS good like 20 years ago when the real person who wrote that performed the song well. She just messed it up like a crappy necromancer of pop music.

And for the OP, learn deathcore, killcore, or any kind of genere name those wannabe meatalheads invent to sound "bad", because you can always learn something from anything. Play it if you like it, just dont think youll make any good music. The real metal is Black Sabbath, not a bunch of pierced dudes that think that if they scream hard and make alot of noise theyre "bad".
Last edited by Standarduser at Oct 11, 2011,
Quote by Standarduser
First of all, Lady GaGa is NOT a music. Not a genre. Not even a subgenere. She "supposed" to be singing pop, and pop is good. There are GOOD pop artists and music like Micheal Jackson and Maroon 5 and Madonna. Heck, everything GaGa sings WAS good like 20 years ago when the real person who wrote that performed the song well. She just messed it up like a crappy necromancer of pop music.

I dident say she was "A music", i ment her as an artist.

And as said, you are now telling your opinion. Some people like lady gaga, some dosent.
Some people may not think MJ, Maroon 5 and madonna is good pop, but like gaga.

Good music =/= what others say is good.
Good music = Music that the person in question likes.
Quote by Sickz
I dident say she was "A music", i ment her as an artist.

And as said, you are now telling your opinion. Some people like lady gaga, some dosent.
Some people may not think MJ, Maroon 5 and madonna is good pop, but like gaga.

Good music =/= what others say is good.
Good music = Music that the person in question likes.

Every music is good?
Fine then i like the sound of my pet monkey clappings when he is introduced with a banana.
Quote by Sickz
Yes, now ive agreed with you completely oh mighty god of music.

Let the Demagogy competition start!
Yeah im outta this thread. Youre free to alter my posts as much as youd like...
Last edited by Standarduser at Oct 11, 2011,
Guys there is no such thing as good music and bad music, there is music you like and music you don;t like

Besides that : musicians are feelings manipulators, we all like some particular genres of music because of the feeling it gives us

2 persons can have the same feeling for 2 different genres: one from jazz and the other from deathcore.

I hope that i didn't offended anybody but that's how things go, just be open minded
The immaturity in this thread is absolutely ridiculous, the first few posts mocking the genre were funny, but the posts telling TS to not bother with deathcore because it's worthless and genuinely claiming it isn't worthwhile music are stupid. If deathcore is the music that excites you and inspires you then why should you be playing jazz because some guy on the internet told you it's 'better'? Play the music that actually makes you want to play. And, if people believe all deathcore is talentless and easy, well, listen to Born of Osiris' newest album, along with Veil of Maya, The Faceless, After the Burial...there are many bands in that style that playing interesting, challenging music. Of course there are shitty bands, but hell, there's some pretty shit jazz out there too. (I personally don't enjoy a lot of modern jazz due to my fondness for 50s/60s bop, but that's just me). There are good artists in every genre.
Quote by world-ablaze
The immaturity in this thread is absolutely ridiculous, the first few posts mocking the genre were funny, but the posts telling TS to not bother with deathcore because it's worthless and genuinely claiming it isn't worthwhile music are stupid. If deathcore is the music that excites you and inspires you then why should you be playing jazz because some guy on the internet told you it's 'better'? Play the music that actually makes you want to play. And, if people believe all deathcore is talentless and easy, well, listen to Born of Osiris' newest album, along with Veil of Maya, The Faceless, After the Burial...there are many bands in that style that playing interesting, challenging music. Of course there are shitty bands, but hell, there's some pretty shit jazz out there too. (I personally don't enjoy a lot of modern jazz due to my fondness for 50s/60s bop, but that's just me). There are good artists in every genre.

This is the point i was trying to make, you sumed it up well.
5 Step Process
-Learn Guitar (Arpeggio, Strum, Palm Mute, Chords and Scales (minor mainly for deathcore))
-Gather Influences (be it Deathcore, Death Metal, Black Metal, Thrash Metal Whatever)
-Pick Elements (Tuning, Key, Bpm, Mood etc..)
-Play around with your Scales and Chords in the most random ways possible waiting for the greatest riff ever made
-Once Greatest Song Ever is composed, Just add Breakdown
Quote by Ginsu
Are you saying a guitarist isn't good if they downtune? Because I'm pretty sure that downtuning is a preference.

Downtuning is a preference and doesn't mean you aren't good, but Deathcore uses it only to sound heavy and nothing else. There's little regard as to how they can actually make evil sounds without needing to use Drop Ab or some bull.

Deicide and Slayer play only a half-step down from standard tuning, and they're heavier and eviler than anything.
We're all alright!
......and death-core was the last thing left on your list of musical adventures? w/e have fun
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED