Page 1 of 2
My laptop blew up today. the Nvidia chip delaminated from the motherboard, and the laptop refuses to come apart to try to fix it (without breaking it at least). So I need a new one.

I am in a band, so I record a lot on it, because I don't record at my house, we go to the guitarist's house, 'cause he owns the drum set.

I am an avid gamer, so I need a decent video card in it. (my old laptop made Minecraft lag!)

I'm on a budget. Also, I'm not afraid to buy used, however, I would rather not.
Maybe you're just trying to take it apart wrong.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Minecraft uses a lot of resources...never seen it run smooth on any laptop, even good ones. just sayin...
Quote by gateway01
My laptop blew up today. the Nvidia chip delaminated from the motherboard, and the laptop refuses to come apart to try to fix it (without breaking it at least). So I need a new one.

I am in a band, so I record a lot on it, because I don't record at my house, we go to the guitarist's house, 'cause he owns the drum set.

I am an avid gamer, so I need a decent video card in it. (my old laptop made Minecraft lag!)

Quote by gateway01
avid gamer, laptop, $300

Nope.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Last edited by Primus2112 at Oct 9, 2011,
I guarantee there is no way you're getting a laptop that can record and run games decently for that price. Hell, you'd really need to spend about $600 to get an entry level laptop to do either of those things.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
if your budget is $300, you are getting a machine that can create word documents and send emails.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Quote by gateway01

I don't know why but that made me laugh more then it should have.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Get with the program, buy yourself an Asus EeePC, and surf the net and play emulated Pokemon like the rest of us...
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
You won't find a good laptop for $300, decent yes, but good, hell no.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Am I the only one who noticed the guy asking about cheap computers' name is "gateway01"?
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by JBaBR
Minecraft uses a lot of resources...never seen it run smooth on any laptop, even good ones. just sayin...

I've run a minecraft server on my laptop with 3-5 people playing, including myself. No lag for anyone, and smooth. :3

Even though my laptop still sucks.

OP: I'd say stray away from Toshiba, that's my current computer and it seems like it's built poorly, it can't handle very much stress. I had no problems with Acer in the past though.
Check out my lyrics! (C4C)

Critical Condition
Tombstone

Quote by SteveHouse
That's actually the point of this. Tell your inner editor to shut the fock up and just write.
Get a Gateway.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Quote by Gaiad
I've run a minecraft server on my laptop with 3-5 people playing, including myself. No lag for anyone, and smooth. :3

OP: I'd say stray away from Toshiba, that's my current computer and it seems like it's built poorly, it can't handle very much stress. I had no problems with Acer in the past though.

There's actually been lots of independent market studies done over the years that have shown that Toshiba and Asus make some of the most reliable laptops on the market, as far ac PCs go.
How about stop being a cheap ass.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
You seriously think you can get a laptop that can run Minecraft well for under 300 bucks?
ggg1 ggg3

I am on a toshiba laptop right now...it was about 500$ new from wallmart. So used on ebay or some shit you could get it for around what you are looking for...hm...let me see if i can find the name for it... Satellite L645D...It has 3 gigs of ram....and a like 300 gigs of storage....it can run halo on the highest setting with no lag....it might not able to handle some newer games with ridiculous settings but....it does very well for the price....

Toshiba's are actually a very good buy. I have seen 1000$ laptops lag on games that run smoothly on mine....
I haz gotten gud
Quote by jetfuel495
There's actually been lots of independent market studies done over the years that have shown that Toshiba and Asus make some of the most reliable laptops on the market, as far ac PCs go.

Yeah, I've heard that too. But I know my Acer lasted me a good three years before anything significant went wrong with it, and even then, all it was was a worn out screen and a dead battery.

This Toshiba I've had for a year has a dead battery, the innards of the computer fry more every day, constantly running anywhere between 60-90 degrees Celsius. I have an external fan that is necessary or the computer will blue screen and quit on me. And I had to replace the left mouse button just a few months into owning it.

Can't say my usage between the two are hugely different other than I started playing Minecraft and hosting a server for it on this computer.

Critical Condition
Tombstone

Quote by SteveHouse
That's actually the point of this. Tell your inner editor to shut the fock up and just write.
Quote by Gaiad

Asus Toshiba and Apple most reliable computers

Acer and HP most unreliable

your post fail
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Edit: ^I agree with Acer, HP, and Apple, but as my old Toshiba Satellite had a grand total of six motherboard failures in four years of life(And that was only its biggest issue - that computer was riddled with more setbacks than Duke Nukem Forever's development history), with the most intensive thing it had to do being an N64 game ported to a computer, I'm going to give a big "hell naw" on Toshiba being reliable. Lenovo maybe, Toshiba no.

Not sure if troll, but not a lot of effort in a response, so not a big issue.

At $300 you'll be lucky to get anything more than a netbook. Let alone something to game on.

Think about it like a car - if you cheap out and buy a cheap Hyundai, it's going to work like crap, feel like crap, and break down a lot, because it's crap.

But if you save up and buy a decent car, it'll actually handle well because it was built using components that can actually perform at speeds over 15 MPH, it'll feel good because the seats will be leather instead of hard plastic, and it'll be more durable because, again, it's made to run well, not just look like it.

If you buy a crap computer, it'll be dead in year. Especially with a laptop. Save up, buy something nice.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Oct 9, 2011,
Quote by necrosis1193
Edit: ^I agree with Acer, HP, and Apple, but as my old Toshiba Satellite had a grand total of six motherboard failures in four years of life(And that was only its biggest issue - that computer was riddled with more setbacks than Duke Nukem Forever's development history), with the most intensive thing it had to do being an N64 game ported to a computer, I'm going to give a big "hell naw" on Toshiba being reliable. Lenovo maybe, Toshiba no.

guess u had a bad model, my buddy (who deals and has tonnes of cash) is still using a toshiba satellite windows xp he bought in 3rd yr high school, (we are 4th yr uni) so his has been tanking along for quite a while
http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/17/laptop-reliability-survey-asus-and-toshiba-win-hp-fails/

Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by necrosis1193
I'm going to give a big "hell naw" on Toshiba being reliable.
Just do a Google search for market studies regarding laptop brand reliability. You'll find that when compared to most brands, Toshiba is actually relatively reliable with a fewer percentage of laptops breaking down within the first however many years

http://moneywatch.bnet.com/saving-money/blog/family-finance/the-most-reliable-laptops/4009/

There's lots of articles like this saying the same thing.

EDIT: ^His post.
Well, damn. Either they've shaped up immensely, or the one I owned was their equivalent to the Newton.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by JimmyBanks6

your post fail

Just speaking from personal experience, yo.

I gave the Acer to a friend and it's still running just fine, hasn't a single problem currently, and it's been going for 4 or so years. This Toshiba has barely lasted a year, and I'm sure it's about to die.

Critical Condition
Tombstone

Quote by SteveHouse
I have a ton of stuff made by Asus.

Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Quote by Gyroscope
I have a ton of stuff made by Asus.

Asus is awesome

TS, for $300 you aint getting shit, a decent new laptop can cost $500+
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
I got a Toshiba laptop in 08 it still runs great to this day but since i got my dekstop august 2010 it has been demoted to full time downloading uploading machine. I fried the battery after two years of like never unplugging it. To this day it's still on 10-12 hours a day but dosent get used for any super CPU heavy tasks.
Acers make decent monitors...but let's not kid about their computers.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by necrosis1193

Not sure if troll, but not a lot of effort in a response, so not a big issue.

At $300 you'll be lucky to get anything more than a netbook. Let alone something to game on.

Think about it like a car - if you cheap out and buy a cheap Hyundai, it's going to work like crap, feel like crap, and break down a lot, because it's crap.

But if you save up and buy a decent car, it'll actually handle well because it was built using components that can actually perform at speeds over 15 MPH, it'll feel good because the seats will be leather instead of hard plastic, and it'll be more durable because, again, it's made to run well, not just look like it.

If you buy a crap computer, it'll be dead in year. Especially with a laptop. Save up, buy something nice.

My Toshiba Satellite still runs. It's an older Vista model and I haven't had any problems with it. Minecraft kinda lags, but it is an older computer.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by JimmyBanks6

your post fail

+1 HP lappies can be quite bad, my friend bought a 22" monster and there's been no problem with it as far as I know but I've also seen a cheap version thats only vents were on the bottom. Wtf? I Know Guys Let's Hide The Vents In A Place Where They're Always Blocked It Surely Won't Overheat!

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

1) I'm aware HP's are not good.
2) I'm going to guess that 99% of you are rich, smart asses who think that everyone has $600+ to spare.
3) I'm 15, and my parents said my budget is $300. I WOULD have a higher budget, if I had my own money, but I have $15 that I've actually been SAVING. Therefore I have no income to save FOR a higher budget.

Not looking for some government quality laptop here.

But thank you for being assholes.
^No, we're not. Cheaper laptops cannot run even Minecraft, because they use integrated cards and the best integrated card I've come across (Intel HD Graphics 3000) runs Minecraft on 10 FPS. I've seen it on 400$ laptops even. Integrated cards are more for playing videos and would perform badly in games.

Recording is also a heavy task for a processor, but you should get it decently with using little to no effects and keep the track count reasonable.

Nothing we say could change that fact.
Last edited by GisleAune at Oct 10, 2011,
Page 1 of 2