Hi, I live in Australia and due to a few reasons, particularly the insanely high price of guitar gear over here, I've been interested in future purchases online... Was wondering if anyone from Aus has had good experience with any online sellers? I know of Thomann but no others that offer a wide selection and ship to Aus...

Also, even if you arent living here, any help regarding online stores and postage would help a lot. Thanks
Musiciansfriend.com was shipping to AU awhile back, I'm not sure they still are or not.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
So far I've only bought online from inside Australia.

eBay is a pretty good place to look, but you should always talk to the seller. Ask them about their refund policy, ask them to test the guitar personally before they send it, ask them how they will pack it, and ask ask if they have shipping insurance, and if they do, make sure it doesn't cost you extra before you decide to buy it.

If at all possible, try out the model you're planning on buying at a local shop before ordering it online. Before my recent purchase I travelled 5 hours to try it out before committing to buying it. It was $1200 at that shop, but only $700 online. I spent $200 on my trip, (all on alcohol and entertainment, the guitar wasn't the sole purpose of my trip,) so even if you add that I saved $300. I haven't heard of anybody travelling far to try out a guitar, but if you're looking to spend a significant amount of money online and you can't find one to try out in your town, it might just be worth it.
Last edited by Butt Rayge at Oct 9, 2011,
Ebay's great. Never played the guitar, seemed like a trustworthy business.

It was a $800 PRS Brand new Custom 22 singlecut so naturally I didn't care how'd it would play. It'd play amazing it's a PRS after all.. lol
Quote by Mr.-Bungle
Ebay's great. Never played the guitar, seemed like a trustworthy business.

It was a $800 PRS Brand new Custom 22 singlecut so naturally I didn't care how'd it would play. It'd play amazing it's a PRS after all.. lol

Same story with my new ESP Horizon. Payed $1400 (not inc. shipping from America) for something that retails for over $2500 in stores here. Although, I did try out the same models at a few local stores before.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
I bought my rg7420 through eBay, but it was Aussie based, so no problem there. When i was in the market for ergs, I stumbled across Drum City Guitar Land. They are based in the US, and seem pretty good - seeing as they offer a setup for the guitar you bought free of charge.

Last time i checked, Musicians Friend and Guitar Center don't ship all their products to Aus due tp contracts with manufacturers, but you could always find a mail forwarder, a little more expensive but hey, cheaper than Australia still

Also, be aware of the 15% (or 10%, correct me if i'm wrong) import tax you must pay if you're buying something with value over $1000

Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
The Mad Ape was very good, with superb customer service shipping all the way here to Perth
::::::Cherry Epiphone Les Paul Standard Custom Shop With Bigsby:::::
::::::Vox AC15VR::::::
What are you interested in buying? If you specify, some users might be able to point you in the right direction.

If you're not sure what you want yet try out everything you can and then you could probably post another thread asking specifics. It's probably best to try out everything you think you might like before making a decision, rather than half making a decision, trying it out and then changing your mind.
Quote by Edox442
Hi, I live in Australia and due to a few reasons, particularly the insanely high price of guitar gear over here, I've been interested in future purchases online... Was wondering if anyone from Aus has had good experience with any online sellers? I know of Thomann but no others that offer a wide selection and ship to Aus...

Also, even if you arent living here, any help regarding online stores and postage would help a lot. Thanks

I've ordered a number of pedals from the US via ebay and my Schecter Loomis from a guy up North in Aus over ebay. Providing you buy from a reputable seller, paticuarly US powersellers with thousands of 5 star ratings you really don't have much to worry about. Just make sure anything posted is insured, if anything the most likely thing to go wrong is australia post will **** up.
The gear:

* Epiphone Les Paul Custom
* Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 String
* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
^ Good advice.

Forgot to mention, buy from a reputable seller (anybody with a high positive feedback and across the board high feedback ratings.) Read any negative reviews they receive and see how they respond to it. If they've got a great reputation, and they respond to any negative feedback with refunds/compensation, profuse apology and other attempted reparations, you're probably in luck.