Maple body guitars are incredibly bright sounding. They’re great for pop and funk and not a whole lot else. Prince has been using an all-maple Anderson tele copy since the late 1970s, it pretty much defined his bright guitar tone until he switched to the cloud and Ed Roman guitars around 89–91. And they’re quite heavy, which is one reason they are so rare.
I'm sure with the right amp you could make it dark sounding.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
I have a maple Carvin. Pickups are a bitch to find a perfect match for that guitar. I've found that single coils work a lot better in maple than humbuckers, ironically. Probably because the brightness of maple is in the high mids and not the treble. The humbucker just adds way too much (many?) mids. An overwound telecaster bridge would probably fair pretty well in maple
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

i had a maple body strat copy back in the 80s and it weighed a ton. even LP players were like damn that's a heavy guitar. very bright sounding for sure. make sure if you go this route to find darker sounding pickups.
Basses are made from soft maple though it's quite rare.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
It would likely sound rather shrill. Pickup and pot choice would be critical.

If you're looking to build a Tele out of something besides alder or ash, why not rosewood?

It is a thing of beauty.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
just from observing the tone of two identical strats with one havnig a maple board and the other on a rosewood, there was indeed a noticable difference. the maple had more of a snap to it, a little more attack. the rosewood souned more well balanced.\

i tested the difference a few years ago when i had too many strats. the two strats had the same stock pickups, same year and about the same weight.

but just having the fretboard changed making the effect that it did, i could imagine that an all maple body would be bright to the point to where you wouldn't be able to tame it.

i read somewhere that Les Paul (the actual man, not the guitar) origionally wanted gibson to make his signature guitar (the Les Paul... lol) out of all maple, but gibson either advised against it or they strung an agreement with the top being maple and the back a darker and lighter wood which was at the time mahogany. (this part is accurate as it can be because i haven't seen his documentary for a year or so.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Maple bodies sound stupidly bright. Too bright really. Good luck getting pickups to balance it and get used to using a weird EQ on your amp. They will also weigh a lot. But they'll sustain a note for days.

Though tone wood is a term for acoustic building, it doesn't apply to electric guitars really.
For starters, the whole tonewood thing is garbage. you could have everything bolted to a chunk of concrete and it would sound fine.

Second, maple is extremely heavy. far too heavy to use for a body.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Quote by CJ Noble
For starters, the whole tonewood thing is garbage. you could have everything bolted to a chunk of concrete and it would sound fine.

Second, maple is extremely heavy. far too heavy to use for a body.

Actually, you couldn't. In the 1970s, Fender experimented with guitars made of solid granite and marble and they sounded like hell. Ibanez made a version of the Artist model in 1979 that was solid brass: the body, the neck and the headstock. Not only was it overly shrill, but it weighed 67 pounds so it was definitely a "sitting down" guitar. Of course, James Trussart makes his out of steel and a lot of people seem to like them.

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
Actually, you couldn't. In the 1970s, Fender experimented with guitars made of solid granite and marble and they sounded like hell. Ibanez made a version of the Artist model in 1979 that was solid brass: the body, the neck and the headstock. Not only was it overly shrill, but it weighed 67 pounds so it was definitely a "sitting down" guitar. Of course, James Trussart makes his out of steel and a lot of people seem to like them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_GuPi3yJrk&NR=1
sounds fine to me

also don't forget the sustain these things have
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My_chJj2ph4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-azkQAlwRdI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F2SHlfB8YE
try to guess which is the slab of concrete and which is the burns marquee
Last edited by CJ Noble at Oct 10, 2011,
Quote by CJ Noble

Do you really want to have this conversation? Again?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I knew it would be heavy and bright, but is there anything else this guitar has? This whole thread has been focused on how heavy and bright it's going to be, aren't there any other things this guitar can do?
And for the pickup and pots
4 Gibson 500k (tone and volume)
1 Duncan Designed P-90 (yes, because it sounds so rich and full)
and 1 Seymour Duncan Invader (bridge)

Duncan Designed P-90:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XsPJ8OrCSo&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
Quote by dragonkidkoga
I knew it would be heavy and bright, but is there anything else this guitar has? This whole thread has been focused on how heavy and bright it's going to be, aren't there any other things this guitar can do?
No, there isn't. Maple is very heavy and very bright. That's the extent of it. Sustain is another thing to mention but that also depends on the neck and how well the guitar is fitted together.

And for the pickup and pots
4 Gibson 500k (tone and volume)
1 Duncan Designed P-90 (yes, because it sounds so rich and full)
and 1 Seymour Duncan Invader (bridge)
You're going to want to change the pots to a 300k volume and 500k tone, the way Gibson does it. Especially for the P-90. It would be a good idea for the humbucker as well. It'll help balance out the maple a little bit.

And don't use an Invader. That's a recipe for disaster with maple. Any ceramic pickup in maple is a bad idea but ceramic, cap screws and overwound? It's going to sound like an EMG with the battery dying. The Invader is a hard pickup to get sounding good at the best of times, let alone in a guitar like this.

Stick to something alnico. SD Alternative 8 will give you huge output like the Invader but be much smoother, balance the maple better. If you don't need the output. which I suspect you don't if you're using a P-90, use a Custom 5 which will smooth out the maple's tone very nicely while still giving you a precise low-end and moderate output. A SD 59 or a DM PAF Pro would be great for perfect balance with the P90 and still be tight enough for any kind of hard rock or even metal, if your amp is up to the job.

And do not use the duncan deigned P-90. That video clip shows nothing, the guy is recording through a modeller. For all you know he could have doubled the bass and mids 200%, that practially sounds like a humbucker. If you're going to use a P--90 and you want something cheap then at least look at Tonerider, Irongear, Wilkinson, something like that. But really it seems bizarre to be making a custom guitar build with a brand name bridge pickup and cheap out on the neck pickup. Especially with something like a P-90 where there is so much variance and there are so many bad ones about.
why exactly are you interested in making the entire guitar out of solid maple?

if you really like the looks that much, put a maple top on it, as well as a maple back, stain the front and back the way desired, and paint the edges of the body to go with the stain colors.

just a thought.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by dragonkidkoga

No. That’s why you have to get maple guitars custom made in the first place.
I wonder how many people who are complaining about it being TOO heavy or TOO bright have actually owned and played with a maple guitar?

I have had a solid rock-maple G&L SC-3 since 1989 and play it every day. It is heavy, but it isn't TOO heavy. It's got some mass but I can play it sitting and standing for a good few hours at a time. It was shop bought and definitely not custom made.

It also isn't TOO bright. It has single coils and as someone mentioned above, the punch comes from the upper-mids, not the treble. It cuts through. very well indeed. I can use the tone pot to get some tremendous tones from it that cut through nicely without taking your head off, or I can make it like a glass scalpel if I want, or I can warm it up by rolling more tone off and it won't go dull like many guitars I can mention that sound like wet blankets when you roll the tone off.

With the right amp and settings it is warm and sustains for ever. If you don't think you are skilfull enough to play one then avoid a solidl maple guitar by all means, but they are great, flexible instruments if you have the talent to be able to turn the tone pot a little bit to get the best from the guitar and amp.

So, all those who are concerned that they are TOO bright or TOO heavy, can you at least qualify your answers by also letting us know what maple guitar you OWN, and for how long you have owned it. That way we can be sure we are dealing with facts and not supposition masquerading as "fact".
Quote by deano_l

So, all those who are concerned that they are TOO bright or TOO heavy, can you at least qualify your answers by also letting us know what maple guitar you OWN, and for how long you have owned it. That way we can be sure we are dealing with facts and not supposition masquerading as "fact".
I've got a Gibson Melody Maker V which is all-maple, an all-maple Kramer and a maple-bodied Jazzmaster with a maple and rosewood neck.

All of them are too heavy and too bright. Iv'e balanced them all now but it's taken many pickup swaps to get the tones right. I keep them for the monster sustain and little else, nine times out of ten I don't even think about touching them.
Quote by grohl1987
I've got a Gibson Melody Maker V which is all-maple, an all-maple Kramer and a maple-bodied Jazzmaster with a maple and rosewood neck.

All of them are too heavy and too bright. Iv'e balanced them all now but it's taken many pickup swaps to get the tones right. I keep them for the monster sustain and little else, nine times out of ten I don't even think about touching them.

Then your opinion is valid and I respect that. However saying they are TOO heavy or bright implies some standard of weight or tone that all-maple guitars fail to meet. That is not true of course. It is subjective. What may be heavy for you is not heavy for me, my guitar may be built differently, be more comfortable or the strap I use mught spread the weight better, and the tone of course depends on your ears, the music you play or indeed, whether you have a headache or not!

I don't see the value in telling someone to avoid a particular wood instead of telling them to try one out for themselves. It might be the answer to their prayers. You admit that you have now got a good tone and the sustain is excellent. Someone else might have got the tone they want quicker, and teh sustain might be exactly what they want.

To write off all guitars made from maple as too this or too that, is missing the point; all instruments are unique and all will find a place somewhere if that's what appeals to you.
Well, I've not yet told him not to use maple. I've just stated the many problems it has. Perhaps I should word it better: maple is heavier than most other woords, significantly brighter than most other woods and it can be hard to pick out hardware and electronics that will counter balance the brightness well enough to achieve a conventional tone.
I've got an all maple B.C. Rich from the 80's with a rosewood fretboard. Love it. It will cut through any mix, squeals and harmonics scream off that thing. Most people think it's retarded because it's not the "Les Paul" sound. To each his own.
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
Quote by Offworld92
Do you really want to have this conversation? Again?

I haven't had this conversation before.