Check out the Yellow Matter Custard version
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
thank you so much man, this solo is just badass as hell, amazing playing and now itll be a lot easier to get into how he felt this... tabbings still a bitch but htank you
Quote by stevenadlerlive
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifp_SVrlurY

Now THAT is awesome. But, what is prince playing? I can figure out tabs, but I'm not getting the composition really, does he change it up? Sounds like harmonic to me, sry not that good. Thank you

Mostly minor pentatonic/minor. a bit of dorian. So yeah he changes it up a bit. All minor stuff, but if you want a technical term you could say there is a little bit of "modal mixture". not much though.... it's like 1 lick where he does a half step bend from F# to G and then climbs down the scale/mode for the rest of the lick.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Oct 9, 2011,
Key = A minor, Scale = A minor with accidentals.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by stevenadlerlive
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifp_SVrlurY

Now THAT is awesome. But, what is prince playing? I can figure out tabs, but I'm not getting the composition really, does he change it up? Sounds like harmonic to me, sry not that good. Thank you

He's such a dude. The bulk of the song is in Am, but watch out for the middle eight, Prince actually lands on the C# to signal a change to the key of A Major. Touch of class!
Last edited by mdc at Oct 10, 2011,
Quote by AlanHB
Key = A minor, Scale = A minor with accidentals.

As a description this is probably the most technically correct but the least useful for imagining how it sounds.
Quote by AlanHB
Scale = A minor with accidentals.

There is no such scale.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
There is no such scale.

Would you like me to explain?
Soundcloud
for me yes lol and tell me this song is in e standard and not an open tuning like i think it is... i dont know how scales transform like that yet
Quote by AlanHB
Would you like me to explain?

Not really, I understand what you're trying to do.

Truth is, there is no scale called "minor with accidentals". While you could use the term as a way of simplifying the overall harmonic context, as in "it's in Am", it's not descriptive enough to explain what Prince was doing in his solo, which is what the TS asked for.

So, you're right about the key, but not about the scales used.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Oct 10, 2011,
Quote by GuitarMunky
Not really, I understand what you're trying to do.

Truth is, there is no scale called "minor with accidentals". While you could use the term as a way of simplifying the overall harmonic context, as in "it's in Am", it's not descriptive enough to explain what Prince was doing in his solo, which is what the TS asked for.

So, you're right about the key, but not about the scales used.

I think you're just being a bit picky mate.

The vast majority of it is in A minor. Accidentals are also used.

The main issue that I would address with TS (and most who ask this question) is that he's probably not able to identify the key of the song yet, or aware that A minor stretches beyond a 5-8th fret box shape, or that you can use any notes as accidentals whilst playing in a key. For this reason I will take steps to make my answer as simple as possible. Identify key, identify scale. You can do it at home kids.
Soundcloud