I am planning on getting a guitar (Ibanez ICT700) that unfortunately isn't available in a satin finished neck. Is there any way other sanding that might improve the feel of the gloss neck as I am not comfortable sanding since I have no experience and I cant risk messing the guitar up?

THX
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
Any good tech can sand the finish off if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, and it shouldn't be too expensive. Beyond that, I don't know how you'd make the neck feel less sticky if it has a thick clearcoat finish on it.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
Any good tech can sand the finish off if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, and it shouldn't be too expensive. Beyond that, I don't know how you'd make the neck feel less sticky if it has a thick clearcoat finish on it.

Do you think it will have any adverse effect on the neck in terms of durability, tone or any other aspect?

The best way is to get a lot of wet&dry sandpaper, use it toally dry and just spend an hour or so rubbing the neck down with a few sheets. Depending on how thick the finish is you might be doing it a while, but dry wet&dry paper takes off so little of the finish at a time that you can't possibly mess it up. Slow and steady wins the race and all that.
Quote by breakstuff
Do you think it will have any adverse effect on the neck in terms of durability, tone or any other aspect?

Tone? No. As for durability, the only necks that ever seem to warp badly are unfinished necks. If you put a satin finish on it, it will not have any problems. And most unfinished necks don't experience problems. But if you live in an extremely humid climate, then it is a mild risk to leave it bare.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Use some 000 steel wool on the back of the neck
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Use some 000 steel wool on the back of the neck

Get the equivalent ScothBrite pad (the green ones, you can usually find them in hardware stores) and use that instead. It works like steel wool (and usually has what the equivalent grade of steel wool printed on the packaging) but you don't have little filings falling down and getting stuck to the magnets in your pickups. You could use brass wool too but I've found that the green pads work best.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by barden1069
Get the equivalent ScothBrite pad (the green ones, you can usually find them in hardware stores) and use that instead. It works like steel wool (and usually has what the equivalent grade of steel wool printed on the packaging) but you don't have little filings falling down and getting stuck to the magnets in your pickups. You could use brass wool too but I've found that the green pads work best.

Nice tip to know in the future
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by barden1069

Great tip, thanks.

Try to wipe the back of the neck clean with a soft rag and wash your hand with soap. After that, butterly smooth.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by hminh87
Try to wipe the back of the neck clean with a soft rag and wash your hand with soap. After that, butterly smooth.

I just prefer the feel and playability of unfinshed/satin necks. My hygiene is top-notch so don't worry about that.

Quote by JustRooster
It's an Ibanez, just buy a new neck.

lol good shit
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
lol good shit

Yeah, a new neck would be a great idea considering it is a neck through guitar.