Hey guys,
I have been thinking lately that I should probably buy a new amp, as my current one is pretty crappy. I'm willing to spend between $200-$400, I plan to be using it with my new ESP LTD F-50. I'm looking for something that will last me awhile, for just around home not for playing live or anything, and that will give me good tone for a fair range of metal.

Thanks in advance
For that price, I'd recommend one of the Vox Valvetronix modelling amps or a peavey Vypyr.
Quote by Nomack
Next hendrix is like a a sidesplitting triumph of slapstick and scatology, a runaway moneymaker and budding franchise, the worst thing to happen to Kazakhstan since the Mongol hordes, and, a communist.

This is my sig!
wut.

Peavey Vypyr 30. Does metal better than the Vox.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Sorry for the late reply I've been busy.
Thanks for the responses, will look into them
Peavey Ultra head.

Ive seen them go for 150-250 usd and they are good amps. They will not only do metal but if you jam with people or gig it will keep up. Should be able to score a cheap 2x12 or 4x12 cab for the rest. Best metal setup IMO for under $600
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/index.cfm?page=7&srch&q=ultra&distance=100&sort=price&dir=asc

Here is a peavey ultra 2x12 combo on guitarcenter.com/used for $250. shipping will probably take you to 300 or so but still well within budget and a kick ass metal amp that sounds great and is all tube. Beats the shit out of any modeling amp Ive heard close to your budget.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by bluestratplayer
http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/index.cfm?page=7&srch&q=ultra&distance=100&sort=price&dir=asc

Here is a peavey ultra 2x12 combo on guitarcenter.com/used for $250. shipping will probably take you to 300 or so but still well within budget and a kick ass metal amp that sounds great and is all tube. Beats the shit out of any modeling amp Ive heard close to your budget.

Faultless suggestion. Buy it before somebody else does.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thank you sir. Haha I thought for a brief moment about not suggesting this to the TS and buying it for a backup rig. Also there is a Ultra head for 325 on the next page if you have a cheap cab or access to one I would suggest it because with a good cab this head would kick ass.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Also, just in case TS doesn't know, the peavey Ultra because the XXX which turned into the 3120. They are pretty much the same amp and are very good especially considering the insanely cheap prices they go for used.

Just throwing that out there to help TS hopefully figure out how much better this amp is for metal than the bullshit amps the others have suggested for him/her.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by bluestratplayer

That's a REALLY damn good price. I wouldn't say the Ultra is the best deal under $600 though. You can also get the XXX, which is better for metal. The Ultra has better crunch though.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The Ultra is a great amp. JSX is just a modded Ultra too. There's a whole spawn of ultra offspring out in the wild.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
True. Thats why I suggest it for anyone with a budget of 400 or less that wants to play metal. IMO its better than what bugera offers at least for now because of the insanely low price they go for used. I seriously still kick myself for not buying the Peavey Ultra head I found used for $175 when I bought my Carvin V3. I had enough money to buy both heads and a cab but only bought the carvin head and a cab.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Peavey 3120 with a Mesa Rectifier cab FTW
My Shit:
Gibson Les Paul Studio Platinum (w/ SD Blackouts)
Epi Korina Explorer
Peavey 3120 (w/Mesa Rectifier cab)

Dunlop CryBaby Classic
MXR Phase 90
MXR Micro Chorus
MXR Micro Flanger
MXR Carbon Copy
MXR SmartGate
Digitech Whammy
Quote by AngryDeli
Peavey 3120 with a Mesa Rectifier cab FTW

wat?

No one cares about your gear.

TS: Used Vypyr Tube 60. I also like the Peavey Ultra idea, you'd prbably be better off with that.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
You can get a used Ampeg VH140C for 300-400 or a new Bugera 6262 for around $600.

I imagine both of these would destroy a Peavey Ultra or XXX
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness