Hi all!

I've been getting heavily into flamenco over the past year, namely Rodrigo y Gabriela and Jesse Cook, and I'm considering investing in a nylon string acoustic. This is an area I know virtually nothing about!

My budget would be around $800AUD (could push it to $1000 if I found something I love.) I do want it to have an in-built pickup system as well.

Also, if anyone can point me in the direction of artists like the ones mentioned above that'd be great! Really want to explore the style!

Thanks in advance!

Bicko
Fender USA Standard Stratocaster
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Tonerider British Distortion
Tonerider American Overdrive
Boss DD7
Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker
Treble Booster.
Strictly speaking Rodrigo y Gabriela and Jesse Cook are not flamenco. I'm not saying this to be picky or elitist, but as a way of pointing out that flamenco might not be what you think it is.

The first thing I would do is listen to some flamenco artists like Paco de Lucía, Vincente Amigo (as another_dave wisely said), Paco Peña & Tomatito, and research the style a bit. If you like what you hear and are ready for a lot of practise and commitment (flamenco is REALLY hard) then a flamenco guitar is what you want. If not a classical guitar would better suit, probably.

Flamenco and classical guitars do look similar, but their construction differs quite a lot. You could get by playing flamenco on a classical guitar, but the real deal makes life so much easier. A little research will go a long way!
I recently purchased a Yamaha CG172SF flamenco model for £350 and it's pretty amazing for the money.

Good Luck!
Cmd. Cool is right.. There's a lot of Latin and Latin-jazz music floating around that has certain influences from Flamenco, but the real stuff is very traditional music intended primarily to accompany dancers.
The Flamenco guitar is lightly constructed, usually with a cedar top and "golpeador" (tap plate) for the percussive tapping techniques. Also, friction tuners rather than modern machine tuners.
However, if you're into the general nylon-string Latin music scene, then any classical guitar of good quality will likely serve you well.