I Am currently considering purchasing a multiple effects pedal. I will be using this pedal for at home use only. I can get either pedal for approx. the same price, about $30 more when you factor in the price of an AC adaptor for the ME 25 ( I refuse to be bothered changing batteries). I will be using the pedal with a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe amp. I have been playing for 2 years and wish to add effects to my sound without the expense of adding a bunch of single pedals. Which would you recommend considering ease of use, sound quality and features.
I recommend the digitech rp355 and the zoom g3. Both are $200 new and come with an AC adpater. They sound great and have many more features than the me25 and probably the tonelab ex. Check out my recordings below for some clips of the rp355.
http://www.digitech.com/en-US/products/rp355
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/G3
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Last edited by kutless999 at Oct 10, 2011,
Wait, so you won't need amp modelling, but FX only? In that case I'd recommend something designed for the purpose, such as a TC Electronic Nova System or a Line 6 M series unit.

EDIT: A Line 6 M13 would be really versatile, but in my opinion the Nova System beats it in terms of tone quality.
Last edited by Jyrgen at Oct 10, 2011,
Yeah, I agree, the Nova System is great, but costs way to much...for FX only go for the Line 6 M13
Quote by Brandeis
Yeah, I agree, the Nova System is great, but costs way to much...for FX only go for the Line 6 M13

In Europe, the M13 is like 140€ more expensive than the Nova
Quote by Jyrgen
In Europe, the M13 is like 140€ more expensive than the Nova

Yep... And from what I've heard, Nova's better too.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

dude get a vox tonelab i have one and i would highly recommend it, its got possibly every effect you'll need and it comes with a tuner too which is relatively useful if your like me and need to keep switching from standard to drop c all the time
Quote by jackdude500
dude get a vox tonelab i have one and i would highly recommend it, its got possibly every effect you'll need and it comes with a tuner too which is relatively useful if your like me and need to keep switching from standard to drop c all the time

AFAIK, Tonelab can't do multiple FX at once though
From what I know isn't the Tonelab more of a amp modeler first and an ME unit second? I have owned a ME-50 the older slightly larger version of the ME-25 and have to say that for what it is I couldn't really fault it bar the fact I found the sound of it a little generic. Having said that it's up to you and what you think sounds good I know that the Zoom G3 as mentioned above has been getting some pretty good reviews it may not hurt to look into it as it isn't too expensive.
The ME-25 is not a pedal FX like the ME-50. It's a regular amp sim multifx.

The Tonelab EX is $100 more than the ME-25. So you would think if you could get it for the same as the ME-25 then you should get the EX. However the EX has no looper, so I wouldn't want it. YMMV but @ $300 for the EX it's not even on my radar.

The G3 is a great pedal. But you will need to add another $30 for an M-Audio EX-P pedal.
I tried both the boss and the vox ST along with the digitech RP500 (not sure how much things are over there, but they're all a similar-ish price over here in the UK). I ended up buying the digitech. The vox sounded AMAZING, but was incredibly hard to use. I'm presuming like most pedals you will get used to it over time, but it was very frustrating not to be able to get the sounds i wanted because i had no idea what all the buttons and things did :S. Features i'm afraid i dont know much about - I hadnt originally considered the vox, hence had done no research etc, and discounted it after a few minutes of use.
The boss was a bit easier to use than the vox (still not amazingly simple, but i at least knew where to begin), however it didnt sound as good. The vox had amazing distortion models, and its wah was also good. The boss' one main side effect for me was that it only had 3 stomp switches. I find the stompbox mode on my RP500 brilliant - i am instantly able to engage any one of 5 common effects without having to create a new patch. However, I also like switching patches quickly. The fact that you cannot do this on the ME25 was a big flaw.
And then on to the digitech. Digitech's "grid" is by far the easiest to use: a big grid with parameters in, where you select the correct row for your effect and the columns correspond to the knobs. For example, highlighting the "distortion" row, the first knob changes the stompbox type, the second is the gain etc. The way i've worded it makes it sound more complecated than it is! It is all laid out nicely and is very simple.
Another big plus is the ability to name patches as well as give them a number. Instead of having to remember which number goes with which song, you can just give them an appropriate name.
The digitech also comes with very easy to use software, so you can hook the pedal up to your computer to create patches. Quite a few MFX pedals come with this but i only have experience with digitech's.
Two slight drawbacks are the tuner and the tone quality of the distortion. The tuner does the job, but isnt brilliant. Better than no tuner, but not as good as a seperate tuner like the Korg Pitchblack or PolyTune. The distortion is acceptable, and in some cases quite nice, however it cannot beat a tube amp's. However, since i HAVE a tube amp, this doesnt bother me, and the pro's of this pedal greatly outweigh this con.

Sorry for such a long reply, but i hope it helps! .
My experience choosing between the ST and the ME was a little different. Tone wise I thought they were about the same. Ergonomics (i.e. ease of use) I thought the ST was easier than the ME-25. However, the ST just lacked features. Mod and delay were not separate. No looper on the ST and the ME-25 had the freeze, which is basically a $120 pedal from EHX if you want one. Plus the ME-25 uses the expression pedal on the freeze, which the EHX can't.

Bottom line was that Vox was resting on their "I've got a tube laurels", which meant nothing to me. Absolutely a drawback of the ME-25 is the lack of more footswitch control. Right now I paired up my ME-25 with a Zoom G3 for a lot of versatility.

Examples....

ME-25 - Sneaky and Unsynced Jam

ME-25 paired with G3 - Jelly Jam