I couldn't accurately make the thread title what I wanted it it to be, but basically, what are some songs that you heard, which surprised you when you compare it to other songs the artist made?

For example, mine happened in reverse. I heard this song, and then bought the album thinking the whole thing would be like this.
Fifteen Fathoms, Counting - Bring Me The Horizon

Another I can think of is Three Of A Perfect Pair - BTBAM (just because of how different I'd known their other stuff to be.)
(EDIT: I'm aware that this is a cover, which makes it different, but still, it's unique.)

So, go!
Last edited by tyler_j at Oct 10, 2011,
Forsaken by Dream Theater. It's actually a good song that doesn't have an extended section of obnoxious keyboards and stale riffing.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
hard sciences don't have correct and incorrect answers actually
"Trainfire" by Devin Townsend. He's chugging along with a dark, heavy, atmospheric metal album, and suddenly he transforms into Elvis.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
"A Little Piece of Heaven"- Avenged Sevenfold. Now, their self-titled was pretty experimental by their standards, but the first time I heard this song, I just kinda stopped what I was doing and listened intently.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
Quote by StewieSwan
Forsaken by Dream Theater. It's actually a good song that doesn't have an extended section of obnoxious keyboards and stale riffing.

Good joke! Tell me another one.
Quote by StewieSwan

and it begins.
Blues, classical, metal. Who says you cant love all 3?
Quote by Vitor_vdp

Good joke! Tell me another one.

He's not wrong

OT
I remember years ago hearing this in high school and it caught me right off guard.
Quote by SkepsisMetal
He's not wrong

OT
I remember years ago hearing this in high school and it caught me right off guard.

Wow, that's ...yeah, really different.
I'm a reasonably big fan of them, but I've never actually heard this before, and I'm ...pleasently surprised
Listen to a Bring Me the Horizon song, you say?

Rot in hell, I say.
XBL GamerTag = IAmSentient6

My gear:
Ibanez Artist
ESP ltd Viper 200
Schecter Diamond 8

Amps:
Marhshall MG30 (for sale)
Line 6 Spider III Half Stack (mine forever)
Interested in Melodic Thrash Metal? ALUSTRIUM AND LAST NAIL DRIVEN!
Quote by CaRveItiNbass
Listen to a Bring Me the Horizon song, you say?

Rot in hell, I say.

But did you even listen to it?

The point of the thread is to look at songs very different to what the artist is usually like.
Since you're on a guitar forum, I assume you like guitar.
Therefore, forget what you know about BMTH and enjoy a good tune.
Quote by Weaponized

Wha...

What just happened..
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by tyler_j

The point of the thread is to look at songs very different to what the artist is usually like.

I'm dressing up as Oli Sykes for Halloween and I fully expect to have the shit kicked into me. I have nothing to contribute having said that, apart from maybe this song.
Quote by tyler_j

I agree with the comment on there "I feel bad for the people that listen to this song and think "Wow, this is so good!" Then go out and buy their CD."
It is a damn good song, but so drastically different to the rest of their stuff.
This is why so many people torrent albums before they buy them
Quote by tyler_j

Yes, it's different from anything else I've ever heard from them.

But still.

That was boring.

And all the comments on there are just scene kids perfectly content with jerking off to two chords.
XBL GamerTag = IAmSentient6

My gear:
Ibanez Artist
ESP ltd Viper 200
Schecter Diamond 8

Amps:
Marhshall MG30 (for sale)
Line 6 Spider III Half Stack (mine forever)
Interested in Melodic Thrash Metal? ALUSTRIUM AND LAST NAIL DRIVEN!
Quote by SkepsisMetal
I agree with the comment on there "I feel bad for the people that listen to this song and think "Wow, this is so good!" Then go out and buy their CD."
It is a damn good song, but so drastically different to the rest of their stuff.
This is why so many people torrent albums before they buy them

Yeah...I wish I wasn't adverse to torrents...it would have saved me $20

Quote by CaRveItiNbass
Yes, it's different from anything else I've ever heard from them.

But still.

That was boring.

And all the comments on there are just scene kids perfectly content with jerking off to two chords.

The rest of their stuff is shocking. It makes me sick to know their latest album was #1 here. (In what, from memory, was the lowest week for record sales in this country, and they came out on top somehow).
Last edited by tyler_j at Oct 10, 2011,
Quote by AeolianSeventh
"Trainfire" by Devin Townsend. He's chugging along with a dark, heavy, atmospheric metal album, and suddenly he transforms into Elvis.

This.

And when I had only heard the Alien album from Strapping Young Lad then heard Let It Roll by Devin Townsend Band. Blew my mind.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
comfortably numb, the first time i heard that second guitar solo years ago, I like froze and got massive chills
Please call me Rainer, was 16 and empty minded when I made my profile.

Sometimes I talk to myself too...but never on the internet.
I was listening to Bowie's Low for the first time. That surprised me.
Pentonville by Babyshambles
There Are No Diamonds In The Mine - Leonard Cohen
Power To The People - John Lennon (mostly in terms of my reaction when that specific song starts as the last song on Plastic Ono Band, absolutely horrible context.)
What A Waster - The Libertines, I've always had a hard time connecting the dots when it comes to this song. Yes, the sound is very Libertines but I remember this song so much from when I was younger, then I forgot about it, started to listen to The Libertines, somehow missed that song and realised it a lot later. And by then it just felt weird, What A Waster was not associated with The Libertines in any shape or form so whenever I hear it I think of Football Factory and like 3-4 years before I even listened to The Libertines.

Long rant over/
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
My head is my only house unless it rains - Captain Beefheart

It's really pretty i never expected to hear something like that , i love Beefhearts weird music too but that song is beautiful, the entire clear spot album is an underrated beefheart album
21st Century Schizoid Man - King Crimson

I bought the album thinking most of the songs would be like this...but they weren't

Oh well, the album itself is good (except for the tedious 'Moon Child') and I'm in love with KC now
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
Quote by Zoot Allures
My head is my only house unless it rains - Captain Beefheart

It's really pretty i never expected to hear something like that , i love Beefhearts weird music too but that song is beautiful, the entire clear spot album is an underrated beefheart album

Wow, that's a brilliant piece
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
The Fall of Troy - FCPremix
I bought doppelganger thinking that it would mostly sound like that. I was ****ing wrong. After a few months though...actually I think maybe even a year, I actually ended up loving it. I'm really bad about getting into new bands, I'll end up liking one song, and I won't check out any of the other songs until months later...or in most cases, never.
Quote by Colgate Total
I have my girlfriend's Facebook password. Which means she clicked "Remember Password" when she logged in on my laptop. Which means this is a test. That bitch.